Autism

Nick Soapdish

2 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I agree with @Keith Houchen I had a combination of Tutors, friends and family all saying they thought I was Autistic, I upon looking into things more, and having gone through diagnosis with my kids, thought I was to, but until I had a diagnosis I didn’t have Autism (or ADHD) because what if they were wrong? It didn’t sit right to describe myself as such without a professional confirming it. And when I’ve talked about it with people, and sone of my traits I’ve had the odd “oh I do that, so probably am as well” to which, no it doesn’t mean that. 

I know it’s not what you meant but you always were autistic, it just wasn’t confirmed! My partner had a similar experience to you, she was referred to counselling for her depression and anxiety and told the counsellor how she related so much to stuff posted by a Facebook page ran by an autistic woman. The counsellor advised discussing it with the GP who immediately helped (because she always thought my partner was autistic) with the referral by submitting collaborative info which triaged her to the top end of the list. She was diagnosed pretty quickly and hadn’t considered autism was the reason for so many problems in childhood. 

It does show how important having that postcode luck of good GPs is and I can understand why people can be put off by going through the process without it though. As usual, it is the government’s fault. 

• Paid Members

I've been told multiple times that I have ADHD, have all of the signs of ADHD, have been referred by my GP (Around 12 months ago) to the nearest clinic who perform the relevant tests etc, but I personally don't think I do have ADHD. 

I will await the full assessment and the outcome before taking any further steps if required, but until such time, I will not refer to myself as having ADHD, or tell people I have it, because at the moment, I don't know whether I do or not. 

Fully understand where Scorch is coming from, because until I am specifically told I have ADHD from a medical professional, I 'dont' have ADHD in the sense of personally acknowledging it.

Confused myself with that post.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

What does that mean? What’s the difference between a self diagnosis and a “Proper” self diagnosis? If you’re a medical expert and have the experience, qualifications and expertise, and you diagnose yourself, is that a proper one?

I had a friend who used to work with autistic people, and the professionals who would come in to support the people would say to them "you realise you're autistic as well, right?" just from observing them doing their job at the time. That's not an "official" diagnosis, but there's a big difference between "I think this is my condition" or people who know you saying "I suspect this may be what's going on with you" and "I saw this thing on TikTok/Instagram/YouTube about how this ND person really liked to organise their cutlery drawer a particular way, I do that too, so I'm obviously ND as well."

As I said, there are people for whom the process of a formal diagnosis and the process of the assessment may be too traumatic for them. Having to sit in the room with the assessor and go through this whole process could be too much for somebody. There are also possibly financial or even cultural difficulties. Somebody I know lives in the Middle East, and when he spoke to his family about some mental health/neurological/psychological problems he has they called an exorcist. It's not always even possible to get a diagnosis, but why should those people's experiences be invalidated just because they can't get a piece of paper that says that they're on the spectrum. 

I got sent on my way by several GPs who said "yeah, you probably are" and then gave me some excuse like "the support isn't there for adults" or "I don't think you should have to live with that label". In the run up to, and after my assessment I was agonising over whether I would get diagnosed. It was a heck of a weight off my shoulders when I did get diagnosed. I'd never had imposter syndrome like that before. 

Legally there's a huge difference, I agree. We can't go churning out benefits etc to everyone and anyone who just says they're autistic, but don't disregard that there will be plenty of genuinely neurodivergent people out there who won't be getting their voices heard for a variety of reasons. 

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, patiirc said:

I've never understood the hostility on this board and I never will.

15 hours ago, patiirc said:

But hey, you'd absolutely know best being a gender critical person last time I checked and thus hating that I exist by default 

People might get prickly at you making unrelated antagonistic comments like that. 

Edited by Tommy!

3 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I had a friend who used to work with autistic people, and the professionals who would come in to support the people would say to them "you realise you're autistic as well, right?" just from observing them doing their job at the time.

So, professional experts then. 

3 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

We can't go churning out benefits etc to everyone and anyone who just says they're autistic,

We don’t. The DWP dehumanise disabled people as it is  nobody get a free pass or more money just because they opt into a disability  

12 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

That's not an "official" diagnosis, but there's a big difference between "I think this is my condition" or people who know you saying "I suspect this may be what's going on with you" and "I saw this thing on TikTok/Instagram/YouTube about how this ND person really liked to organise their cutlery drawer a particular way, I do that too, so I'm obviously ND as well."

I totally agree. One of my issues with self diagnosis is these are the people diagnosing others, who then diagnose others. Some people WANT to be called autistic because they have either decided that’s them and/or it’s a cool label to have. And they can all fuck off. 

• Paid Members
Just now, Keith Houchen said:

So, professional experts then. 

But not an "official" diagnosis. Just being told  "you know you're on the spectrum, right? ". That friend still doesn't feel they'd be able to go through the assessment process. 

2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

We don’t. The DWP dehumanise disabled people as it is  nobody get a free pass or more money just because they opt into a disability

I got turned down for my PIP application in spite of the evidence about my diagnosis I could provide. It's a ridiculous state of affairs. Mind you I didn't think I'd be eligible for anything anyway because of how "capable" I can appear. 

