• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I think you used it when it literally wasn't needed. It gets used so often it literally means nothing anymore. 

Nah, literally literally means literally.

• Paid Members

I always think the main difference is us English don't really care about Wales, Scotland or the other little island over the way, I mean they all work for us when you think about it. It's nice to see the underlings doing well and striving to go above their station but ultimately failing as they always will.

The peons will never want their boss to do well bless them.

• Paid Members

For me, my grandparents (except on Greek grandfather I've never met) are all Irish. I was born in England, so I support England. But I also support Ireland when they get through, and I've always liked the Welsh (apart from Giggs and that Lostprophets guy). So, it's probably only Scotland I take issue with and that's usually because *they* start it.

But I will never understand why a supporter of a top six Premier League club would root for another top six club to win the Champions League. That shit is stupid.

• Paid Members

It's all getting a bit Jamie Redknapp in here.

I was firmly behind Wales after we were eliminated 2 years ago and was also delighted when Northern Ireland progressed to the second round. And to a lesser extent, Rep of Ireland as well. Never Scotland, though. And I'm part Scottish.

I can understand why the other home nations won't get behind England though. We're seen as the flash bastards who call the shots in the UK. As Mark Renton best put it: "Some people hate the English. I don't, they're just wankers"

• Paid Members

Its an odd dynamic probably carried over from the rugby. The rivalries between all home nations is super competitive yet friendly, except for when England is involved. Its even weirder when you consider a large portion of the haters support English football clubs.

As a Welshman, im quite happy to see England progress whilst not really cheering them in. 

The only thing that annoys me and may lead to a lot of the negativity is the press/coverage around the English football team. They've done very well so far but outside of the Belgium game (which shouldnt really count) they've been the favorites in every game they played, England should be in the position they are. Yet the general feel of the press coverage and on match day yesterday is that England is some huge underdog team going on a crazy FA Cup run...but i understand that may stem from them cocking things up so many times before. 

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Its an odd dynamic probably carried over from the rugby. . 

Not when it comes to England/Scotland. As others have said, it's the oldest rivalry in football. I can see some of the England/Wales rivalry carrying over, but to be honest it's something that transcends sport. I'd imagine Wales and Scotland in particular don't want England to well in anything.

Nah it's nothing like Rugby.  In Scotland, Ireland and Wales, Rugby is a working class sport but in England it's a toffs game from Public school.  I can cheer on the England football team in some games but never the rugby team.  I'd be a fucking class traitor if I did that and I'm not a tory.

As has been mentioned, any dislike of the sporting side doesn't come from sport, it comes from Imperialism and lauding it over the serfs.  Look at the anthems, Ireland Scotland and Wales have anthems celebrating their country, England have one about fealty to whoever is ruling over you, fuck that shit.  Post empire declinism is one of the major reasons England have won one more tournament than Malta and San Marino, the English mentality of being better because they're English.  Thankfully this batch of players don't seem to have that.

1 hour ago, Ralphy said:

Exciting times ahead, this group of players we have just seem so much more a unit than previous england teams of years gone by, i think the team is so much better now a lot of the old guard has gone (Cahill, Rooney, milner, leighton baines, amongst others). Whoever stitched up Sam Allardyce should be knighted, Gareth Southgate is a breath of fresh air! 

I went for a walk this morning, and on my walk i went past a few pubs and the town center, and lets just say that i think people had a good night, but its a shame that a lot of the town center has been vandalized and is full of litter, same goes for outside the pubs. Having seen some of the videos and pictures online, i do hope that people behave better come Wednesday, and hopefully Sunday too. We don't do our reputation much good sometimes! 

These are the things that are stopping us from ever hosting a World Cup. This is just from winning a quarter final game. Imagine the state if we actually won it. It'll be like The Purge.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Nah it's nothing like Rugby.  In Scotland, Ireland and Wales, Rugby is a working class sport but in England it's a toffs game from Public school.  

I don't mean the nature of the rivalry is like rugby, I just mean that everyone in Wales is brought up disliking the England rugby team, it's bred into you. There has to be a cross over to football, especially from people who don't really understand where the rivalry stems from. To many they just see England as the enemy when it comes to sports.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Look at the anthems, Ireland Scotland and Wales have anthems celebrating their country, England have one about fealty to whoever is ruling over you, fuck that shit.

Technically they should all be singing God Save the Queen.

I'd personally love England to move away from GStQ and go more towards something like Land of Hope and Glory.

• Paid Members

Rule Britannia. We'd have to learn the words obviously, but it's so much better than God Save the Queen and has a belting 'chorus'. God Save the Queen is a proper mood killer isn't it?

Tbh, it might as well be Three Lions

Archived