Autism

Nick Soapdish

2 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I'd like to believe that is a genuine mistake and that he does think that his lad hasn't been well lately, rather than he meant that autism is an illness.

And I bloody hate Pearce, so I'm not one to normally defend him.

He would’ve scripted the line prior to kickoff in case he scored, he could’ve researched for ten extra seconds because he knew he was wearing boots for his lad. 

13 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

He would’ve scripted the line prior to kickoff in case he scored, he could’ve researched for ten extra seconds because he knew he was wearing boots for his lad. 

Just be glad it wasn't Drury*

"GOAL!!! A SPECIAL GOAL!!! A GOAL FOR THE WHOLE SPECTRUM!!! PUZZLE PIECES EVERYWHERE!!! MAGIC JIGSAW MAN!!!"

*Love you Peter.

Edited by SuperBacon
Ffs

On 1/28/2023 at 4:16 PM, Keith Houchen said:

A lot of people don’t like it because of Autism Speaks and how they use it. AS believe Autism can be cured so any connotations with them don’t sit well with a lot of autistic people. As you say it implies a piece is missing.

A point of clarification. I posted misinformation about Autism Speaks. I went along with the consensus I’d heard without checking. I was wrong and hold my hand up and apologise. This article goes into dispelling myths and outdated information about Autism Speaks. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

A point of clarification. I posted misinformation about Autism Speaks. I went along with the consensus I’d heard without checking. I was wrong and hold my hand up and apologise. This article goes into dispelling myths and outdated information about Autism Speaks. 

Fair play for you holding your hands up. Good article but i'll admit I am still cautious. That video maybe 12 years old, but it was their video! How do we know that they are completely all good now and it isn't just damage limitation? That said, we encountered some truly awful Autism charities out of the US who would be able to promise you results if you paid them thousands to attend their retreats with lots of propaganda videos. My wife was ready to clear out what little savings we had before I did my research on them (and to be fair this was very early into our sons diagnosis. She is extremely knowledgeable now and knows how dangerous those organizations are. 

6 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

That video maybe 12 years old, but it was their video! How do we know that they are completely all good now and it isn't just damage limitation?

It’s certainly a valid concern and you’re right to be suspicious. I think that they removed it within days of posting it counts for something and that they’ve grown a lot since. But I think it’ll always be a question mark. 

Glad you researched into those, let’s be honest, fraudulent criminals and weren’t duped into handing over cash. 

• Paid Members

Now, they unfollowed these accounts a couple of days ago but it's one of the many reasons why I don't trust this organisation and would not even consider referring anybody to use them or trust them as a resource. And that blog was written by one of the 3 people that Autism Speaks follows on Twitter so yeah. Fuck Autism Speaks.

2 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Now, they unfollowed these accounts a couple of days ago but it's one of the many reasons why I don't trust this organisation and would not even consider referring anybody to use them or trust them as a resource. And that blog was written by one of the 3 people that Autism Speaks follows on Twitter so yeah. Fuck Autism Speaks.

Wow. That’s incredibly telling. Thanks for that. 

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Fair play for you holding your hands up. Good article but i'll admit I am still cautious. That video maybe 12 years old, but it was their video! How do we know that they are completely all good now and it isn't just damage limitation?

As far as I'm aware, they've never gone on record and denounced or apologised for their previous stances. They've quietly modified their 'mission statement', mainly because they understand that no autistic person or anybody who cares for autistic people who have a molecule of knowledge of support groups are going to approach them.

It really upsets me that they're one of the first groups people talk about when the subject of autism support is raised. There are tons and tons of actual great support groups, networks and charities out here that don't get an ounce of their ill-deserved publicity and attention.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

As far as I'm aware, they've never gone on record and denounced or apologised for their previous stances. They've quietly modified their 'mission statement', mainly because they understand that no autistic person or anybody who cares for autistic people who have a molecule of knowledge of support groups are going to approach them.

It really upsets me that they're one of the first groups people talk about when the subject of autism support is raised. There are tons and tons of actual great support groups, networks and charities out here that don't get an ounce of their ill-deserved publicity and attention.

I would say a lot of that is true of most BIG BRAND charities. Wasn't it something silly like the Susan G Koeman, who are the breast cancer charity WWE support each year only uses 10% of donations to go into research and support. Even charities here like Oxfam have a multimillion pound office in central London which just seems a waste of money. 

