Autism

Nick Soapdish

2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I attended a health/work event at the local job centre yesterday (always a difficult sensory experience for me), but it was still a little productive.

The people my job coach asked me to see specifically said they didn't think I was ready for their service yet, but that once I was they'd more than likely be able to help me into a job in logistics given my experience and skills. 

I also spoke to an organisation called Andy's Man Club which provides peer to peer support. It just sounds like somewhere to go to have somebody to talk to. It might be good to check out sometime. 

I also spoke to a lady from an organisation called re:fresh/Care Network, and she said she wanted to speak to autistic people to better understand our needs in order to improve the services and support they can provide. She also me tioned something about possibly volunteering in group sessions they have, but I was starting to get a little overwhelmed by all the noise and activity around me. Anyway, I'm meeting her at their shop/unit in town opposite the library on Tuesday morning to talk about it further. I don't know how the job centre or ESA will react, but I have an appointment with my job coach (who's also called Jazz) on Wednesday anyway. I see it as another opportunity to get used to being around different people again, which will hopefully help me to get a little closer to returning to work. 

It's been a busy week. Anxiety was getting pretty high yesterday, but I think it was because I was getting burned out. 

@patiircsome autism/adhd channels I watch on YouTube are Purple Ella, Yo Samdy Sam, Neurodivergent Rebel, Asperger's From The Inside, and The Aspie World. I'd say to steer clear of videos that go into too much detail about the diagnosis/assessment process as it may lead you to try and act a certain way, even if unconsciously to try and get the outcome you want, but at the same time it can sometimes help to have a little inkling of what to expect. They do all provide great content about their experiences, coping methods and the like. Worth watching. Hopefully you're not waiting too long for your assessment. Try not to think about it too much (easier said than done) and if the assessment does turn out the way you expect there'll also be a lot of "what if?" about things in the past you used to dismiss, which you may now realise were neurodivergent traits. 

Nice one on the job stuff.

Thanks for the links I'll go and do some research.

I've already done a lot of the 'what if' stuff with the Autophobia as If I'd known, most of the last decade/ 15 years would have been completely different. There's a lot of things that if I'd known wouldn't have happened from work, friendships and relationships decisions etc. I can't  make amends or apologise to in most cases and it's horrible to know things that I didn't then .

That would've been super helpful at the time  to prevent the dumpster fire that things became and not hurt people I never knew I was hurting :(

Regards the other things . It's been noted by friends etc that I get Asmr tingles, hyperfocus, executive dysfunction especially over chores, mail, and money have been pointed out repeatedly and that I'm alien who isn't from this planet, because don't always get social customs etc. Also I take what people say at face value and believe them as don't get lying etc, struggle with emotional regulation and reaction to and get overwhelmed massively in new places etc

Special interests, include retro games, transformers, DVDs, trying to understand humanity etc.

Stims include tapping nails, restless leg , rubbing knees, smoking as a tactile  and visual stim, strong flavours such as drinking Worcester Sauce out of the bottle. Hand flapping.

From what I've been told, it's likely when not if and tangible answers and help with that will help with not doing the bad things again .

I've no idea how to work with or soothe the above though hopefully can find answers to help.

Thanks once again 

22 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

What has this got to do with anything?

I'm just going on what I've been told that having special interests is a neurodivergent sign.

I probably don't make much sense at the moment as I don't understand it myself.

Sorry 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, patiirc said:

I'm just going on what I've been told that having special interests is a neurodivergent sign.

Everyone has a special interest, don't they? Not everyone is on the autistic spectrum.

Whoever is telling you this or wherever you're reading this - stop listening to them because they are talking absolute shite.

Also, stop listing absolutely everything that has happened or is happening in your life, every aspect of your personality, and every interaction that you had with another human being and then pawing through it looking for some semblance confirmation that you're on the spectrum. See and speak to medical professionals and use medically approved websites as sources. Your mates telling you you might be autistic because you play a lot of Flimbo's Quest is not a reliable source.

On 1/10/2023 at 11:39 PM, patiirc said:

A series of events recently has meant that I've finally been put forward for both ADHD and Autism diagnoses.

That and possible Autophobia and undiagnosed EUPD would explain why I was a total asshole at times.

The relief is phenomenal as I've now got names for things I've struggled for years, and more importantly can start to manage them

Does anyone have any good pods, or YouTube channels to  ASD or ADHD things.

Cheers

Would you mind me saying you’ve suffered from absolutely every single phobia known to man (or CIS male)

you’re a drama king/Queen of the highest order. It’s a massive probability that you’ll never find/know who you really are which is sad

19 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Everyone has a special interest, don't they? Not everyone is on the autistic spectrum.

