• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that's about as stressful a game I've ever watched. Really thought they were going to have us on one of those extra time corners. Leapt of the settee when the first penalty didn't go in and went apeshit at Pickford's save. Paced the room for Diers. Such an incredible feeling. My kids don't understand just how big a deal this is. I'm starting to believe.

All of that pales in comparison to Ross Kemp, off his tits, praising the boys.

https://twitter.com/RossKemp/status/1014254265190305792

Edit: Can't seem to get the video to embed

• Moderators
1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

They genuinely seemļ»æļ»æļ»æ like a bunch of mates rather than a collective of top class players and egos that we saw from the golden generatiļ»æon. ļ»æ

As a filthy casual who only really watches football when the World Cup is on, I've often struggled to get behind the England team and would feel like a fraud saying 'we' in reference to their performance. I could never support a side that included cunts like John Terry.

This time, though, I'm fully onboard! I think it helped seal the deal that Colombia were heeling it up massively but I got genuinely emotional by the end of that.

Fantastic stuff.

I think the only shitty thing I saw England do was the way Henderson sold the 'headbutt' as if he'd had his eyes raked by Ric Flair.

The commentary and punditry was fucking godawful, of course. Some things will never change...

• Paid Members

Iā€™m made up for yiz here. Really am. My pots were gone from extra time onwards, so I can only imagine how the English contingent on here were. I really thought Colombia were going to put another one in during those 30 minutes as for 20 of them, your lot looked spark out on their feet. But it was a heroic performance, and itā€™s changed my mind on a few players (who I wonā€™t name) that Iā€™d deemed ā€˜bratsā€™ just from seeing their actions at club level. That team look like they are wearing that shirt with pride and every one of them look like theyā€™d run through a minefield for yiz.

On another not, an absolute fucking idiot I work with was wearing a Colombia jersey yesterday, posted it up on FB and has changed his FB profile pic to ABE (Anyone but England) He supports Leeds and Celtic. So, Iā€™ve been whistling ā€œItā€™s Coming Homeā€ all morning and itā€™s winding him, and so many people up. I canā€™t understand it the rationale and reasoning of most Irish people with regards the English national football team.

Canā€™t see Pickford being at Everton beyond this summer, to be honest. If he has another cracker in the quarters, thereā€™ll be a slew of bids for him followed the obligatory ā€˜big nameā€™ transfer request to the Everton board. Good luck to the lad though. One thing that puts me on edge about Pickford; Watch how he stands. He stands like heā€™s in a club, talking to a girl and is trying to remain cool and suave while bursting to have a plop/gik.

Ā 

They're a team of perfect son in laws. In the past I'd say you need a few bastards to win the thing but VAR might actually have changed that. It's hard not to cheer for them, especially when the 'golden generation' took it all for granted so much.Ā 

One thing that does stick out though is how much Jessie Lingards head looks like that of a primordial dwarfs.

• Paid Members

At the end of the day, all we as fans can ask for is effort, commitment and an improvement on the last World Cup. We already have all three, so I'm a happy man!

Saying that, I can see no reason, with a bit of luck in the mixer as well, why England can't get to at least the Semi Finals or even further.Ā 

7 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

They're a team of perfect son in laws. In the past I'd say you need a few bastards to win the thing but VAR might actually have changed that. It's hard not to cheer for them, especially when the 'golden generation' took it all for granted so much.

I don't know about that. I reckon the main reason that Delle Alli has been fairly anonymous has been that he's under instruction not to be a prick and he doesn't quite know how.

Harry Maguire though has been hugely impressive in his temperament and honesty.

• Paid Members

Delle Alli has been hugely ineffective because he's nowhere near full fitness, he's really not at the races at the moment and is struggling. So he most be frustrated, and usually when he's frustrated he does stupid things due to his temperament, so credit to him that he's been rather mature so far.

I did think if any of the England players were going to react or bite the bait from Columbia then it would have been Deli Ali, you could see him losing his head and doing something silly (like Beckham in 98). I'm glad he didn't though but in previous years some of the England squad would have reacted in that climate last night (imagine Rooney being kicked/knocked about!). The fact the players kept their cool and got on with it speaks volumes about this squad. They wasn't even soft either, they gave as good as they got within the rules of the game.Ā 

• Paid Members

I have to say fairplay to Henderson for going down the way he did. If he'd have "taken like a real English man" it would never have got the reaction from the ref to consider a review.

Best reaction to that was Lingard proper fronting up to the cheating fuckers. That truly shows camaraderie.

Archived