2 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Even charities here like Oxfam have a multimillion pound office in central London which just seems a waste of money. 

I know it isn’t what you’re doing, but there seems to be a train of thought that charities should slum it. People get outraged that charities have offices and salaries but the truth is without them, they simply wouldn’t get the donations they do. Oxfam is a great example of this. I’m sure we’ve all seen posts wailing about the CEO of Oxfam and how they draw a six figure salary. How that money could be spend on actual reasons why people donate. What they don’t ever mention is how that salary is justified because under their stewardship, donations have increased by over ten times that salary so in the charities eyes, it’s money well spent. 

Another critique is “Admin”. The same people seem to think charities should be reliant on charities when it comes to infrastructure. Pretty much every office I’ve ever worked in the number one complaint is slow systems and poor IT. If you have good IT and support, you have better admin. They seem to think charities should be run in spare rooms with donated laptops!

Assets is another. Many charities have millions and millions in assets. These are usually denounced as a reason to not donate as they have all this money in the bank. In truth it’s invested in stocks and pension funds, sometimes property, to ensure a regular stable income. Im not saying it’s a particular type of person who condemns this, but when you mention how it’s one of the big earners for Help For Heroes, they tend to keep quiet. 

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Another critique is “Admin”. The same people seem to think charities should be reliant on charities when it comes to infrastructure. Pretty much every office I’ve ever worked in the number one complaint is slow systems and poor IT. If you have good IT and support, you have better admin. They seem to think charities should be run in spare rooms with donated laptops!

This is very, very true - I worked for a conservation charity, and we had this kind of discussion a lot. I was in their Finance office, and we had shitty computers and outdated accounting software, and no budget to upgrade. If you need a new gorilla enclosure, you can very easily mock up a campaign and get some big money donations coming in. If you need to raise some funds for research into an endangered kind of frog, you can shake buckets and hand out flyers. But if you say, "10% of every purchase in the gift shop goes towards upgrading our version of QuickBooks and getting a decent internet connection for the London office", people aren't just not going to donate, they're going to be actively pissed off that you would dare spend money on such things. Even though, in the long run, they'd probably do a lot more good than one-off payments toward specific projects or campaigns. It's hard to raise money for stuff that isn't "sexy", but that money has to come from somewhere.

There are a lot of charities and non-profits that handle their finances very badly - some by design, some just through poor management - so I'm not saying that none of this stuff should be questioned, but sometimes it is as simple as "if we pay this CEO ÂŁX, that might be a lot of money, but if they can bring in ÂŁX+1, it's worth it", but that's not as exciting a headline as "CHARITY BOSS TAKES HOME SIX FIGURES". That, and the salary needs to be competitive, because with all the will in the world, people generally go to charities knowing that they're taking a pay cut, but they're not going to do it for nothing, and chances are the CEO making six figures at Oxfam (or wherever) could be CEOing for twice that in a private firm, so you need to at least still make it worth their while.

Edited by BomberPat

I work for a child protection charity and as pointed out @BomberPatI could be earning more money elsewhere but I believe in the cause and think the work we do is important. I also wouldn't be able to cover the scope that I do at work if I was employed by social services etc.  Charities have a lot of overheads to be able to provide the services they do, we do a lot of outreach and work in the community, it's hard work. Charity employees arent stood on street corners shaking a tin, we are skilled professionals doing a much needed job and we deserve to be paid fairly for it. I have children of my own to feed and a roof to keep over my head. 

As pointed out by both, things like poor ICT hinder the work and also mean we have to take twice as long doing a task (usually less effectively) so using donations for stuff like this does make people angry but we need the infrastructure to be able to do our jobs properly and cost effectively.

Our CEO works incredibly hard and has a lot that comes under his remit, the organisation I work for does heavily influence legislation around Child Protection. He more than warrants his hefty pay, which again would be a lot more if he was working elsewhere

Edited by deathrey

• Paid Members

Following our car accident a few years back, my daughter is still having neck issues. She had an appointment to see a doctor recently and we just received the report. 5 times in the report he has said, "on occasion she has suffered with a small amount of Autism". WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK