Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Yea those 6 games he played Last September before being injured for a year definitely warrant an England call up.

The model Southgate has built isn't about club form, that's been obvious for a year or more. Which is a good thing because half of them either don't play or are having their spirit crushed by a miserable ogre on a daily basis.

• Paid Members

Pleased for James Maddison. I know he’s not playing for the mustard anymore but he’s still very highly thought of among us. He actually came to watch us away at Derby last night (in the away end to boot). Has started very brightly at Leicester too. He’s full of confidence, has bags of talent and initial impressions are that he has a good head on young shoulders. Wish him well. 

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

But a truthful bastard also.

Nah. They were never taking players to the World Cup who had such little experience. Players no-one was talking about. Look at the reaction from TMZ~! and his White Van Man types to a player who has been on the fringe of it for years and progressed through Southgate's U21 set-up. imagine it if he called up a lad from Dortmund's reserves.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Nah. They were never taking players to the World Cup who had such little experience. Players no-one was talking about. Look at the reaction from TMZ~! and his White Van Man types to a player who has been on the fringe of it for years and progressed through Southgate's U21 set-up. imagine it if he called up a lad from Dortmund's reserves.

That is the reason England have only a couple of times come close to winning anything in the last 52 years. Basically throwing in the towel and settling for mediocrity before the tournament even started.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

That is the reason England have only a couple of times come close to winning anything in the last 52 years. Basically throwing in the towel and settling for mediocrity before the tournament even started.

Odd comment. For all their faults, they progressed further than imagined at that tournament with a squad that man for man isn't as good as most of the big teams in Europe or the best of South America and did so by fostering a club-like attitude and picking players that suited them rather than names. Can't say it ever crossed my mind that we might have beaten Croatia if only we'd taken Mason Mount.

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Jacko said:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the New England squad quite exciting for me all those youngsters given a chance 

Quite excited to see Maddison and Sancho there. I've been very impressed by Maddison so far this season, he's adjusted to life in the Premier League very well so far. He's already a key component of the Leicester set-up. I haven't seen much of Sancho so I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can do, seeing as he's leading the assists chart across Europe's top 5 league...with only a couple of hundred hours of game time.

Surprised by the inclusion of Mount. He's doing well at Derby, but it's a bit of a jump in quality given the two teams England will be facing.

No Sessegnon- but then again he's not found his feet yet and there's no way he's getting in ahead of the insatiable Danny Welbeck.

Also hoping we see Gomez carve himself a starting XI place soon- he's been brilliant so far this season. Likewise with TAA, although he has pretty tough competition in Trippier (and Walker, if Southgate decides not to deply him in a back 3).

I get the feeling that with quite a few young new midfielders in the mix Southgate is hoping to start finding some strong midfielders with a view to eventually move away from having 5/3 at the back. Always got the impression that playing that formation was mainly due to a lack of quality midfield options.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Odd comment. For all their faults, they progressed further than imagined at that tournament with a squad that man for man isn't as good as most of the big teams in Europe or the best of South America and did so by fostering a club-like attitude and picking players that suited them rather than names. Can't say it ever crossed my mind that we might have beaten Croatia if only we'd taken Mason Mount.

It's not an odd comment. As soon as they played anyone good, they weren't good enough. Hammering Panama papered over the cracks. The complaints were there that there wasn't enough creativity in midfield so why didn't they take someone who was a creative midfielder? If there were no senior options available, what harm would it have done to have taken Phil Foden?

You're the one saying that Southgate now pays no attention to club form - so why would it be so peculiar to have taken a "Borussia Dortmund reserve"?

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It's not an odd comment. As soon as they played anyone good, they weren't good enough. Hammering Panama papered over the cracks. The complaints were there that there wasn't enough creativity in midfield so why didn't they take someone who was a creative midfielder? If there were no senior options available, what harm would it have done to have taken Phil Foden?

You're the one saying that Southgate now pays no attention to club form - so why would it be so peculiar to have taken a "Borussia Dortmund reserve"?

I didn't say no attention. Players still have to catch the eye somewhere. But players who are part of his group or have been part of the U21s are trusted by him regardless of club form. Similarly, players who they've decided aren't the right ones (e.g. Joe Hart) aren't coming back on the back of good club games.

Foden is an interesting one. I think he could have done with being part of the squad given what it looks like he can bring. But I think he's the answer to a question that came about during the World Cup. We did great but it was clear that to progress again, we need to be able to unlock teams. Hindsight is wonderful.

I always thought Maradona was the greatest player of all time until last night, but seeing Messi in the flesh has done it for me. No one has come close to him before, no one ever will.

You know when you're sat in the stands and you have the benefit of seeing the whole pitch, spaces, little balls that could played etc? Yeah, well he does all that from pitch level. It's as if he is simultaneously playing on the grass and there's a little Leo floating above him, drone style, conveying all the messages for through balls to him. It's unreal. And it's the little things. The cushion for his first goal to take it back across goal was sublime.

I know none of this is news to any of us, but it was a privilege. We should all be thankful that we get to see him whilst we're alive.

• Paid Members

English players shouldn't join big clubs and sit on the bench, they won't get picked, they should remain at their smaller clubs and get the experience.

Unless of course you're Ryan Sessegnon, a player that suits that LWB role to a bastard tee.

I feel a bit sorry for Coady, I know it's Old Gold tinted specs, but the lad has been brilliant for us all last season (where he was apparently told Championship players wouldn't be selected, ahem Mount) and now he's doing really well in the Prem, he's also (apparently) the only English centre back playing in the centre of a 3, but Tarkowski gets in the squad even though his distribution is  and average.

Edited by Teedy Kay

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I know none of this is news to any of us

Honestly, reading through twitter last night, I was thiking that maybe it was. It was like "Have these people never seen this little genius before?"