Chippy Tea

Onyx2

34 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

It's difficult to even find a proper chippy that doesn't also sell kebabs here and it's been that way for a loong time.

Yep, Seemed every place in Cov was like that.  In fact, Cov kebab house near the police station made me realise that there was more than one type of kebab.  That place is ace, I think because the kebab meat is so different from the ones you get in chippies made me think it was "Proper" kebab meat.  CKH either did the nicest one in the world or served up fan belts in pitta.  I loved it when they briefly branched out and opened a shop opposite Poster Place, perfect for some post Colly nosh.

Edited by Keith Houchen
Salad chilli soss?

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

A chippy that sells kebabs is a takeaway. It's not a chippy.

Baffling. I'd consider "takeaway" to be a joint whose primary lure is kebabs or the items that a chippy never sells - a large variety of fried chicken items, or pizza, never fish and proper chip shop chips but fries. Despite calling them chips on the menu. Distinguishable from a chippy by virtue of not selling fish and chips, a very common outlet in this Greater Manchester of yours. I don't dispute that oop ere a proper chippy that does a donner is a very rare thing (I go to one in Partington) but the inclusion of an extra choice surely can't negate the innate chippyness of the eaterie??

Or to play semantics, ALL chippies are takeaways, not all takeaways can claim to be chippies.

EDIT - @Rey_Piste .... looking at that menu.... red onion gravy?? Sweet potato fries??? SORBET?? If a sweaty kebab stops a place being a "chippy" this place should be hosting one of the finals week challenges on MasterChef.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Or a garish shirt?

That's the second draft. The list of reasons D'Von has to disqualify it as a proper chippy is longer than a crazyshady post.

39 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Or to play semantics, ALL chippies are takeaways, not all takeaways can claim to be chippies

As an aside, both Royal Cod and Atlantic Fish Bar in Chorlton have seated areas and even proper plates.  Poor old Devon would have a Scanners moment if they did kebabs as well.