Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

As an outsider looking in, one of the main problems with Woodward's player recruitment is the complete lack of consistency in signings. With Man City, or Liverpool, or even Chelsea this year, you understand why players are being signed, as they all ostensibly improve a chosen style of play and system.

Conversely, with United, it's like Woodward is playing manager mode on Fifa and buying players purely on overall stats, and not the attributes that will benefit the team. A large part of the responsibility for not coaching and finding a formula that works for those players is undoubtedly Mourinho. However, for the astromical money spent and the quality of players bought, it's amazing what a ragtag bunch the United squad seem.

• Paid Members

Woodward to me lost my faith when he went out trying to buy (allegedly) Ronaldo, Bale, Modric, Fabregas or Özil, and ended up with Fellaini. What was he trying to influence that any one of those players would have fixed? There's nothing in common. It was just "gotta by someone." Like playing Football Manager.

Why is everyone having a pop about the United board regarding Mourinho's impending departure? It was the same with Guardiola replacing Pellegrino at Man City. Conte was in limbo for months at Chelsea. I'm not saying the board have been great, but this isn't a new thing. Its pretty commonplace for the big boys and will only get worse under the microscope of top flight football as years go on. The manager has been backed to the hilt financially. He's pissed on his squad repeatedly. José has ruined himself big time. If anyone thinks United have been run poorly, try supporting Charlton or Coventry.

• Paid Members

13 minutes ago, The Maestro said:

Why is everyone having a pop about the United board regarding Mourinho's impending departure? It was the same with Guardiola replacing Pellegrino at Man City. Conte was in limbo for months at Chelsea. 

Those respective clubs took pelters for their actions too in fairness, City were roundly criticised for the way they treated Pellegrini by keeping him in the dark and then announcing Pep before the end of the season. Many Chelsea fans were behind Conte until the end and have been vocal in how he was treated (the club leaving it so long to sack him) and also for failing to strengthen the squad after winning the league (yet again). Gus' posts in here since summer 2017 are good examples.

• Paid Members

But I think that's what the likes of Neville are getting at- the chances are that whoever comes in probably won't do a good job. All hasn't been forgotten in the cases of Moyes and LVG because their respective successors didn't do a good job either. Three managers post-Fergie with a lot of money spent and they still don't look like a genuine title-challenging team. If the managers have been wrong appointments, then the board aren't doing their job correctly. If the managers have been right appointments, but the recruitment hasn't been good enough, then again the board aren't doing their job correctly.

Although it works for Chelsea, for United I don't think the revolving door manager approach works because the infrastructure is clearly fractured.

Edited by PunkStep

1 hour ago, air_raid said:

Woodward to me lost my faith when he went out trying to buy (allegedly) Ronaldo, Bale, Modric, Fabregas or Özil, and ended up with Fellaini. What was he trying to influence that any one of those players would have fixed? There's nothing in common. It was just "gotta by someone." Like playing Football Manager.

To be fair to Woodward wasn't it the collective powers of Giggseh and the lesser Neville who persuaded Moyes that Thiago wasn't United quality. I remember reading it and thinking it was the first step to becoming Liverpool. Then all that not the 'United Way' stuff popped up more frequently and they were the new Souness' Liverpool.

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, Brewster McCloud said:

Surely the recruitment has been more than adequate? United have spent a shitload and they have a great squad - who wouldn't want Pogba, Matic, Sanchez and De Gea?. It's looking increasingly like a case of a bad workman blaming his tools. 

It's definitely a bit of both. Spending money is one thing, but spending it wisely and improving the areas required is something else.

When United spent £35m on Sanchez in January, months before he was available for free, were they crying out for players on the left? They were desperate for somebody on the opposite flank if anything. Then Jose supposedly gave a list of players he wanted in the summer and none of them were signed. Either the board couldn't get them or they thought 'fuck it, you can't be trusted to tell us which players you want after we got Bailly and Lindelof for you and you don't like them', which if that is the case then why did they persevere with him?

In my view Jose is the biggest reason this has gone to shit, but the board are also culpable and have been for years. To be honest, long may it continue!

I think it's mostly to do with players like Sanchez being signed to guarenteed contracts for crazy money regardless of whether or not they actually do their job. Performance related pay is what the soccer world needs, that would sort out these flouncing mercenaries. 

Edited by Brewster McCloud
grammar

15 minutes ago, Brewster McCloud said:

Just out of interest, and apologies for derailing the thread, but what does a Coventrarian like yourself think of the Scotch pronouncing it "Cuventry"?

Couldn't give a shit, to be honest.

2 minutes ago, Brewster McCloud said:

Thought so, just wondered if that might actually be the "correct" way to say it based on ancient etymology or something.

The two disputed origins are "Coffa's Tree" but nobody knows who the fuck he was and "Coventre" with is town of the convent.  

Either way, it's accepted that the early monks and those of the surrounding monasteries used to meet on "Jimmy's Hill" which was the most prominent mound, or "Chinn" as the Saxons called them, of the area, bigger than both "Stingschinn" and "Haitchbeakayschinn".  

The best mound though, was "Houchinn"