Whoever is telling you this or wherever you're reading this - stop listening to them because they are talking absolute shite.

Also, stop listing absolutely everything that has happened or is happening in your life, every aspect of your personality, and every interaction that you had with another human being and then pawing through it looking for some semblance confirmation that you're on the spectrum. See and speak to medical professionals and use medically approved websites as sources. Your mates telling you you might be autistic because you play a lot of Flimbo's Quest is not a reliable source.

Have I said that about 'everyone has a special interest' no I haven't.I don't get why you think I would either.

I came here looking for help as struggling.

Drs have confirmed that referrals have gone in today

I've never understood the hostility on this board and I never will.

Reach out for help, try and explain what's going on and where to go for anything that can at least give me an idea of what's going on and what to do about , and the answer is to shout and scream at me.

It's not just playing flimbos quest to your example it would be finding and playing and owning and completing every version, then reading about the development of the game, the history of the Dev team, checking out other games and doing the same for them, then getting any tat related to it 

First played on an Atari ST Demo in 1990 and enjoy the jaunty tunes.

Not sure really how else I'm meant to respond to that tbh.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, patiirc said:

Have I said that about 'everyone has a special interest' no I haven't.I don't get why you think I would either.

My apologies. What I meant to say is that not all 'neurodivergent' people have a special interest. This is a stereotype.

Reach out for help, try and explain what's going on and where to go for anything that can at least give me an idea of what's going on and what to do about , and the answer is to shout and scream at me.

Who's done this? Trademark pat. If someone gives you a reply that isn't cushioned with a bow on it, you take it as a personal attack. You asked for help and advice, I attempted to give you some. A schoolboy error on my part, clearly.

It's not just playing flimbos quest to your example it would be finding and playing and owning and completing every version, then reading about the development of the game, the history of the Dev team, checking out other games and doing the same for them, then getting any tat related to it 

Once again, this isn't necessarily a trait of a person of someone on a spectrum. That's just being very interested in something.

11 minutes ago, patiirc said:

I came here looking for help as struggling.

Drs have confirmed that referrals have gone in today

First played on an Atari ST Demo in 1990 and enjoy the jaunty tunes.

Not sure really how else I'm meant to respond to that tbh.

Devon is same as you…. ‘Pathetic and teaching for help’

Devon and Keith are actually a the saddest/worst people on that site and it’s genuinely the only satisfaction they get in their lives…..

• Paid Members

I agree with D Mal, a lot of people do have special interests, that in itself doesn't necessarily mean you automatically belong on the spectrum. Autistic traits are human traits, after all. It's how the traits fit together and the larger package that is the difference. That isn't to say your special interests aren't a valid part of any diagnosis you may receive, but your symptoms and traits taken individually aren't all automatic red flags. 

It is possible if you've had trauma and/or a history of some drugs they may try and attribute some of it to that. I have a friend whose neurodivergent assessment was tricky because of all the experiences they had at the hands of their ex, and other traumatic life events. 

Take everything as it comes. Try not to expect any particular outcome. I remember agonising about whether or not I'd get diagnosed, and what would happen next if it turned out I wasn't autistic.  There was some serious imposter syndrome but it felt like a huge weight off my shoulders, but then the work begins. Figuring out how your brain works, how best to deal with certain stimuli etc. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

1 minute ago, Devon Malcolm said:

My apologies. What I meant to say is that not all 'neurodivergent' people have a special interest. This is a stereotype.

Who's done this? Trademark pat. If someone gives you a reply that isn't cushioned with a bow on it, you take it as a personal attack. You asked for help and advice, I attempted to give you some. A schoolboy error on my part, clearly.

Once again, this isn't necessarily a trait of a person of someone on a spectrum. That's just being very interested in something.

Okay regards stereotype, I didn't know

I don't know what a 'trademark pat' is.

I absolutely struggle with communication that I don't get or is confusing. I absolutely fear conflict having had it physically beaten out of me several times over the last 25 years or so, got a permanent reminder of that too, divot in my head from my last but one partner.

I've taken your advice and I thank you for it.

Finally I can only go on what I've been told. I'm trying to learn so I can deal with it.

Not freaking out if routine changes or, my clothes annoy me to the point of meltdown. Disordered eating, clear struggles voicing opinion, failing to read the room, not understanding why and what the response should be so get frustrated because it feels like I'm speaking in a different language to everyone all of the time . Help with that would be really useful to function as an adult.