Autism

Nick Soapdish

• Paid Members

Done. The appointment happened. She didn't go through all the feedback with me, just that they agree that a diagnosis of Autism is the way to go. They're going to email me a link to access a report online to read through along with Mrs Jazzy, and in about 3 weeks there'll be another Teams/Zoom meeting for any questions we may have for them, and further feedback. My mum said "we pretty much knew anyway, but now we actually know." I have no idea how my gran will take it. My Mum thinks it's because she doesn't fully understand Autism, and doesn't want to think of me as less than her perfect grandson. It's a conversation we'll have to have at some point though. I'll let work know as well.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

How have our kids coped with the summer holidays, then? Hope you've all been settled and it's been a bit easier than last summer was, for the most part.

Pretty quiet round these parts. 13yo has been taken to the cinema a lot, and the SeaLife Centre for her birthday but she found the latter stressful because there were loads of kids in making a racket. Some of the parents were making more noise though. She enjoyed the yellow puffer fish and the sharks, before some mum started yelling at her daughter and we beat a hasty retreat.

14yo has played Minecraft and mithered me for money. So just like any other time of the year, really.

Just starting to get things ready for school return next week by gradually putting school stuff around the flat so they know it's on the horizon. No budging on the 9.30 wake-ups though, so next Monday morning will be fun!

• Paid Members

I got turned down for the shift leader role at work. My manager said he had no doubt I'd be able to do it, but with my hernia giving me trouble sometimes, and my processing my autism diagnosis he didn't think it was the right time right now, and he wants to be sure I am ready if a position like that comes up again. Then he talked about how good I was at "filling the void" as in seeing what needed doing in the warehouse and usually getting on with it without needing to be asked, and how well I managed to keep in touch with the stock controllers and help them out with the discrepancies as and when they arise. Which translates as he's terrified of what state the stock would end up in if I wasn't there to deal with it. We do have a new shift leader incoming and he wants the other shift leader and me to be involved in training her because he knows we won't teach her any bad habits, then he's going to look at shuffling the teams around to try and establish a solid core. I told my old shift leader who left at the end of last year and he said it was just a nice saying they don't want to risk moving me away from my current role because of everything I do. 

On Friday I had a little bit of a meltdown because I'd had a busy few days and my usual routine had been upset, my best mate, who was director of HR and got me the job in the first place was leaving that day to move to Ireland, then I'd found out I had to cover 2 departments on the last Friday of the month while we were having a big push because we were under target. On top of that there was stuff that was very wrong with the stock and it all got too much for me. I threw some boxes around, had a bit of a rant about it and then just got back on with my several jobs for the rest of the night. I've got another night and a half leading shift, then I can give the keys back and get back on with that I usually do until my week off next week. I'm looking forward to it. 

• Paid Members

I'd got myself into a nice routine of 5 days of work with a set shift pattern (give or take an hour if they needed me earlier) and planned my other two days off so if I was called into work because of shortages it wouldn't mess with my schedule too much (a few missed shows here or there on my watch list and maybe having to buy a meal rather than cook but nothing that would stress me).

Then I went and got Covid. I feel absolutely fine physically but it's the break in routine, the fact I'm not allowed to leave my room unless for bathroom breaks due to other family members meaning I have no control on day to day aspects and that my room is right on a main road so cars going by all day mixed with stress and a feeling of being trapped is wiping my sensory overload into new extremes.

I can't go out until Monday so it's another six days of this. I'm just having some form of brain freeze after finally sorting myself out, getting a job I absolutely love that even in the busy stressful periods has massive upside and being able to be sociable and talk to people and stop being scared of the world, accidentally catching this (and being the only one at work and in my friendship group to do so) is setting me back months in progress.

• Paid Members

Got called to take my boy to his COVID jab Friday. Got to say they where great with him. Took us out the line to a separate room. I sat him next to me and asked them to give me a nod when ready. 

Bit of a bear hug while they injected him then let him go soon as it was done. Soon as it’s over he’s fine. He was very sleepy Saturday other than that he’s been ok. 

Feel much happier sending him back to school now. 

Edited by quote the raven

• Paid Members

That sounds rough @Shy Dad. If you do feel a little out of touch with people feel free to fire a message at me for a natter. Hope you manage to pass the time. 

17 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I got turned down for the shift leader role at work. My manager said he had no doubt I'd be able to do it, but with my hernia giving me trouble sometimes, and my processing my autism diagnosis he didn't think it was the right time right now, and he wants to be sure I am ready if a position like that comes up again. Then he talked about how good I was at "filling the void" as in seeing what needed doing in the warehouse and usually getting on with it without needing to be asked, and how well I managed to keep in touch with the stock controllers and help them out with the discrepancies as and when they arise. Which translates as he's terrified of what state the stock would end up in if I wasn't there to deal with it. We do have a new shift leader incoming and he wants the other shift leader and me to be involved in training her because he knows we won't teach her any bad habits, then he's going to look at shuffling the teams around to try and establish a solid core. I told my old shift leader who left at the end of last year and he said it was just a nice saying they don't want to risk moving me away from my current role because of everything I do. 

Hmm, on one hand well done, but on the other, that does seem that work are exploiting you or holding you back deliberately. 

