Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

It's brilliant engineerin but the architecture element has been concentrated outside and around the concourses and glass tunnels and shit. Inside it is a little bland. One pic I saw looked like it had executive boxes around the top though which would be very different and one hell of a view.

I'll look forward to visiting because I'm sure it'll be very impressive in person. Any Spuds know what they've done to improve transport? Because WHL was the most inconvenient London stadium I've been to being a long walk from any tube with just the overground nearby. That would be a nightmare for a stadium twice the size, surely?

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Went away to Craven Cottage on Sunday and it made me sad at how much the same modern stadiums are now. Craven Cottage is always a great away day, but I just love the ground's look. It just makes me miss that great architecture of old.

I love the Cottage, it's my favourite away day, and I've loved ticking off some of the few "proper" grounds that we've been to in the last 5 or 6 years like Bury, Accrington and Peterborough. I don't think we'd appreciate them as "proper" grounds though without the influx of Leicesters, Southamptons, etc. All these identikit stadiums of the past 20 years are great for commercial income, for attracting a wider (maybe wealthier) fanbase and for other money raising activity. They're safe, smart and functional. But, honestly, nowhere near as much fun.

Part of that is the all-seating though. We had a tremendous time at Burton last year on the terrace and really, that's as much of a meccano kit as any but standing together, singing and having a good time is better on a terrace. We won 5-0 too which helps. That already seems a million years ago.

Coventry, Leicester and Southampton all changed stadiums (or is it stadia, isnt it?) seemingly around the same time.  Highfield Road, Filbert Street and The Dell may have been shitholes but they were OUR shitholes.  We went from three unique grounds to MFI self assembly kits.  

The crowd isn't the twelfth man, the stadium is.  I think it was Matt Le Tissier said once that big clubs hated coming to our poxy little stadiums as it was like a step down for them.  Facilities such as the pitches and changing rooms weren't as good as theirs and the crowds were closer to the pitch, there was an intimidation.  Whereas now, using Cov as an example, we play our trade in the lower leagues and the reverse is true.  Teams enjoy coming to our ground as its one of the best in the division with facilities to match. It isn't Wembley or anything but it's a big place and a day out for a lot of smaller clubs and fans.

i guess it was the same for the Walkers and St Mary's.

Its sad that the old grounds are also just totally gone. The nice thing about Highbury is it is essentially still there. The East and West stands are still standing, with the marble halls intact. Its nice to walk past the day of a game and still see it there. Whereas a lot of the grounds are just lost forever. Isn't the old Baseball ground now a car park? I know it sounds stupidly nostalgic and it is really, but there's just a lot I miss about Football.

• Paid Members

A decent part of me likes the fact that the Bridge renovation/rebuild has been delayed for that reason (and the fact that we'll probably end up playing in Milton Keynes). Despite it being a bit shit and far too small, I get the feeling we'll inevitably end up with an indentikit ground interior once all is said and done, despite the fact that we will have to operate slightly differently from the Emirates/New WHL mould because we can't just build a new stadium up the road..

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

I'll look forward to visiting because I'm sure it'll be very impressive in person. Any Spuds know what they've done to improve transport? Because WHL was the most inconvenient London stadium I've been to being a long walk from any tube with just the overground nearby. That would be a nightmare for a stadium twice the size, surely?

They're in the process/planning to improve White Hart Lane station but it's still going to be a shitshow for the foreseeable future.

Just like Spurs lul

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

That toilet seat still holds a better atmosphere than the Emirates.

In all seriousness, if claims are to be believed, the place has been designed with the atmosphere in mind. I haven't got measurements to hand, but I think the fans are going to be closer to the pitch than at the Emirates and they've built it with some kind of acoustic voodoo in order that the sound stays in the ground as opposed to just kind of dispersing. I clearly forget the details, but something like that. I do wish that we could have built something other than a bowl, though.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

In all seriousness, if claims are to be believed, the place has been designed with the atmosphere in mind. 

They say that about all new stadia. And they're almost always atmosphere-less.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

They say that about all new stadia. And they're almost always atmosphere-less.

Won't know until we get there, but I'm hoping the single tier stand might help with that. We'll see.