• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Because on paper they were probably the greatest collective of individual players England has ever produced. Apart from GK, and a left winger, every position was filled with a bloody good player. Rio Ferdinand, John Terry, Ashley Cole, Gary Neville, Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard, David Beckham, Michael Owen, Wayne Rooney and hell I'll throw Owen Hargreaves into the mix too. David James and Joe Cole more often than not made up the XI, and you also had a subs bench that could include Jamie Carragher, Sol Campbell, Gareth Barry etc. Paul Scholes was also a regular until he realised they were all pricks and quit international football.

Look at those names- a Balon D'or winner and nominees, FIFA World Player of the Year nominees, Champions League winners, multiple time Premier League winners. Players that performed at the highest level consistently for their clubs, they were so good. That team, on paper, was capable of winning everything. But being group of great players doesn't translate into a great team.

I hate them all.

8 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

So for they uneducated, why was that shower of arseholes referred to as the golden generation?

A combination of media arseholery and the rise of the footballer as a celebrity as opposed to a sportsman. 

People point to sky ruining football but for me it was when top footballers stopped calling themselves footballer names. Had they have been Dave Beckham, Mike Owen, Dave Seaman, Steve Gerrard etc I’d have liked them. Lampard and McManaman were alright though. 

42 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

People point to sky ruining football but for me it was when top footballers stopped calling themselves footballer names. Had they have been Dave Beckham, Mike Owen, Dave Seaman, Steve Gerrard etc I’d have liked them.

Do you remember when it changed from Andy Cole to Andrew Cole?

I've thought for a long time that Roberto Martinez was flattering to deceive and would be heavily found out at this World Cup, but fuck, clearly the guy has at least something. Remarkable achievements by this Belgian side, who appear to finally be living up to their potential.

• Paid Members

Only European teams left, and only two former winners left, neither of whom have won it more than once. No Italy or Netherlands to start with, Germany didn't make it out of their group, and Spain got beaten by a mediocre Russian side channeling 2004 Greece.

This World Cup is probably the most interesting ever.

EDIT: An observation. Anyone else noticed there don't seem to be any more Brazilian players called "Ze [something]"? Used to be all over the place - Ze Leonardo, Ze Elias, Ze Roberto, etc. Never see those any more. Wonder if it's fallen out of fashion?

I couldn't tell if Brazil were awful going forward, Belgium were great defensively or it was a combo of both. I know he was great in qualification but Gabriel Jesus hasn't look very good this World Cup at all and Brazil have looked far better with Bobby F playing instead. Also, is Neymar injured? He didn't look his usual self at all last night and you wonder if he's carrying an injury.

Fair play to Belgium for a great performance. Lukaku in particular was fantastic despite not being the usual massive threat in the box that he normally is. That game against France should be a fantastic semifinal.

• Paid Members

Yeah. He was on his way to being the most unpopular footballer in the world before the tournament, I think he's 'earned' that merit now.

I told my friends the other day that in a few years time, I don't think he'll be considered one of the best players in the world. I think he'll burn out by then. Injuries, partying and generally being a prima donna.

He's obviously a talent but the bar has been set so high by Messi and Ronaldo in the last decade that he's someway behind them in the top player stakes. And yeah, you do feel that his injuries and questionable work ethic have hampered him from kicking on and closing that gap between himself and the top two. Still, he's 26 years old and has another two World Cups in him so there's still time for him to shine on the international stage.

• Paid Members

My 6 year old came out of school singing Three Lions yesterday, the grip is certainly taking hold.

I'm as nervous as fuck and really wish I hadn't given up smoking.

I'd love a comfortable 2-0 but it just won't happen that way for us will it?

Archived