Autism

Nick Soapdish

10 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

It was. Not our usual doctor, but a doctor none the less. Just trying to figure out who we complain to.

Jesus fucking Christ. That’s beyond appalling! I’m sorry for your family having to put up with such shocking ignorance and medical stupidity. Best of luck in getting an apology for that, and hopefully that doctor will have nothing to do with any neurological issues ever again. A small amount of Autism indeed. How did they measure the autism? Was it like taking blood pressure? Fucking hell. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Jesus fucking Christ. That’s beyond appalling! I’m sorry for your family having to put up with such shocking ignorance and medical stupidity. Best of luck in getting an apology for that, and hopefully that doctor will have nothing to do with any neurological issues ever again. A small amount of Autism indeed. How did they measure the autism? Was it like taking blood pressure? Fucking hell. 

When she had the appointment he did say, “it says here you’ve recently been diagnosed with Autism, I can see you have a little bit of it now”. We joked about it afterwards and made up a little dance to show off the little bit of autism. We just thought it was a weird, yet harmless comment. Obviously he’s just useless when it comes to neurodiverse conditions.

• Paid Members

Good grief. Did he get his medical licence by sending in tokens from a cereal packet? Watch he doesn't try and get you sent for ABA or something. 

When I got my diagnosis one of the resources suggested in my report was Autism $peaks, and I noped the whole way past that one. There were some other autistic people at the thing I went to yesterday, and there's a big meeting next Wednesday to discuss justice for people with learning disabilities, and autistic folks. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Following our car accident a few years back, my daughter is still having neck issues. She had an appointment to see a doctor recently and we just received the report. 5 times in the report he has said, "on occasion she has suffered with a small amount of Autism". WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK

Is she, and I don't like this term at all but for the want of a better one I'll go with it anyway, regarded as high functioning, if you don't mind me asking?

Jesus, that’s outrageous, @Hannibal Scorch! Can you make a formal complain about this?

On the subject of charities - and this might be a separate thread - but I’ve recently been working with a charity in an IT consultancy basis that had to be THE worst charity I’ve ever known. Small but national, run by an incompetent CEO who had controls everything, has to have the final decision of everything (even if they don’t know about the subject matter), and is generally a loose canon. They continually have security breaches because personal devices are used, passwords are shared and no-one understands MFA, and they are in serious breach of GDPR in a huge way but there’s no sense of responsibility over any of it.

I’ve considered reporting them to the IOC but as my contract with them ended before Christmas then I’m loathed to get involved any more and want to just leave them to implode.

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Is she, and I don't like this term at all but for the want of a better one I'll go with it anyway, regarded as high functioning, if you don't mind me asking?

Yes she is. She got her diagnosis just before she turned 9 last year and it was a struggle due to masking for the school to support her (it was a few times that they witnessed her doing things she only normally did at home that led to it). We’re extremely similar with our traits whilst my son is the opposite and more obvious with being non verbal. 

And I get it, but if you’re a doctor and she’s got a diagnosis on her records, I don’t think it’s an appropriate response. Just screams of being uninformed, though I appreciate I’m over sensitive as it’s my daughter.

And I know what you mean about using those terms, but it’s sometimes and easier, albeit lazier, to explain it.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

You’re absolutely not being over-sensitive so get that out right now. You can see from the responses here that this is completely inappropriate and you need to address it. Even if you don’t want to formally complain, you should speak to the doctor because this wording (even if it’s not their direct view) is unacceptable and should not be used under any circumstances.

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Yes she is.

And there lies the problem. Well, the problem with people's perception, that is.

My 14yo is largely non-verbal and you could tell very quickly from being in her company that she could be autistic due to how she acts (or doesn't). My 15yo, however, does not present in the same way - they present more neurotypically. Sadly, in the eyes of many, if you're the latter then it's generally a lot more difficult to have your diagnosis taken seriously and can be seen as a 'lesser' form of autism. This has been a source of great distress for me and my 15yo. One of the many ways in which autism is misrepresented. That there are those in the medical profession still doing this is appalling and I'm sorry your family have been subjected to this.

• Paid Members

I agree with @Spudyou're definitely not being over-sensitive about it. I got turned down for PIP because I don't appear to struggle. 

• Paid Members

Something I’ve wondered and apologies if it comes across as insensitive as I have little personal experience with it, is at what point do quirks and behaviours stop being just “things you do” and become autism?

I know there’s a spectrum but where is the line on that spectrum where you would start looking at a diagnosis? 
Obviously if it’s something very noticeable like being non-verbal, but I mean moreso people that are as Devon has said “high functioning”. 

Edited by FelatioLips

• Paid Members

A friend suggested it to me because of certain emotional responses I'd have to things that happened to me, and i saw my GP about it. I think a fair bit of it can be because of people spotting these behaviours in others, as opposed to somebody realising it themselves? I could be wrong. 

1 minute ago, FelatioLips said:

I know there’s a spectrum but where is the line on that spectrum where you would start looking at a diagnosis? 

It’s key to remember that the spectrum isn’t a linear scale. The only people on the spectrum are those with ASD. My girlfriend is sure that members of her family are autistic but they rebuff it with “Well everyone is on the spectrum aren’t they”. Well, no they aren’t. 

I would start with assessing how “Quirks and idiosyncrasies” affect and hinder you in everyday life. If you have difficulty processing stimuli and get overwhelmed, then take a look at NHS resources online. If you just put your DVDs in alphabetical order, keep doing it. 

Do you think reasonable adjustments at work would help? That sort of thing? My girlfriend has been asked what benefits her from her diagnosis late on in life and she said it’s helped her understand herself and be more comfortable with herself better. There’s lots of support for kids but as adults receiving a diagnosis, there isn’t much apart from being coded medically. 

• Paid Members

Sorry I should point out I’m asking from a position of wanting to learn rather than it being something I deal with personally. I was diagnosed with Anxiety as a teenager and I have had some strong ADHD traits since being a child that I still have now (though without a diagnosis I would never tell people I have ADHD) but personally autism isn’t something I’ve dealt with so I just want to be more aware and educated on it.