• Paid Members

I'm getting the exact same feeling as I did during the semi finals of Italia 9- and Euro 96. I just hope that that the quarter final ends better!

Can't even begin to imagine the nerves if we actually make it past this round.

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'm thrilled. But not only just with the result: England played really well. Some misplaced passes early on (Dele was responsible for a couple) but after that, it was just a solid, solid performance, and probably our best performance to date (forget Panama - it was Panama). I still don't know if we could beat, say, a France even if we get through Croatia or Russia but already this group of players are coming home as heroes, I'm sure.

I think me and my girl might go to one of those fan parks for the semi-final. In London, where's best to go and how does it work? You just turn up?

• Paid Members

I'm at work, but we were allowed to have beers in and sit round the big telly. Unfortunately that meant I was sat next to a bloke who had one budweiser and was earnestly trying to talk to the players. "Calm down mate, please" he spoke to Pickford when he got a bit heated.  

It was a lot of fun though, we didn't really look like fucking it up an any point, which is progress. 

Ye played some nice stuff, and Maguire's header was lovely. Best part is over here, all the idiots who usually refer to United and Liverpool as 'us' will be pissed that England are through. Croatia match should be a good one! Great World Cup so far in fairness. 

• Moderators

Thought that was about the best England performance for 90 minutes that I can remember. Felt like Sterling played well and would've been nice to see him finish a couple of those chances - Ian Wright on US television saying he should be dropped, although I think Sterling opened up a lot of chances today.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

All in: even the most wizened misery guts must be in now.

Let's ask. What say you, @Keith Houchen? ;)

Solid performance and like the Colombia game (up until the 80th min or so), we were in control and comfortable with it- patient play and only a few rash decisions. Dele started poor with some careless passing, but he really started to come into the game later on, which is encouraging for the semi final. He's coming into form at the perfect time.

Sterling worked hard for it and made some good runs and dribbles, excellent Bergkamp-esque touch when he nearly rounded the keeper, shame his final touch and finishing let him down. I'm sure The S*n and Daily Fail will spin that into another unnecessary attack. 

Nowhere near as elated as I was after the Colombia game, understandable given the circumstances, but get in!! First time I get to see England in a World Cup semi final (I got into football just after Italia 90). Glorious.

• Paid Members

I'm a wizened old misery guts. I still can't quite bring myself to believe yet. Can't shake this nagging feeling it's all going to come crashing down and hurt inside.

• Paid Members

I've got to be honest, I'm starting to really believe! I know it's dangerous, but there is just something about this team! When we win the big one, I hope people refer to Barnsley winning the World Cup for England the way they do West ham with the '66 team(seeing as 3 of the first team have been on our books(along with Butland) 😉

Archived