Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Bruce is one of those managers that I have never understood the hype about. He might have a decent season or two, but they are so few and far between I wouldn't touch him with a bargepole.  

• Paid Members

Bored at work, so I have been thinking about José Mário dos Santos Mourinho Félix.

His time is almost up. Unless he can miraculously turn things around (which is something he’s not exactly proven in doing), he’s got to be on one of those ‘number of games remaining’ countdowns. Zizou is probably having lunch with Woodward as we speak, wooing him with his…je ne sais quoi.

He was booed by the United fans last night and even his captain (which is Antonio Valencia, it seems) has been in a bit of bother today for liking a post that called for Jose to be sacked. There’s the Pogba shit storm at the moment, the Martial situation from the summer and 2 years of bullying little Luke Shaw.

This is 2015 all over again, and that situation only got terribly worse until Chelsea (defending league champions, no less) were hovering nervously above the relegation zone. The extremely long presser following the loss to Leicester was the end.

What a fucking mess, but how can this be a surprise to anyone? Why on earth did the United board think they were getting something long term with Jose when history has proved every single time that he’s not in it for the long haul? Last season I would say he fulfilled his job of turning the club around and making them one of the big boys again. Off the back of winning the League Cup and Europa League, they finished 2nd- not too shabby with a rejuvenated Liverpool and excellent Spurs breathing down their necks, both of whom finished above United the previous season. But in my view, that was job done for Jose. Thank you for steering the ship, now off you go to Paris, Italy or wherever. Get somebody fresh in, with fresh ideas and a more modern approach to try and take things even further.

The board really shit the bed by keeping him and they are now in a terrible position. The league position isn’t the main issue, as it is still early doors, it’s the untenable relationship with the players that's showing absolutely no sign of improving. You don’t get rid of 25 players (especially with the quality they have), you get rid of the manager- whether they are just as culpable or not. Otherwise, this cannot be fixed.

So everyone, WHEN does he go? After the next loss? After the next x amount of losses? Do they review things at Christmas, the halfway point of the season, before making a decision or do they see if United progress from their CL group? Perhaps they wait until it’s mathematically impossible to achieve a target, like they did with Moyes, especially after handing him a new contract not long ago.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Bored at work, so I have been thinking about José Mário dos Santos Mourinho Félix.

His time is almost up. Unless he can miraculously turn things around (which is something he’s not exactly proven in doing), he’s got to be on one of those ‘number of games remaining’ countdowns. Zizou is probably having lunch with Woodward as we speak, wooing him with his…je ne sais quoi.

He was booed by the United fans last night and even his captain (which is Antonio Valencia, it seems) has been in a bit of bother today for liking a post that called for Jose to be sacked. There’s the Pogba shit storm at the moment, the Martial situation from the summer and 2 years of bullying little Luke Shaw.

This is 2015 all over again, and that situation only got terribly worse until Chelsea (defending league champions, no less) were hovering nervously above the relegation zone. The extremely long presser following the loss to Leicester was the end.

What a fucking mess, but how can this be a surprise to anyone? Why on earth did the United board think they were getting something long term with Jose when history has proved every single time that he’s not in it for the long haul? Last season I would say he fulfilled his job of turning the club around and making them one of the big boys again. Off the back of winning the League Cup and Europa League, they finished 2nd- not too shabby with a rejuvenated Liverpool and excellent Spurs breathing down their necks, both of whom finished above United the previous season. But in my view, that was job done for Jose. Thank you for steering the ship, now off you go to Paris, Italy or wherever. Get somebody fresh in, with fresh ideas and a more modern approach to try and take things even further.

The board really shit the bed by keeping him and they are now in a terrible position. The league position isn’t the main issue, as it is still early doors, it’s the untenable relationship with the players that's showing absolutely no sign of improving. You don’t get rid of 25 players (especially with the quality they have), you get rid of the manager- whether they are just as culpable or not. Otherwise, this cannot be fixed.

So everyone, WHEN does he go? After the next loss? After the next x amount of losses? Do they review things at Christmas, the halfway point of the season, before making a decision or do they see if United progress from their CL group? Perhaps they wait until it’s mathematically impossible to achieve a target, like they did with Moyes, especially after handing him a new contract not long ago.

I think he will get until January, where if he either isn't in, or close to the top 4 he will fucked off. I'm not sure Zidane is the right person for that particular job though. 

Also, if reports are to be believed, Woodward's job is also on the line and Utd are looking to follow the Director of Football model in the near future to allow greater continuity if a manager is sacked, so the management structure could well look a lot different.

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

Also, if reports are to be believed, Woodward's job is also on the line and Utd are looking to follow the Director of Football model in the near future to allow greater continuity if a manager is sacked, so the management structure could well look a lot different.

Pretty sure the apparent pending appointment of a director will be a new role so that Woodward doesn't have to become so involved. I'd imagine the Glazers are delighted with the commercial results within his role- United have secured some insanely lucrative deals in recent years during his tenure. He is a Glazer guy after all, he worked on their acquisition of the club in the first place. I don't see him going anywhere.

You get the impression the board are frightened to sack him based on performances. 

So they are just waiting for another reason to sack him, its just a matter of time before Mourinho takes things to new levels. Whether thats throwing a platinum iPhone at Rashford, poking Martial in the eye or attacking the physio when Sanchez rolls around for 10 minutes when they are close to beating Newcastle on the weekend. 

It will be curtains for Jose if Newcastle take anything, but they are rank and it's difficult to envisage Man Utd not winning. Their run of games after that:

Chelsea (a)
Juventus (h)
Everton (h)
Bournemouth (a)
Juventus (a)
Man City (a)

I will call it that he will go after a bad result away to Bournemouth, probably a defeat. I don't think they would sack him for losses against Juve or Chelsea (unless they were heavy defeats) but away to Bournemouth would present a reasonable chance for dismissal if things don't go to plan. Then again, if he hangs on until the City game then you could equally see them winning 1-0 in the Etihad out of sheer bloody-mindedness, sort of like last season.

• Paid Members

Who would actually want to go to Villa in their current predicament?

They have potential money from the new investors, but they're not only constrained by FFP, but constrained by the fact the Chinese Doctor has placed Villa on the precipice of FFP penalties already.

For instance, this year's parachute payment they received, Xia had already taken loans out against that income and spent it. Added to this that Brucey will be taking a healthy sum for being let go, Villa are not looking good. With the rule changes to stop club's doing a 'Bournemouth' and having to show accounts mid season, a points deduction certainly looks on the horizon and transfer embargoes too.

Why would any manager be looking at that predicament and rubbing their hands together. Villa need a good few years of spending nothing to be able to spend big to get up. Or they'll face sanction after sanction.

They should go for Warnock, he can get players in for little, get teams to scrap their way out the division, only years of spending nothing or getting out the EFL will allow Villa's new owners the ability to spend.

Edited by Teedy Kay