5 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I totally agree. One of my issues with self diagnosis is these are the people diagnosing others, who then diagnose others. Some people WANT to be called autistic because they have either decided that’s them and/or it’s a cool label to have. And they can all fuck off. 

Yup. With you on that one. 

• Paid Members

On a light hearted note because the last like six pages have been just depressing as fuck to read a mate asked what I did with my two weeks off work and I responded 

"I took some bus journeys around Wales, wish I'd taken a few more trains, I fucking love trains...yes that is the most autistic thing I've ever said"

We all laughed because I once went into a 25 minute rant on Sheldon Cooper being autistic and how it was perceived as a joke but that man loves trains.

I've nothing good to add to this discussion. I was lucky my university noticed signs I did that school and college just thought was me trying too hard to fit in. If I didn't have my diagnosis and realise I'm different but not less I probably wouldn't be here to post.

I encourage everyone who thinks they think a little differently to speak to a professional. But never self diagnose. That just opens your mind up to bad thoughts and bad moments. Just talk to someone with knowledge. The world will be a better place when we all just talk and don't shield our nuances from everyone else to fit in.

7 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Just being told  "you know you're on the spectrum, right? "

But it’s who is doing the telling is the point. Being told by someone with medical expertise in the field is more valid than some berk on social media who thinks liking some Japanese cartoon puts you on the spectrum. 

10 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I got turned down for my PIP application in spite of the evidence about my diagnosis I could provide. It's a ridiculous state of affairs. Mind you I didn't think I'd be eligible for anything anyway because of how "capable" I can appear. 

It’s fucking criminal is what it is. The horrible traps they set and failing people regardless because they bank on people not appealing the decision. 

My gf makes a distinction between “Self diagnosed” and “Self defined” and just explained it to me. To some, neurodivergent means autistic so that’s the label they go with. Others look into symptoms and rule out other neurodivergent conditions, such as ADHD, OCD etc, and after ruling them out they go with what’s left. I think that’s a fair way of looking at it. After all, there are a lot of overlapping symptoms between them. 

6 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

We all laughed because I once went into a 25 minute rant on Sheldon Cooper being autistic and how it was perceived as a joke but that man loves trains

I read how they didn’t say he was autistic because if he was, you couldn’t laugh at him. Pretty shitty in my opinion. 

• Paid Members

@Keith Houchen I have very little time for Chuck Lorre and this is a particular reason why.

They deliberately made a character who wasn't neurotypical and made a joke about how he was normal because his mother had him tested but never followed up on it.

My entire teen and adult life was people calling me Sheldon because I hate humans, go mad levels of fascinated on things, don't understand emotion but it was funny because I was like the gangly weirdo on TV. It's why I defend to the hills people like Chloe Hayden and Heartbreak High. A true representation of autism in media that doesn't shy away from the shit moments but is fucking proud of our quirks.

Yes I fucking love trains. I also enjoy hugging my friends, being in busy environments with the right support system in place and flirting with anyone I meet. 

My quiz team name is Captain Autistic because I'm autistic and I'm fucking fantastic.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

But it’s who is doing the telling is the point. Being told by someone with medical expertise in the field is more valid than some berk on social media who thinks liking some Japanese cartoon puts you on the spectrum. 

That's true. 

6 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

My gf makes a distinction between “Self diagnosed” and “Self defined” and just explained it to me. To some, neurodivergent means autistic so that’s the label they go with. Others look into symptoms and rule out other neurodivergent conditions, such as ADHD, OCD etc, and after ruling them out they go with what’s left. I think that’s a fair way of looking at it. After all, there are a lot of overlapping symptoms between them

That's a brilliant way of putting it. If I'd been able to phrase it anywhere close to that originally it'd probably have saved pages of heated discussion. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

That's a brilliant way of putting it. If I'd been able to phrase it anywhere close to that originally it'd probably have saved pages of heated discussion. 

It's the UKFF. At least 5 pages of every thread is people having heated discussion.

10 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

It's why I defend to the hills people like Chloe Hayden and Heartbreak High.

Oh is that the one who, sorry for being vague here, was being told how she didn’t seem autistic and replied with “OK, Sia”. I’ve only saw a clip and they had antipodean accents. Regardless, I was roaring at that!

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

Oh is that the one who, sorry for being vague here, was being told how she didn’t seem autistic and replied with “OK, Sia”. I’ve only saw a clip and they had antipodean accents. Regardless, I was roaring at that!

Yeah one of the reasons she got mad famous in Australia was that the Sia Autism movie she slated like hell online and that's how the line got put in the show. She's released a book on how it's okay to be Autistic, does workshops and talks has won awards for the character portrayal.

I fucking am mad in love with her and she's due to do a UK book tour and I'll cry more than when I met Nova Twins.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

What about Atypical as a representation? I really enjoyed that show and thought it was very respectful and well done. Interested to hear some views. 

Mixed views. Like the Good Doctor it's fantastic in its writing and not playing things for laughs, even with a neurotypical lead playing an Autistic character. 

But at times I did feel like it played it up for a dramatic level where it wasn't needed where just not adding effect would have had as much impact. But it's TV drama, has to add something to everything.

Overall though, really well produced TV