Autism

Nick Soapdish

• Paid Members

I hear the A Word is supposed to be a decent representation as well? 

I'm with you all in Big Bang Theory. I've never liked that show because it feels like I'm living it sometimes. The fact they avoid directly saying the characters are neurodivergent to try and avoid negative press is irksome true. Lorré has done some awful shows. Just Shoot Me wasn't too bad, though. 

My sister’s little boy is autistic, nearly 4 with limited speech, still in nappies, no concept of social norms, often has meltdowns, noise sensitive as well as an abundance of other things that make life difficult for him and my sister.

She has had to battle tooth and nail for him, jump through hoops the works. I appreciate there are people on here who are awaiting diagnosis or who do indeed have a diagnosis or even have people in their lives with a diagnosis, my bloody job is supporting children with SEN. 

I can fully understand why people become annoyed with these people who are seemingly so desperate for an autism diagnosis. My sisters life is changed now forever and she is stepping up like a fucking star but that doesn’t stop her being sad for her son, being frustrated for her son. 

Less of the oh I am noise sensitive so I must be autistic posts please. I’m noise sensitive,  I hate crowds and can become annoyed when plans change, doesn’t make me autistic it just makes me noise sensitive, annoyed in crowds and irksome when plans change. 

Again different levels for different folks but can we stop throwing autism around like it’s a cure all for everything you don’t like about yourself, half of you would give anything to be exactly as you are when the alternative could be much worse. 

• Paid Members

I never liked Big Bang because Chuck Lorre shows are written for idiots as disposable tv (like 2 and a half Men), only this time making light of people often the butt of society.

I gave up on Atypical because the parental breakdown in relationship felt put there for dramas sake and I didn’t bother watching more. The A Word I remember as being alright, but again added drama that took a way. I think the best show I saw was There She Goes where the autistic child in that was also non verbal which is not usually represented and is what our son is so was very relatable.

On a side note, Life Animated is a great doc and I have heard The reason I jump is as well, but only my wife has seen that so far.

@Joe Blogsorty to hear that. Sounds very similar to my son, but we were lucky that he was diagnosed at 2, but he’s 8 now and no-one without living through it knows how life changing it is.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

2 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Life Animated

Watched this after you recommended it a few years back. It was before my gf was diagnosed. It made me realise why Disney films mean so much to her and why she relates so much to Stitch. It’s a really lovely and educational eye opening documentary. Loved it when Gilbert Gottfried turned up!

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

On a completely unrelated note for the amount of replies in an hour we're now Autism Hot and that's how my tinder bio has described me for a year.

It's how I describe my homemade chilli as well. 

I've been listening to an audiobook by John Williams (not that one) called My Son's Not Rainman, which is about his experiences with his autistic son (obviously). There are some amusing anecdotes, some sad moments. You can hear the passion and love in his voice as he reads it. The book's title is taken from the name of the blog he used to have about his experiences. It does a great job of trying to explain not just how he dealt with his son's autism, but at tearing down some. Of the stereotypes and preconceptions as well. The highs and the lows. It's worth a listen. 

I've got Neurotribes in my library as well in audio and ebook form because there was a deal on. Let's see what Ali G's brother has to say on the subject. I hear it's a useful book. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I know it’s not what you meant but you always were autistic, it just wasn’t confirmed!

You mean I didn’t gain my Autism after my MMR Vaccine? Bloody Wakefield lying again (and thanks, lovely post there)

35 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Watched this after you recommended it a few years back. It was before my gf was diagnosed. It made me realise why Disney films mean so much to her and why she relates so much to Stitch. It’s a really lovely and educational eye opening documentary. Loved it when Gilbert Gottfried turned up!

Even more sad now because of Gilbert. It’s funny, I was 18 when Lilo and Stitch came out but it was one of the few DVD’s me and my ex would watch over and over. And whenever I go to a Disney theme park he’s one of the only characters I try and meet. And of course, it’s because I relate to the little cute bastard!

Oh and Matilda the Musical is another great Neurodiverse film. My daughters watched it about 5 times already.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

45 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I gave up on Atypical because the parental breakdown in relationship felt put there for dramas sake and I didn’t bother watching more.

