Autism

Nick Soapdish

• Paid Members
Just now, patiirc said:

I don't know what a 'trademark pat' is

He did follow it up with an explanation to be fair.

"If someone gives you a reply that isn't cushioned with a bow on it, you take it as a personal attack"

4 minutes ago, patiirc said:

I absolutely struggle with communication that I don't get or is confusing.

I would probably say then that back on forths on a forum of written text (where nuance, emotion etc is seemingly taken out and things can seem/sound harsh to you) probably isn't the best place to be. Or at least, involvement in 'heavy' subjects. 

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, BobJones1 said:

Devon is same as you…. ‘Pathetic and teaching for help’

Devon and Keith are actually a the saddest/worst people on that site and it’s genuinely the only satisfaction they get in their lives…..

Hi Boydy.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I would probably say then that back on forths on a forum of written text (where nuance, emotion etc is seemingly taken out and things can seem/sound harsh to you) probably isn't the best place to be. Or at least, involvement in 'heavy' subjects. 

I can definitely express myself and articulate my thoughts better in written form than verbally. Sometimes it feels like a literal blockage preventing the words making it from my brain to my mouth. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

5 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I can definitely express myself and articulate my thoughts better in written form than verbally. Sometimes it feels like a literal blockage preventing the words making it from my brain to my mouth. 

Oh I understand that, and I'm not telling Pat to go, and I know that written communication is often easier than verbal for neurodiverse people, but I just think that sometimes the written word can seem cold, with human emotion/body language taken out of it, and that might amplify if you feel that you're being treated 'harshly'

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, patiirc said:

It's been noted by friends etc that I get Asmr tingles

Is ASMR associated with autism or on the spectrum? I like it as it helps me sleep. Sounds like it’s just been lumped in with other things about your personality and interests from your friends. Also, shouldn’t let your friends diagnose you with autism. 

Honestly Pat, but why do you bother coming on here? You’ve noted the hostility from people when asking for help and hostility towards you in general. I don’t know what keeps bringing you back when it always goes like this. 

Edited by TheBurningRed

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Oh I understand that, and I'm not telling Pat to go, and I know that written communication is often easier than verbal for neurodiverse people, but I just think that sometimes the written word can seem cold, with human emotion/body language taken out of it, and that might amplify if you feel that you're being treated 'harshly'

Yeah, a lot of nuance, context, and tone can definitely be lost in written form. 

2 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:
2 hours ago, patiirc said:

It's been noted by friends etc that I get Asmr tingles

Is ASMR associated with autism or on the spectrum?

I would guess it'd be more an ADHD sensory/dopamine seeking behaviour? If anything I'd say there may be a portion of Autistic people who wouldn't enjoy ASMR because of potential auditory processing issues. 

10 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

Honestly Pat, but why do you bother coming on here? You’ve noted the hostility from people when asking for help and hostility towards you in general. I don’t know what keeps bringing you back when it always goes like this. 

If this place helps then I could understand it or if there are people on here who you enjoy conversing with but I agree, you don’t seem to get much out of your visits here. Much like Bacon i’m not saying go as this place may be of some help to you but in large you seem to get hostility more than help. 

16 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

is ASMR associated with autism or on the spectrum

No, nor are loads of other things mentioned. The self diagnosed / want to be autistic lot will try and include anything for validation though so that’s why it’s important to listen to actual medical experts. 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

@jazzygeofferz You mentioned ESA (I don't know if you're on UC as well, you don't have to say if you don't want to) but your work coach should be OK with your volunteering, as long as you tell them all about it, and you're still meeting your job searching "commitments" 

It shouldn't (shouldn't being the operative word as things change all the time) affect your money. Good luck.

This is 100%.  Volunteering looks good on your CV, so it’s a win/win situation.

3 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

No, nor are loads of other things mentioned. The self diagnosed / want to be autistic lot will try and include anything for validation though so that’s why it’s important to listen to actual medical experts. 

Referred, not self diagnosed.

If it helps any it was picked up in DV recovery and then further acted upon following psyche assessment following overdose.

Mates have pointed stims and other things like emotional regulation issues out because, in one case it is their day job. I'd guess they'd be an expert on things

But hey, you'd absolutely know best being a gender critical person last time I checked and thus hating that I exist by default 

Deffo going check jazzy geofferz links and thank Devon and everyone else for their comments. Much appreciated 

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I’m referring to people who “TikTok diagnose” and that’s why I say it’s imperative to listen to actual experts. I wasn’t saying you diagnosed yourself. 

There are entirely valid reasons for a proper self diagnosis. Usually it's picked up on by other neurodivergent people. It can be expensive, time consuming, or the experience of all the professionals you may have to deal with could be too much for some people to handle. 

On the other hand, I totally agree with you, Keith. Far too many people may just watch a TikTok or a reel from a neurodivergent person about a single trait they experience and just decide "oh, I do that so I must be Autistic/ADHD" and then start to try and use it as an excuse for their shitty behaviour, making it all the more difficult for properly neurodivergent people to be taken seriously and get the support they need. 

9 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

There are entirely valid reasons for a proper self diagnosis.

What does that mean? What’s the difference between a self diagnosis and a “Proper” self diagnosis? If you’re a medical expert and have the experience, qualifications and expertise, and you diagnose yourself, is that a proper one?

11 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Usually it's picked up on by other neurodivergent

“Suspectrum” as I believe it’s called!  But then what if those picking it up are self diagnosed as well? you have the cycle of people diagnosing themselves without any actual experts. In fact, many of these self diagnosed people who diagnose others HAVE BEEN TOLD they aren’t autistic but refuse to accept it. That’s why the only valid diagnosis is a proper one. Mainly because it allows you access to support with benefits and in the workplace because it’s a protected characteristic. As I say, it’s a disability and is protected. You can’t just say you’re disabled without the medical backup. 

Even someone who is diagnosed cannot just diagnose someone else and expect it to be valid. 

Self diagnosis is common for pretty much everything but it’s usually prefaced with “I think I have..” or “I’m probably..” and that’s what makes us call the doctor. But until a medical expert confirms it, it’s just an uneducated guess. I sometimes get a tremble in my arms. That’s a symptom of Parkinson’s but I’m not going to say I have it. 

• Paid Members

I agree with @Keith Houchen I had a combination of Tutors, friends and family all saying they thought I was Autistic, I upon looking into things more, and having gone through diagnosis with my kids, thought I was to, but until I had a diagnosis I didn’t have Autism (or ADHD) because what if they were wrong? It didn’t sit right to describe myself as such without a professional confirming it. And when I’ve talked about it with people, and sone of my traits I’ve had the odd “oh I do that, so probably am as well” to which, no it doesn’t mean that.