Autism

Nick Soapdish

I work in a school in one of the most affluent yet retrograde local authorities in Scotland. Areas of greater deprivation are far better resourced than us in terms of disability/equality/equity and I have long feared that we do not have sufficient grasp on the 'big' issues just now (for example: we conflate trauma informed practice with the ACEs model to the degree that none of the big wigs can tell the difference anymore).

In our authority, neurodiversity/autism are almost exclusively referred to as ASD. Purely for my own understanding: can any of you explain why ASD is an antiquated/inappropriate term? I'm asking with the best of intentions: is it a semantic reason or is there new research that debunks autism as being a 'disorder'?

Thanks.

37 minutes ago, StrongStyle said:

for my own understanding: can any of you explain why ASD is an antiquated/inappropriate term?

It isn’t. It’s a modern term that’s used as a catch all. There were diagnoses that no longer get used, such as Asperger’s due to how it mainly focused on boys and had Nazi connotations. 

45 minutes ago, StrongStyle said:

is it a semantic reason or is there new research that debunks autism as being a 'disorder

Pretty much. It’s both a disorder and a disability. Some people don’t like those terms but it doesn’t stop it being both. They aren’t dirty words. 

• Paid Members

Second episode of Inside Our Autistic Minds was another good one. It was another one of those where I'd watch the TV and nod and just "yes, I do that" along with it. Shame I think it's only 2 episodes. Another series dealing with older people, or more autistic women, or even other neurodivergent conditions would be a good watch. 

On 2/23/2023 at 3:02 AM, jazzygeofferz said:

Second episode of Inside Our Autistic Minds was another good one. It was another one of those where I'd watch the TV and nod and just "yes, I do that" along with it. Shame I think it's only 2 episodes. Another series dealing with older people, or more autistic women, or even other neurodivergent conditions would be a good watch. 

I thought the way they screened the lads story on three screens to make it immersive was a great idea. It really added to the “No Escape” feel of it. His film was great too, really hit home how all the noises were constantly there. My girlfriend thought everyone was like that, but I tried to explain it was like our brains have a mixing desk that can lower the volume on sounds so we can concentrate on what we need to at the relevant time, such as the person talking to you. She doesn’t have that so it’s a constant barrage!

Loved the other story about how important routine is. I knew how important it is to my gf but the film encapsulated what it took me ages to understand and learn. I really hope the series helps people understand what it’s like for Autists, every day is a battle against foes the rest of us don’t see or think of as foes. 

• Paid Members

Thanks to @Your Fight SiteI've managed to end up with a pair of Loop Expérience earplugs. I also got a very nice offer from @Frankie Crispfor which I am also grateful.

I tried them today at my job centre appointment, a disability informations and services event at King George' s Hall, and doing the shopping with my mum. What a revelation they are. Background noise is reduced in volume so much. It's still kind of noticeable, but at a much more bearable level. At one point a lady at the infomation event was asking me about my "piercings" when I explained that they were earplugs, and took them out to show her (out of context is going to have a field day with this post). When I did remove them I actually gasped and remarked about how noisy it actually was. I can still hold conversations, listen to music, watch TV etc, but without that constant wash of random background noises my sensory issues are so much easier to manage. They come in a little handy carry case as well. 

I hear the Loop Engage are supposed to be better as the sound of your own breathing and voice etc inside your own head isn't as bad, but they're usually quite difficult to find, and I think they dampen less sound (14dB compared to 17dB from the Experience). 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• 2 weeks later...

Just found out that this is in tonight. Very much looking forward to it. Even with my limited experience, I was shocked at how many autistic women were missed out or slipped through the net when it came to diagnosing. Medical research and treatment is heavily designed around male biology anyway but for autism it seems further apart. Thank goodness young girls are getting diagnosed earlier these days and getting the support so many girls and women didn’t. 

• Paid Members

Sounds interesting. There needs to be more awareness of people assigned female at birth on the spectrum. I'll give it a watch. 

The people I'm moving towards volunteering for have asked me to attend a group today as one of the new attendees is Autistic, and they're hoping I can help him feel a little less isolated. There's also a mi thly lived experience event that I've been asked to attend at our local library. 

I started listening to Neurotribes in Audible as well. The chapters are long, but I also appear to have the Kindle edition so I can read along. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

There was an interesting conversation around how girls not being diagnosed or misdiagnosed can lead to mental health issues. And of course girls weren’t considered autistic because it was seen as a condition for boys. One girl was diagnosed with eating disorders but it was never about losing weight, it was about texture and smell. The difference between eating disorders and disordered eating, if you will. The group for autistic mums with autistic children was lovely to see. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

STILL NO EXCUSE FOR HATING OUR BRAVE BOYS SO MUCH!!! IF HE HATES ENGLAND SO MUCH WHY IS HE TAKING ENGLISH WAGES ETC!!

(Thanks for the article!)

• Paid Members

I've been listening to 1800 Seconds On Autism on BBC Sounds. The presenters are autistic, and it's equal parts entertaining and informative. I even listened to an episode with my mum after she got back from her holiday on Sunday night and she enjoyed it. There were some episodes recorded in 2018, and it looks like more episodes dropped, and avoided being damaged, last month. 

9 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

and it looks like more episodes dropped,

and avoided being damaged 

Me reading that.  
 luis suarez GIF

Thanks for the heads up, will check it out!  Seeing how it’s Autism Awareness Week, has anyone seen any corporate visibility, such as more quiet hours in shops, or accessible public transport etc? I’ve seen nothing but then I don’t get out much. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Me reading that.  
 luis suarez GIF

Thanks for the heads up, will check it out!  Seeing how it’s Autism Awareness Week, has anyone seen any corporate visibility, such as more quiet hours in shops, or accessible public transport etc? I’ve seen nothing but then I don’t get out much. 

I’ve seen nothing and I’ve been to Tesco, Asda and Sainsburys in the last few days #ilikesupermarkets