I saw this so many times in a variety of jobs where people weren't promoted deliberately because of their skills where they were. Istead of keeping anf retaining them, by offering development they fucked off, leaving management lost and lower levels lost. 

It's something to look out for especially if your new manager is different in style to one's you are used too. 

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, patiirc said:

Hmm, on one hand well done, but on the other, that does seem that work are exploiting you or holding you back deliberately. 

I saw this so many times in a variety of jobs where people weren't promoted deliberately because of their skills where they were. Istead of keeping anf retaining them, by offering development they fucked off, leaving management lost and lower levels lost. 

It's something to look out for especially if your new manager is different in style to one's you are used too. 

He picks my brain about a lot of things because I've been there the second longest, but because of the roles I've had and my speaking better English than the guy who's been here longer I've got more knowledge of things. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Anyone else's developed this obsession?

Mine have never been arsed with that, the youngest of the two has been known to switch the washing machine off if she knows that I'm washing something of hers so that I'm fooled into thinking the cycle's done. Works every bloody time as well.

• Paid Members

So further to my not getting that shift leader job a while back the other shift leader is leaving at the end of this week. I don't know what they're going to do to replace her, whether they'll go back through the candidates from the other job or advertise it again. I can't help but feel like they're going to ask me to train them both up, in spite of them having turned me down for doing the role myself. 

@Devon Malcolm I can kind of understand the appreciation for washers etc because the colours etc swirling and rumbling around in there could be quite the Sensory experience. The noise might be a bit much for some though.

I was out with a friend last Thursday. We went to the museum of science and industry, and then strolled into town before I went home. They gave me a gift they'd picked up from Crich Tramway Village/Museum because they felt guilty for going without me. It was a book about all the rolling stock they have there. Loved it. Could have sacked off the museum there and then and just sat reading through the book banging on about the trams therein. Also spoke to my gran at the weekend about wanting to check out the railway museum at York, but not wanting to go on my own because it might be a bit much for me. She couldn't understand why. I feel like we both need to have a sit down and discuss these things in person, because she doesn't like talking on the phone much. 

13 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

So further to my not getting that shift leader job a while back the other shift leader is leaving at the end of this week. I don't know what they're going to do to replace her, whether they'll go back through the candidates from the other job or advertise it again. I can't help but feel like they're going to ask me to train them both up, in spite of them having turned me down for doing the role myself. 

Perhaps you could word it if they ask you to do that with something along the lines of “I don’t think I’m the best person for that job as I wasn’t the best person for their job, I don’t want to train them in bad practices”. It opens up a discussion if they say you are good enough as to why they didn’t give you the job.

Haven’t mentioned this before but my nephew was diagnosed as non verbal  it’s his 4th birthday next month and my partner found what I thought was a brilliant gift idea  it’s a set of flash cards showing emotions and activities  We thought they might help him communicate a little better  do you think it’s an appropriate gift or should I talk to my brother about it?  I could always get him Hey Duggie stuff as that show is like crack to him.

• Paid Members

My manager said there's no doubt I can do the job, but he's worried I'd struggle and get overwhelmed when things were busy. 

25 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

My manager said there's no doubt I can do the job, but he's worried I'd struggle and get overwhelmed when things were busy. 

Well to put it bluntly, he doesn’t think you can do the job in that case and you shouldn’t have to train anyone to do it. 

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Haven’t mentioned this before but my nephew was diagnosed as non verbal  it’s his 4th birthday next month and my partner found what I thought was a brilliant gift idea  it’s a set of flash cards showing emotions and activities  We thought they might help him communicate a little better  do you think it’s an appropriate gift or should I talk to my brother about it?  I could always get him Hey Duggie stuff as that show is like crack to him.

It's really about what his parents feel is appropriate or likely to jive with him. Never be afraid to just give him what seems like the same or similar stuff over and over again. It might seem boring or repetitive to us, but many autistic kids don't see it that way at all. Gift within their comfort zone and then you never have to suffer the indignity of them lobbing it back at you, as I've had numerous times with 13yo!

16 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Anyone else's developed this obsession?

Mine have never been arsed with that, the youngest of the two has been known to switch the washing machine off if she knows that I'm washing something of hers so that I'm fooled into thinking the cycle's done. Works every bloody time as well.

Yes - Our boy is diagnosed level 2 ASD with a learning delay as well as a Chromosome 9 deletion. He's obsessed with washing machines to the extent that we have (on random weekends) visited homeware stores so he can have a wander round and poke buttons.   He loves IKEA because all their little display homes have washing machines in them.  He'll occasionally come to my work at the end of the day (i work in childcare) and he will pop into the laundry room to see whats happening.   Hes also an absolute wizard with LEGO (hes currently working on a supermarket with delivery trucks) as well as cars - he can quote stats, recognise cars at a distance by shape, knows all about engines - weirdly isnt interested with things like Formula 1 or NASCAR etc.  

Its occasionally hard work, we are currently managing his sleep issues and melatonin therapy effects arent really working for him any more.  Plus his proprioceptive sensory issues make home schooling hard as he needs lots of big physical play which he gets at school on the big climbing frames but not so much at home. HIs NDIS (We're in Australia) is thankfully partially funding a Vuly frame for him.