• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

I don't mean the nature of the rivalry is like rugby, I just mean that everyone in Wales is brought up disliking the England rugby team, it's bred into you. There has to be a cross over to football, especially from people who don't really understand where the rivalry stems from. To many they just see England as the enemy when it comes to sports.

Proper parenting, that.  England are the enemy.

• Paid Members

I've always like Jerusalem as a replacement for GStQ. It sounds cracking belting out when the cricket team is coming out, and once everyone learns the lyrics, would create a much better atmosphere than the current anthem.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Proper parenting, that.  England are the enemy.

3 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Well, i dunno about parenting but England are usually referred to as the "old enemy" in rugby terms with regards to its rivalry with Wales.

6 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Nah it's nothing like Rugby.  In Scotland, Ireland and Wales, Rugby is a working class sport but in England it's a toffs game from Public school.  I can cheer on the England football team in some games but never the rugby team.  I'd be a fucking class traitor if I did that and I'm not a tory.

As has been mentioned, any dislike of the sporting side doesn't come from sport, it comes from Imperialism and lauding it over the serfs.  Look at the anthems, Ireland Scotland and Wales have anthems celebrating their country, England have one about fealty to whoever is ruling over you, fuck that shit.  Post empire declinism is one of the major reasons England have won one more tournament than Malta and San Marino, the English mentality of being better because they're English.  Thankfully this batch of players don't seem to have that.

In Ireland, rugby is definitely the upper class peoples game. Schools rugby is dominated by expensive fee paying schools where it costs five or six grand a year to attend. Football and GAA is the working class game. Our best rugby lads like Brian O'Driscoll, Ronan O'Gara, Jonathon Sexton etc were all privately educated, but it would be rare for our footballers or GAA players to be.

If you could choose one player in the England squad to be the hero in the World Cup final who would it be? Lets assume its a last minute goal?

Do we go with captain Kane? Someone like Vardy off the bench? Sterling despite being ridiculed since even before the World Cup? Maguire for his rising performances?

Just a bit of fun, not tempting fate. 

Jordon Pickford - 95th minute Mart Poom-esque bullet header equaliser, followed by his winning penalty in an 11-10 shootout victory. Obviously.

Before being awarded the key to the City of Sunderland - which I imagine to be made of a one of those 'metals' that leave green marks.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, DCW said:

In Ireland, rugby is definitely the upper class peoples game. Schools rugby is dominated by expensive fee paying schools where it costs five or six grand a year to attend. Football and GAA is the working class game. Our best rugby lads like Brian O'Driscoll, Ronan O'Gara, Jonathon Sexton etc were all privately educated, but it would be rare for our footballers or GAA players to be.

Spot on. It's a yuppies game over here in Dublin and the amount of bandwagoners who claim to be super fans every time the six nations is on with their ill fitting slim fit jerseys and guts hanging over their brown belts and navy jeans, is astounding. 

I absolutely despise rugby. I really fucking do. 

Archived