Sorry to jump on this point but I find this really confusing. You gave up on a scripted TV show because they wrote something that would add drama? I don't really understand this at all. It wasn't a documentary. They needed character development and challenges to relationships etc. They couldn't and shouldn't have played it all for laughs. So why would that cause you to give up on a show? I get that sometimes there are developments people may not like or are on board with but giving up on a show seems a bit dramatic in itself.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Sorry to jump on this point but I find this really confusing. You gave up on a scripted TV show because they wrote something that would add drama? So why would that cause you to give up on a show? 

Answer

28 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I get that sometimes there are developments people may not like or are on board with but giving up on a show seems a bit dramatic in itself.

As simple as that. I don’t know what’s dramatic. There are only so many hours in a day, and we’re lucky if we get an hour a night to watch something together when the kids are asleep. So if we don’t like something we just pick something else. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Joe Blog said:

My sister’s little boy is autistic, nearly 4 with limited speech, still in nappies, no concept of social norms, often has meltdowns, noise sensitive as well as an abundance of other things that make life difficult for him and my sister.

She has had to battle tooth and nail for him, jump through hoops the works. I appreciate there are people on here who are awaiting diagnosis or who do indeed have a diagnosis or even have people in their lives with a diagnosis, my bloody job is supporting children with SEN. 

I can fully understand why people become annoyed with these people who are seemingly so desperate for an autism diagnosis. My sisters life is changed now forever and she is stepping up like a fucking star but that doesn’t stop her being sad for her son, being frustrated for her son. 

Less of the oh I am noise sensitive so I must be autistic posts please. I’m noise sensitive,  I hate crowds and can become annoyed when plans change, doesn’t make me autistic it just makes me noise sensitive, annoyed in crowds and irksome when plans change. 

Again different levels for different folks but can we stop throwing autism around like it’s a cure all for everything you don’t like about yourself, half of you would give anything to be exactly as you are when the alternative could be much worse. 

Spot on. 

As a father of a Autistic son who is now 14 and will probably never talk and will need 24h care for the rest of his life i agree with everything you say. 

Its been a life long fight and remains one.

Only this week i have had to jump though multiple hoops to get him an eye test, Due to his lack of speech and understanding he has to go to the hospital to be seen. The hold odd crystals up to his face and attempt to judge his sight based on that.

Any way during covid they didnt run a clinic fair enough. I phoned them yesterday only to find out to get back into the clinic i need a GP to refer him again. Nothing is ever done without a shit ton of hassle i could do without. 

10 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

Spot on. 

As a father of a Autistic son who is now 14 and will probably never talk and will need 24h care for the rest of his life i agree with everything you say. 

Its been a life long fight and remains one.

Only this week i have had to jump though multiple hoops to get him an eye test, Due to his lack of speech and understanding he has to go to the hospital to be seen. The hold odd crystals up to his face and attempt to judge his sight based on that.

Any way during covid they didnt run a clinic fair enough. I phoned them yesterday only to find out to get back into the clinic i need a GP to refer him again. Nothing is ever done without a shit ton of hassle i could do without. 

My nephew is a non verbal autistic four year old. I’ve seen how difficult it can be for his parents but I’ve never considered things like eye tests. That must be so difficult for everyone. My brother said when his son was diagnosed how great it was that there was support for him, but pretty much nothing for the parents. He’s given up work so he can be his full time carer and although he wouldn’t change a thing, like all parents, I do think he gets frustrated and overwhelmed sometimes. 

• Paid Members

I have several autistic family members, on both my parents sides. It's been talked about with doctors that I may be slightly on the spectrum too, but I chose not to pursue a diagnosis as even if I was it wasn't to the level where it seemed to give me any struggles (my depression did that enough XD) and I figured that time would be spent better on other people.

First time I've ever actually mentioned that to people.

5 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

I have several autistic family members, on both my parents sides. It's been talked about with doctors that I may be slightly on the spectrum too, but I chose not to pursue a diagnosis as even if I was it wasn't to the level where it seemed to give me any struggles (my depression did that enough XD) and I figured that time would be spent better on other people.

Completely admire putting others first. However another point of view to consider is that perhaps a diagnosis or clarity earlier rather than later would be really useful for you. Great it's not really an issue now or anything you're struggling with but many of these things can be in the long term. And it's often a big regret of "if only I'd known earlier". So it's worth thinking about at some point I would say.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

The depression may be one of your traits. I understand your not wanting a diagnosis of you feel it isn't adversely affecting your life.