• Paid Members

Trippier's face and walk up before his penalty was a thing of joy too. Absolute cockiness with a little strut. After enduring the Andreas Mollers of the world against us, great to see no fear and cockiness from one of our players.

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Felt like it took well over an hour after the match ended before my heart rate returned to normal. I can't cope with that! I had to watch an episode of Bob Mortimer and Paul Whitehouse going fishing just to calm me back down.

Really excited about the prospect of a gentlemanly game of football against the Swedes after the absolute shithousery we've had to endure not only from Colombia tonight, but from Panama and Tunisia too. The added stress that behaviour brings isn't good for me.

• Paid Members

My earliest England football memories are of Euro '96. Crying my eyes out after losing on penalties. Crying my eyes out again in France '98. I was MCing a fucking comedy gig downstairs in a pub in Dalston for the match. I didn't get to see the match at all. So I was going by the reactions of the people upstairs. When Pickford saved and Dier scored, I thought the ceiling was going to come down. I've since come home and watched it. It's not the same as watching live, of course, but even the MOTD highlights, seeing the way those players reacted, seeing even how the pundits reacted. It's something else. I'd really soured on England during the Golden Generation, but this team (and perhaps it's because there's the Spurs link) I like. If we go out to Sweden, we've still done well, but man...it might be coming home, you know.

By the way, on the way home I encountered so many cool Colombian fans, in genial chats with England fans. Not sure why their team acted like a buncha pricks, what kind of strategy is that? And *why* are defenders still rugby tackling Harry Kane in the box during set pieces? This has been an issue raised since the first group game. We're going to get penalties in every game if defenders don't stop being so stupid. Barrios can stay away from Spurs, thank you very much.

To come back from a deflating last gasp equaliser, to hold firm with tiring legs in extra time and to have nerves of steel in the shootout (Henderson apart), that England team deserved that win and as an Evertonian I'm proud as fucking punch for Jordan Pickford, stunning save that was undone for the Colombia goal and then a brilliant stop to give us match point. That was for Waddle, Pearce, Southgate himself, Ince, Batty, Beckham and Carragher.

Just please lads don't blow it on Saturday

• Paid Members
Just now, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Just please lads don't blow it on Saturday

Some of our players looked very tired in extra time. It's concerning that we have to play again in three days. But, fuck it, what will be will be.

Just now, SpursRiot2012 said:

Some of our players looked very tired in extra time. It's concerning that we have to play again in three days. But, fuck it, what will be will be.

If we go out putting that sort of effort in, no complaints. Can see maybe Young and Alli dropping to bench though

• Paid Members

For some reason (mainly because neither the 5Live World Cup podcast nor the Guardian one is up yet) I put on 606. Holy crap there are actually still fans calling in saying that it was a terrible performance from England. Fuccccks sake.

• Paid Members
Just now, SpursRiot2012 said:

For some reason (mainly because neither the 5Live World Cup podcast nor the Guardian one is up yet) I put on 606. Holy crap there are actually still fans calling in saying that it was a terrible performance from England. Fuccccks sake.

I imagine anyone still calling into radio phone-ins are so backward they are complaining about Kevin Keegan's missed header.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

I imagine anyone still calling into radio phone-ins are so backward they are complaining about Kevin Keegan's missed header.

One guy said England need to put in "an extra 100%." Maths are hard, I guess?

5 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

As clinically clean as their capital punishment chambers.

And their whaling boats and hyper sexualised schoolgirl fetish.

I know it's hard not to get caught up in the moment but it was a game between two distinctly average sides, let's not kid ourselves that this was some 5-1 in Germany type deal. It was a kick away to losing to Colombia. I wouldn't call it a terrible performance but a half decent team would have put England to the sword in extra time. 

Had they lost the shootout would you hail it as a great performance? Then again, who cares? Results are what matters. 

6 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

What’s really impressed me most about England thus far is a genuine sense of togetherness

Yeah, agreed.  Can't remember which pundit said it, possibly Ferdinand, about how at previous tournaments there were players in the squad who didn't want to be there or at least didn't have any passion.  Do you think Hart has the desire for the shirt that Pickford has?  Playing in a World Cup used to be the pinnacle of a career, a defining moment. I get that feeling with this squad for the first time in ages. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Do you think Hart has the desire for the shirt that Pickford has?  Playing in a World Cup used to be the pinnacle of a career, a defining moment. I get that feeling with this squad for the first time in ages. 

No, I don't think Hart does. He's the tail end of a generation where it's taken for granted I'd say. I think some of that desire has to be instilled by the manager, and I think Southgate has worked wonders in this respect. Echoing what scratchdj said about the togetherness as well, there's a real 'club' environment there. They genuinely seem like a bunch of mates rather than a collective of top class players and egos that we saw from the golden generation.

• Paid Members

That is an absolutely phenomenal save, if that'd been De Gea, Neuer or any of the other 'elite' it would have been replayed to death by the production company running this World Cup.

Archived