• Paid Members

9 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

I reckon @Carbomb cried after that game

That's a filthy lie.

*covers red eyes with sunglasses*

8 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I've never felt so bad for a team, that first 10 minutes after the break were the best I've seen the Samurai Blues play.

Edit: I think Honda just retired.. or something about a graduation.

Were you watching an international stream where he did an interview?

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

Maradona has to be in there for all the obvious reasons, as does Ronaldo for the "wink" and Suarez fo the biting. To be fair, that's a tasty looking frontline(no Suarez pun intended)

Harald Shumacher in goal

It was more based on hard men, but clever bastards with it.  However, Suarez is a great example of a litany of shithousery.

My favourite example of such is John Fashanu.  Vinnie Jones gets all the plaudits for being the hardman of the Crazy Gang but he was like a henchman to the Bond villain genius of Fash.  He used to have someone compile a dossier on the match refs family, then in the tunnel before the game he'd approach the ref and be all "Gary, how are you doing mate!  How's Karen? It was her birthday last month wasn't it?  Hope you did something nice!  How's little Robbie, he must be 8 now.  Do say hello to them all for me, been a while since we all caught up". The ref would always look well chuffed and say back "I will do Fash mate" and have a big smile on his face because a footballer knew him and his family.

Then in the first couple of minutes, Fash would stick a two footed reducer on the opposition star player which would usually result in at least a yellow and possibly knobbly the player for the game.  What did Fash get from the ref?  "Come on Fash, keep it calm mate, we can't have that"

As Ruud Krol never said "Shithousery isn't an art, but there is an art in doing shithousery right".  That's some Ashur from Spartacus, Littlefinger from GOT level shithousery from Fash.  Genius.

• Paid Members

The fuck were Japan doing piling forward at the end there? Play that corner short and 30 seconds later you're into extra time.

I admire their gumption, lord knows it makes a nice change to see the smaller teams give it a go, but it seemed a bit naive to not shut up shop for the last few minutes, given how easily they did it in the Poland game.

• Moderators

The more I see of this tournament the more gutted I am that The Team Which Has Belgium's Number aren't there. I think we might have been value for the QFs if Joe Allen wasnt rugby tacked by a spud muncher (just jesting gents - that was karma for Seamus Coleman.)

I reckon England will win though and I won't be able to buy a newspaper for the next 4 years.

10 hours ago, Chilly McFreeze said:

The fuck were Japan doing piling forward at the end there? Play that corner short and 30 seconds later you're into extra time.

I admire their gumption, lord knows it makes a nice change to see the smaller teams give it a go, but it seemed a bit naive to not shut up shop for the last few minutes, given how easily they did it in the Poland game.

Yeah Japan were naive after they went 2-0 goals up. I guess its a cultural thing in that they want to play the game the right way (which is admirable) but as we all know in football sometimes you need to foul players to stop the flow of the game, to waste time, to make subs and take 50 seconds to walk off the pitch, running the ball into the corner etc. Japan didn't really do any of that and Belgium in a sense took advantage. 

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

I guess its a cultural thing in that they want to play the game the right way

This is mostly wrong. Japanese football is based more on being obdurate and slow possession, both internationally and domestically.

Which is why it was a surprise they played the way they did. I think they went out with the belief that they had to outscore Belgium and forgot to reign it in at the end. Great game, though.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Briefcase said:

I guess its a cultural thing in that they want to play the game the right way (which is admirable)

Did you not see the Poland game?

Japan can certainly not be admired for playing the game the right way, that game was an abortion.

• Paid Members

I didn't know about the reputation their fans have of clearing up litter after the match until last week, what a fantastic bunch they are. Better than when our lot pour beer over passers-by on the canal.

Which reminds me, there hasn't really been many (if any) reports of scuffles, hooliganism or general shitty behaviour by any sets of fans so far this tournament, that I'm aware of anyway. That's a massive shock given what happened two years ago. Then again, neither Russia or England have been knocked out yet...

Archived