Autism

Nick Soapdish

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

I'm not sure it's not wanting, more not really worried. Good point about the depression though, I hadn't considered that.

Because the symptoms/traits are so broad and people are in different places in the spectrum people sometimes will get their requests for a diagnosis dismissed as anxiety/depression and treated for mental health rather than an assessment for autism etc, which isn't to say you can't be neurodivergent AND depressed. 

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

My nephew is a non verbal autistic four year old. I’ve seen how difficult it can be for his parents but I’ve never considered things like eye tests. That must be so difficult for everyone. My brother said when his son was diagnosed how great it was that there was support for him, but pretty much nothing for the parents. He’s given up work so he can be his full time carer and although he wouldn’t change a thing, like all parents, I do think he gets frustrated and overwhelmed sometimes. 

When he got diagnosed all the support was aimed at my wife. From friends to even GP ringing to see if she needed help. Me i got nothing, indeed a few friends asked only to be met with floods of tears that they didnt know how to deal with so they stopped asking, 

I stopped seeing a friends from early childhood for a while i later learnt he told a friend "if he cant be bothered to come and see me i wont see him"  he lived alone with zero responsibility meanwhile i was attempting to hold everything together in my life.  

Having a disabled kid soon shows whos up for the long haul. 

Edited by quote the raven

• Paid Members

A friend in need, and all that.

It's good that they're offering support to your wife, but not good that they're not offering the support to you. 

When I told the former Mrs Jazzy that I wanted to try and find extra support with my autism etc she just said "you're Autistic. Deal with it." 

• Paid Members

Had my little. Meeting today to discuss possibly doing some. Voluntary work for a charity called Care Network. There are a couple of things they offer, from groups where people just meet for a brew and a chat, to IT training, finding tradespeople to help with jobs around the house, and fitness things. There's probably more as well. The lady I met, Fatiha, also told me about something called the Big Plan she would like me to help her with as well. All the details are here. 

https://www.carenetwork.org.uk/listing/category/the-big-plan-2020-2025

It feels a little overwhelming at the moment, but she said there's no rush or pressure to jump straight into anything. She's also going to email me with more information

L. 

• Paid Members

I k ow it's not strictly Autism related but this site has a LOT of resources relating to ADHD, and at the moment they have a "pay what you want/can" offer on for their ebooks and bundles. 

https://adhdoers.com/

Edited by jazzygeofferz

Wrexham footballer announces his son has a diagnosis. Loving the boots and hope it has a positive effect on awareness and education Obviously some of the comments are all “It’s not a disability, it’s a super power”. Piss off

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Wrexham footballer announces his son has a diagnosis. Loving the boots and hope it has a positive effect on awareness and education Obviously some of the comments are all “It’s not a disability, it’s a super power”. Piss off

It's good that he can be so open about it, but what are people's thoughts on the puzzle piece and the implication that there's something missing, as opposed to neurodivergent people just being different? I much prefer the rainbow infinity symbol. 

12 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

It's good that he can be so open about it, but what are people's thoughts on the puzzle piece and the implication that there's something missing, as opposed to neurodivergent people just being different? I much prefer the rainbow infinity symbol. 

Funnily enough, my girlfriend was talking about that this morning! A lot of people don’t like it because of Autism Speaks and how they use it. AS believe Autism can be cured so any connotations with them don’t sit well with a lot of autistic people. As you say it implies a piece is missing.

But the jigsaw piece was originally designed in 1963 and used by the National Autistic Society. One of the board members was a father of an autistic child and designed it to show that autism leads to a puzzling life for autistic people and how it’s a puzzle for non autistic people to understand. It shows interlocking pieces as opposed to a single piece because all autistic people are different. it was the 60s so I can see why the language there is outdated. 

The thing with the rainbow infinity thing is it isn’t a stand alone symbol to associate with autism. When people see a rainbow for a group of people, they think LGBT, so it isn’t a good visual to use. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

what are people's thoughts on the puzzle piece and the implication that there's something missing

Sorry I must be missing something, isn't that 4 pieces interlocking into a heart shape on his boot. There's no missing puzzle piece there is there, or am I not seeing something? 

I wouldn't look at those boots and draw that implication.

• Paid Members

I've got a jigsaw piece tattooed on my arm with the colours bleeding out and into the rest of my body.

For me, what made me happy with my diagnosis was the idea that there's a piece of me different from everyone else, but bright, colourful, not missing. I stand out for good reasons. It melts into the rest of my personality and gives me one I believe in rather than feeling like I was mossing something.

It was the final piece of my puzzle and while it doesn't match the rest, it made me complete.

On 1/28/2023 at 2:30 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Apologies for linking your own tweet but Paul Mullin scored a decisive goal and this was the commentary