• Paid Members

I thought both teams showed a touch of arrogance and a complete lack of respect for their last 16 opponents by fielding weakened teams in the hope of potentially avoiding Brazil in the quarter finals. Maybe I've read it all wrong, but if I was a baller, I'd love to be playing against the best teams in the world, not avoiding them in the hope of an easy pass.

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I honestly think it was more a case of not wanting to risk injury/suspension to their top players in a game which, in the grand scheme of things, is irrelevant if you're going to go all the way and win it. Not dissimilar to France making plenty of changes VS Denmark. I don't think avoiding Brazil was on their mind, surely if you're thinking along those lines then you're looking at the 2nd round first and foremost, and a tie against Japan would be the preferred option.

• Paid Members

I was baffled last night, Brewster. 1st half was like the last fifteen minutes when Ireland played the Dutch in Italia 90, but then 2nd half Belgium came out with at least half a purpose. There was a lot of speculation about both teams wanting to avoid Brazil, which really had my back up (Particularly based around some subtle comments from my old pal Bertie Martinez).

I think it stemmed from the media speculation, compounded by a few English lads in my job wanting their country to lose yesterday. These lads are made up today which is a mentality I'll never understand, but that's probably the stubborn prick in me.

For the record, I'm cheering you lot on this whole tournament. I'd be a fucking hypocrite if I didn't. Lots of Irish in boozers cheering everyone England are playing against, while - and I'm not joking - wearing Liverpool and Man Utd shirts.

• Paid Members

I don't get not wanting to face Brazil. Aside from the fact that they're not actually very good, why wouldn't you want to play Brazil in the World Cup? That's the exact match you go to the World Cup to play! Baffling. I'm bored of watching England play Sweden and Switzerland. I reckon I've watched us play either team in the past more times than I've called Ronaldo a cunt over the past two weeks- and that has happened a lot.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, PunkStep said:

I don't get not wanting to face Brazil. Aside from the fact that they're not actually very good, why wouldn't you want to play Brazil in the World Cup? That's the exact match you go to the World Cup to play! Baffling. I'm bored of watching England play Sweden and Switzerland. I reckon I've watched us play either team in the past more times than I've called Ronaldo a cunt over the past two weeks- and that has happened a lot.

Downvoted for calling Ronnie a cunt. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, WeeAl said:

Man, you'll not have to worry about watching England play Sweden or Switzerland at this World Cup. 😉

This. Incredible arrogance from the Ingerlund mob thinking about the "easier" half of the draw. Even avoiding the "but Iceland!!111" drivel (wholly irrelevant in comparing the team and the relative form of key players to today) - not only is Colombia a fucking tough match, but a potential semi final is Croatia. That's a game that on form I'd expect to lose far more than most of the bigger names in the "harder" half of the bracket.

What a cracking game, that was. Delighted to see Argentina go out. Disliked them more and more as that game went on. No more camera cuts to fucking coke ghoul up in the nosebleeds. 

1 hour ago, Gay as FOOK said:

No more camera cuts to fucking coke ghoul up in the nosebleeds. 

Well, not until the next Old Firm or big European night or whenever this cunt remembers he is a fan

C_2_fotogallery_3633_0_image

• Paid Members

So, now the almost universally agreed world's best two players are out, who do we recon the best player left in the tournament is(barring John Fucking Stones, obviously)?

De Bruyne and Hazard have to be in with a shout, Isco for Spain maybe? If it was just on form alone, I'd have to go with Kane, as it's been years since there was an old school striker that I was confident would score in every game! 

• Paid Members

After last night's performance, I'd say Suarez is in that mix too. And if he keeps up the form he showed yesterday afternoon, Mbappe also..

• Paid Members

Wow, Mbappe well and truly announced himself yesterday didn't he? Anyone that has watched him knew he was the real deal but there were still some saying that a couple of good seasons in a farmers league doesn't mean you're a top player. I think he went some way to answering those critics last night. This could well be his tournament now if he keeps it up.

I know Argentina are an absolute fucking shambles but with the ridiculous amount of talent they have, coupled with the confidence of yesterday's result, France are looking like the team to beat. Although my dark horse pick of Croatia are looking very good, I think the winner of the France/Uruguay match will go all the way.

Messi and Ronaldo both going out will hopefully stop the tedious-as-fuck arguments between their respective fanboys over who is the greater legend, if only for a short while. The past few weeks on Twitter have been unbearable in this respect.

• Paid Members

Cavanis two goals yesterday were things of beauty. He's a mans man, him and a baller I'm very fond of, compounded by the shite he's had to deal with in playing second fiddle to that Neymar pup. 

The second goal might be my favourite goal of the tournament. That statement caused a lot of stick from my mates but I thought it was stunning.  It's a lot harder than it looks to open yourself up like that and catch it with the finesse he did at the pace at which it came to him.

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Wow, Mbappe well and truly announced himself yesterday didn't he? Anyone that has watched him knew he was the real deal but there were still some saying that a couple of good seasons in a farmers league doesn't mean you're a top player. I think he went some way to answering those critics last night. This could well be his tournament now if he keeps it up.

True, but conversely, I also think it's not wise to use WC performances as a reference, because, as we've seen, there've been quite a few great club players who, for some reason, haven't fired on the world stage. Look at Cavani - scored a shit-ton in qualifiers, but for some reason that proliferation didn't seem to translate to the tournament itself. I'm hoping yesterday's match signals an opening of the floodgates for him.

Archived