Chippy Tea

Onyx2

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Oh god, here we go.

Irony, thy name is Bacon.

• Paid Members

I know the battle lines have already been drawn as to the kebab in the chip shop, so there is no need to retread old ground, but the rise of the chicken tikka kebab in the half-and-half style with the regular chicken kebab is an abomination. It's like a half-and-half football scarf, no place for it. The tikka also seems to have no flavour. I stand fully behind my earlier words. It's an abomination. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

the rise of the chicken tikka kebab in the half-and-half style with the regular chicken kebab is an abomination. It's like a half-and-half football scarf, no place for it. The tikka also seems to have no flavour. I stand fully behind my earlier words. It's an abomination. 

I think YMMV here, massively. At mama raid's preferred chippy, there's a distinct difference in flavours. The original "chicken kebab meat" which they've been doing since the 90s is now named "Mediterranean chicken" (though they always put "pl. chicken" for "plain" on the box) tastes like what, with decades of horizons broadening we'd now know as gyros/shawarma. It's my favourite of the two. The chicken tikka kebab meat always has a fantastic crust and lovely colour once it's carved, and tastes like chicken tikka from a good Indian. In years gone by I used to vary between "chicken kebab meat and chips" with garlic mayo and mild chilli, or tikka and chips with just garlic. But mama raid likes mixed because she doesnt like choosing. I'll let her off, she's 73 now.

As an aside, I may have mentioned, the chippy briefly had peri peri chicken kebab available too. I tried it, it was pretty nice, but obviously didn't sell well and they stopped doing it. With four different elephant legs rotating behind the fish/sausages/pies/scallops, it did make the place look more like a "kebab shop" than many shite kebab shops (with no fish, peas or pies, shit fries, pizzas, nuggets, potato wedges from Iceland, milkshakes, chocolate cake etc) I've been in. 

1 hour ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I know the battle lines have already been drawn as to the kebab in the chip shop, so there is no need to retread old ground

33 minutes ago, air_raid said:

chippy

Someone needs a refresher training.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Oh god, here we go.

10 minutes ago, King Coconut said:

Someone needs a refresher training.

A new player has entered the chat.

• Paid Members

Finally a forecast for sun without wind, a cold snap or a % chance of rain, so we headed to Llandudno. Long term readers of this thread probably won’t remember the long affair soon to be Mrs raid (4 weeks) and I have had with Barnacles, so after a few hours looking at tat on the pier but buying nothing, chatting to seagulls and letting other dogs sniff our dog, we headed up.

IMG_3994.thumb.jpeg.ad6290a285f56852924397cbbce557a8.jpegIMG_3996.thumb.jpeg.d9148375d0916bcd2ecd5555d5b6fc89.jpeg
Haddock each, large chips to share, curry sauce and onion rings, £22. Fish tasty and fresh, chips crisp, onion rings though not listed on the menu as “beer battered” were pub style and I could taste a little beer, in contrast to a hundred times I’ve bought “beer battered onion rings” and tasted none. The Pole says this is the best chippy we go to but for me none of the ones we’ve repeat visited on their best day have lived up to the only time we went to Les & Rita in Rhyl, both the best fish and best chips I ever had. She doesn’t remember it that well which she attributes to being distracted by the police activity/standoff at gunpoint over the road.

Although maybe we need a mod for the thread as I’m not sure Barnacles is a chippy. They sell tea & coffee, soup, lasagne, sandwiches* and jacket potatoes to take away too so they’re probably a cafe. But the eat in section has a license and sells beer so they might be a pub. Although their vegan options have swelled to include falafel, Quorn chicken stuff, Moving Mountains burgers and hot dogs and vegan muffins, and there are gluten free apple crumbles, so it’s probably a healthy living shop.

* Probably have to validate that these are real sandwiches.

18 minutes ago, air_raid said:

She doesn’t remember it that well which she attributes to being distracted by the police activity/standoff at gunpoint over the road.

When was the gun story? There's 170 here and I want to narrow it down a bit. 

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, Donald J Trump said:

When was the gun story? There's 170 here and I want to narrow it down a bit. 

June 3rd 2023 according to my post in here.

• Paid Members

Sorry for the double post but....

On 5/15/2024 at 1:03 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

RYAN GOSLING — THE NICE GUYS.

Blame yourself.

On 8/17/2018 at 1:08 AM, Devon Malcolm said:

No. That's a kebab shop staple. If you want kebabs go to a kebab shop! I don't go to a kebab shop for a goddamn chip barm! This fucking country! #brexitmeansbrexit

• Paid Members

Large cod and chips with curry sauce on the side and away from the fish. They had no large sausages so sent us all 2 smalls each.

IMG_9265.thumb.jpeg.37e78fdd56b6c3f37c49ce6b174e4732.jpeg

My mate got a mixed kebab shwarma and cut it open lengthways to pour garlic sauce in then ate it with a knife and fork?

My wife got a chip butty with a curry splash and stole a bit of my fish.

Very tasty all round!

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, FLips said:

Large cod and chips with curry sauce on the side and away from the fish. They had no large sausages so sent us all 2 smalls each.

Check out Lord FLips getting his chippy tea delivered to him!

million dollar man cash GIF