Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

1 minute ago, tiger_rick said:

Honestly, reading through twitter last night, I was thiking that maybe it was. It was like "Have these people never seen this little genius before?"

Twitter is mostly full of freaks called Kloppoholic or XhakaMania who know nothing. People probably saw the World Cup and thought "OMGZ LOLZ MESSI MISSED A PEN, RONALDO IS THE GOAT". He's not, and you don't need to win a World Cup to be a great. Messi will never, ever, ever be bettered.

21 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Honestly, reading through twitter last night, I was thiking that maybe it was. It was like "Have these people never seen this little genius before?"

I had it in the Whatsapp group last night, a couple of Spurs fans in the group went to the game and went on a 20 minute tirade about how good he is and how they’ve never seen a team keep the ball as well as Barca did last night.

I asked them where they’ve been for the last 10 years and then muted the group.

For a year.

So, who do we reckon are the favourites to land Mick McCarthy over the winter? He's been sitting it out, waiting on a club who need someone to "steady the ship" since he left Ipswich (who are doing fantastically well since he left from what I've seen).

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

I always thought Maradona was the greatest player of all time until last night, but seeing Messi in the flesh has done it for me. No one has come close to him before, no one ever will.

You know when you're sat in the stands and you have the benefit of seeing the whole pitch, spaces, little balls that could played etc? Yeah, well he does all that from pitch level. It's as if he is simultaneously playing on the grass and there's a little Leo floating above him, drone style, conveying all the messages for through balls to him. It's unreal. And it's the little things. The cushion for his first goal to take it back across goal was sublime.

I know none of this is news to any of us, but it was a privilege. We should all be thankful that we get to see him whilst we're alive.

I've long thought of Ronaldo as the player I'd rather have in my team, for the range of things he does that contribute, for the crosses, headers, pace, occasional bouts of tracking back and defensive recovery, showing up in big games with greater consistency, winning games by himself when his team are letting him down etc. But last night watching Messi play the game (I can't stress the importance of this distinction) IN PERSON was something special.

In truth though it was about watching the magic of the whole team, of which Messi was the best and got on the end of two of the attacks. Things that struck me ; they wasted hardly any energy pressing the ball in our half. If you're not in their territory, you're not a threat, so they'll let you fanny around as much as you want because once they have the ball back they'll hurt you at will.

The big one though was how much importance they place on bringing other players into the game. Every top team always places a pass and keeps the football but what Barcelona do is not just a pass for the sake of it, but the right pass. Which doesn't just have to be the nearest man in space but the man in the MOST space, who will take the ball and attention away from both the passer and the guy he might have passed to, so they can further encroach onto the opposition area. The right pass, whether that's sideways or fifteen yards behind you, keeping the ball moving and getting everyone touches until almost imperceptibly they have five men around the box and you're defending a shot on goal. Ridiculous.

But you can get at them, if you fight them like the Borg. You won't outgun them but if you strike quickly and don't give them chance to adapt, you can hurt them.

1 hour ago, TildeGuy~! said:

I asked them where they’ve been for the last 10 years and then muted the group.

For a year.

Close mates, yeah?

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Not sure what answer you're looking for other than 'because Southgate picked other players instead'

No, just wondered if anyone had heard anything about him playing competitively for the Republic. He's been on great form for West Ham, probably their best player, and you'd have thought this would have been a great time to call him up, unless Roy Keane has had a friendly chat.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Teedy Kay said:

No, just wondered if anyone had heard anything about him playing competitively for the Republic. He's been on great form for West Ham, probably their best player, and you'd have thought this would have been a great time to call him up, unless Roy Keane has had a friendly chat.

Ah right. Apparently before the last international break he told MON he didn't want to be called up as he is yet to make up his mind, MON said fair enough and he won't pick him until he has thought about it thoroughly and decided. I'm guessing he's waiting for that England call-up and will give it so long before he opts to play for Ireland instead. Also known as the 'Andy Townsend decision'.

• Paid Members

I've soldiered through 180 minutes of truly dire Chelsea Europa League action so far this season. Morata, despite scoring tonight, looks at bereft of confidence of as any striker I have seen in a good long time.

On the plus side, nice to finally see Loftus-Cheek start and he was probably our best player in the first hour.

• Paid Members

Oh look, Roy Keane has weighed in on the Mourinho VS players battle, inferring they act as cry babies and adding this:

You talk about footballers and managers, not every player is going to get on with their manager and not every manager is going to like every player.

But what you do as a footballer, and I've had one or two disagreements, when you cross that line you play for your team.

Yeah, you tell em Roy. You play for your team. OR you fuck off home and take your dog for a walk, hey?

on19-JUN-World-Cup-Keane.jpg

Edited by PunkStep
Quoting is a bit shit innit

• Moderators

As regards young exciting players

Wales squads >>>>> England squads.

David Brooks, Harry Wilson, Ben Woodburn, Chris Mepham, Ethan motherfucking Ampadu?!?!??! 

Five Superlatives in the words of Major Benest. And that's before the likes of Matt Smith and Connor Roberts. The Welsh youth system has set us up for what could well be a fantastic 10 years or more. Squad's averga e age is about 24 these days. Ampadu has everything he needs to be the best Welsh player of ny lifetime. He plays like a 10 year vet at 17! He has all the intangibles.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

So...Cristiano Ronaldo.

It's blowing up quite big, so I think it's probably safe to discuss it now without a Not Now Boyo. EA and Nike have now expressed their concern and are monitoring the situation closely.

I'm really not at ease with the fact they paid her off with a £200k+ out of court settlement. Really doesn't look good at all. That's a lot of fucking money to make a false allegation go away, right?

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

I'm really not at ease with the fact they paid her off with a £200k+ out of court settlement. Really doesn't look good at all. That's a lot of fucking money to make a false allegation go away, right?

Probably not for the sake of brand Ronaldo and the amount of money that said brand cultivates. That's in no way an evaluation on the veracity of this story or not by the way. 

Edited by Gus Mears