Chippy Tea

Onyx2

• Paid Members

Chippy near me does Kebabs and Pizzas. Needless to say their kebab is shit and their chips are shit because they're half arsing everything instead of full arsing being a proper chippy.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, FelatioLips said:

Chippy near me does Kebabs and Pizzas. Needless to say their kebab is shit and their chips are shit because they're half arsing everything instead of full arsing being a proper chippy.

I HATEĀ kebab shops that pretend to be chippys. Fucking state of them.Ā 

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Precisely. I don't like kebabs but I have no problem with them beyond the fact that they fucking reek. But I'm not getting a chip barm from a place that does doner kebabs and pizza.

#FreeTommy

• Paid Members

No real chippy sells pizza, let's not entertain that for a second.

Well, except that Scottish one that sells you onion rings, nuggets, battered pizza, fish, what looked like real chippy chips, a bottle of Irn Bru, the entire roster of WCW/nWo Revenge and a verse of Killing Me Softly for Ā£9.99.

No donner meat though so presumably "real chippy" status retained. Phew!

• Moderators
54 minutes ago, air_raid said:

No real chippy sells pizza, let's not entertain that for a second.

Well, except that Scottish one that sells you onion rings, nuggets, battered pizza, fish, what looked like real chippy chips, a bottle of Irn Bru, the entire roster of WCW/nWo Revenge and a verse of Killing Me Softly for Ā£9.99.

No donner meat though so presumably "real chippy" status retained. Phew!

They're Porridge Wogs though, a step above the Micks. You have to let them off, they don't know any better, same as the English.

• Paid Members

There is a chippy in Leicester on Woodgate that serves just fish and chips. No Kebabs. Even their chip butties are served between two slices of white bread. No cobs here. Its a tiny place and only opens a couple of times a week. The sort of place where somebody has converted their front room into a Chip shop. It's like walking into a time warp, with the decor being kept period. They had an old World of Sport poster up the last time I was in there.

It's owned/run by a sprightly old gentleman. Who I'm pretty sure only opens up for fun. The Chips are handcut and thinner and longer than the usual fare available in Leicester. Worth checking out if only for the nostalgia. It's like a tiny working museum.

Edited by BigJag

If a real chippy doesn't sell pizza then I don't think Glasgow has more than a handful of them. Deep fried is standard everywhere and quite a few have a proper oven too.

One down the road from me does kebab, pizza and southern fried chicken. However, they also do the best sausage supper within a 10 mile radius.Ā 

• Paid Members

I never knew deep fried pizza was a real thing until this thread. And I really really want one.

Also, to settle the discourse on whether a 'proper chippie' can sell kebabs;

AF1QipMDc_d5cgrHl9nKhWoAFvOMPWkFXq4INdvg

This is one of my local chippies. Does a banging mixed kebab meat with large chips, plus the occasionsĀ I've settled for a fish and scallops w/curry sauce and chips combo have been marvelous. Proper thick-cut chippie chips, proper battered fish, traditional chippie menu (and that included kebabs, as is tradition in the West Midlands)Ā 8/10.

Ā 

mama-mia.jpg

This is a kebab/pizza shop. Drunken student food located in a student heavy area near my area. Sloppy kebabs and greasy pizzas, served with Farmfoods french fries in those foam boxes. 3/10 (or 5.5/10 when off your tits).

As you can see, MASSIVE difference. Proper chippies serve kebabs (but not pizza unless it's deep fried).

Edited by Accident Prone
Spelling and shite

• Paid Members

I've not been to the Hoggs Lane carboot in ages! Used to go quite often, butĀ not beenĀ this year becauseĀ we found a really good one near Burton-On-Trent instead. I might try and catch another Hogger though before the weather goes to put as it was a decent trawl.

My main go-to from Egghill is the traditionalĀ large mixed-kebab meat w/chips and mint+mayo sauce. I'm salivating for one right now. It's a great little chippy with a great location next to the Tesco, so you can grab some extras along the way.

• Paid Members

Me and the family are staying in a cottage in Devon for the week, the chippies here are pretty damn good to be fair. Proper chips, wooden forks galore.

We're in one as we speak, here's the menu. Would prefer not to see burgers on the menu, I can't stand takeaway burgers, but at least there's no kebabs, pizza, southern fried chicken etc. I've found the larger the menu, the more likely it is going to be shit and the chips will be awful.

20180823_115627.jpg