Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Factotum said:

Stuart Taylor is an odd one. Started well at Arsenal, won a league medal. Was never going to be amazing but he then fell into the 'Steve Harper' role of being a No.2 or 3. He got paid handsomely I imagine, but I bet the number of games he's played is incredibly low. Are some players just happy to sit around on a bench and watch football whilst getting paid? (stupid question really)

He was very fortunate at Arsenal. He wasn't that good, and when he won the league in 2002 he made fewer appearances than two other keepers- injuries to Spunky and Richard Wright meant we HAD to play our third choice keeper. I don't think he was ever destined to be anything more than a back-up. But hey, somebody's got to do it. Some are happy to play 2nd or 3rd fiddle at a big club than be a starter in the lower leagues, it's still an important role. It's probably going to bode better for their post-playing career being part of a bigger team team as well.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Briefcase said:

Just looked at Wiki and Stuart Taylor only made 78 appearances (not sure on starts) in 20 years between all his clubs.  

https://www.transfermarkt.com/stuart-taylor/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/3190/saison//verein/0/liga/0/wettbewerb/GB1/pos/0/trainer_id/0/plus/1

The amount of red (not in squad) and yellow (on bench) throughout his career is astonishing.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Why do Chelsea fans hate Mourinho exactly? He had a shit few months and they got rid, but he's the best manager in their history by a mile. That Chelsea side of 2004-05 was immense.

Needling the club and Conte since leaving in press conferences etc. That and him going on about 'disrespect' and stuff when we beat United at home 4-0 a couple of years ago and the crowd/manager celebrated that. It's nothing to do with the performances 3 years ago. I wouldn't say it's hatred either, but people aren't going to sit in deference to any former manager when they give it the biggun in the manner Jose does.

This is one rare occasion where I will go to bat for our often loutish fans. We're pretty good in terms of cheering former players and the like, but I don't think you can really expect much else at this point in time, especially when he has as meltdown on the touchline. It'll all be water under a bridge in a few years time for both sides I would imagine.

Unbelievable the chelsea fans giving Mourinhio shit today. Was also funny seeing him get shit. Has to be the most hated man in the game. Everyone hates him, fans, pundits, players.....the only bloke i seen like him was some emotional geordie on the Sunday supplement a few weeks ago.  

1 hour ago, Porkchopcash said:

Unbelievable the chelsea fans giving Mourinhio shit today. Was also funny seeing him get shit. Has to be the most hated man in the game. Everyone hates him, fans, pundits, players.....the only bloke i seen like him was some emotional geordie on the Sunday supplement a few weeks ago.  

100% this would have been Neil Custis. When ever he's in the company of proper sports writers he's usually ganged up on and shown up. Even that tit Mike Parry had him off.

I'm chuffed for Jose getting his move to the big club. Long may it continue.

I was watching the Huddersfield game on a stream that had Lee Dixon as the pundit.  When Salah was given MOTM "By the local broadcaster", Dixon said he couldn't understand why as he was useless bar the goal.  The commentator asked him who he'd have given it to instead and after a minute of umming and ahhing, he said he'd get back to him on that.  Stealing a living.