Autism

Nick Soapdish

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It's her usual routine, in fairness, which is why I put her to bed comparatively early. She actually fell asleep earlier last night, so this morning wasn't as tortuous as expected.

This fairly new for me, I think it's a mixture in a change in his routine and it's impossible for me or my wife to stimulate him as much as his nursery, getting a touch older (he is 3 1/2 now) and the lighter nights. 

• Paid Members

@garynysmon and @Hannibal Scorch I know exactly what you mean with the obsessing over things. I so easily disappear "down the rabbit hole" with things. Since I've got the train sim world game I've been watching plenty of videos about both trains and let's play videos of other people playing similar games, I kind of go through phases of watching train and tram videos anyway as they've kind of always been my thing.

With the music thing I have a really particular ear. Sometimes if a version of a song is a rerecordinh or remaster by the same artist I'll pick up a tiny difference and won't be able to listen. Same with covers. Some covers I tend to like but my mum will sometimes get bands on in the pub that do covers and I won't be able to be around while they're on because they won't have learned the song properly. Put your own spin on it, but make sure you're either totally reinventing it or at least play the right chords. 

When I was in a punk covers band at the turn of the century a drummer quit the band because even though I couldn't play the drumsmyself I kept trying to tell them how to play the drum part to the stuff we were learning. I ended up drumming in the band, but it was the best period for us as we had a consistent lineup. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, ElCece said:

This fairly new for me, I think it's a mixture in a change in his routine and it's impossible for me or my wife to stimulate him as much as his nursery, getting a touch older (he is 3 1/2 now) and the lighter nights. 

Mine's 11. The lighter nights have had an effect, certainly, and the clocks going forward didn't help one bit. But I've been fortunate with her in that she's always been a really good sleeper and even if she is unsettled at nights, she tends to keep to herself and fall back to sleep of her own accord. When it comes to autistic kids and sleep, they're either very easy or very difficult when it comes to bedtime stuff, there's no real middle ground.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Mine's 11. The lighter nights have had an effect, certainly, and the clocks going forward didn't help one bit. But I've been fortunate with her in that she's always been a really good sleeper and even if she is unsettled at nights, she tends to keep to herself and fall back to sleep of her own accord. When it comes to autistic kids and sleep, they're either very easy or very difficult when it comes to bedtime stuff, there's no real middle ground.

Yes that's what my experience with speaking to other parents and through work seems to be . He has been a fabulous sleeper so far and I'm hoping it stays that way.

My nephew is autistic as well and his sleep is dreadful when ever I look after him, it must be incredibly difficult to try and manage longterm. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, ElCece said:

Yes that's what my experience with speaking to other parents and through work seems to be . He has been a fabulous sleeper so far and I'm hoping it stays that way.

My nephew is autistic as well and his sleep is dreadful when ever I look after him, it must be incredibly difficult to try and manage longterm. 

I really do sympathise so much with those parents and carers who have a child or children for whom nighttimes are a struggle. Quite often it's not because of a behavioural reason, it's simply because they don't see nighttimes as 'sleep time'. I've read a lot of reports about children on the spectrum who are actually calmer and happier in the middle of the night because it's quieter and the darkness is appealing as opposed to the bright lights of daytime. Not too much of a comfort for those in that position, admittedly, especially when taking schooling into consideration, but I think it's worthy of study as relates to schooling and future flexibility on that front for such children.

• Paid Members

My son is a Terrible sleeper. On Meletonin to get him to sleep. But it’s not sleeping tablets, we give them to him at 8. He’s woken up by 11 to get into bed with my wife. But last night about 10.30, after he’d got into bed and fell asleep he woke up screaming and crying for about 20 minutes. She wasn’t able to comfort him or anything. The he fell asleep and woke up around 6. We bought a new Casper mattress and I’ve slept on it once in the 6 weeks we had it. That was because pre-lockdown he had a night at his Nans. We never sleep together anymore I just sleep in his bed.

• Paid Members
Just now, Hannibal Scorch said:

My son is a Terrible sleeper. On Meletonin to get him to sleep. But it’s not sleeping tablets, we give them to him at 8. He’s woken up by 11 to get into bed with my wife. But last night about 10.30, after he’d got into bed and fell asleep he woke up screaming and crying for about 20 minutes. She wasn’t able to comfort him or anything. The he fell asleep and woke up around 6. We bought a new Casper mattress and I’ve slept on it once in the 6 weeks we had it. That was because pre-lockdown he had a night at his Nans. We never sleep together anymore I just sleep in his bed.

For a while, this was about three years ago now, 11yo had real trouble dropping off to sleep and was in a terrible mood every night. So I just completely changed her routine. I stopped sitting in her room with her until she nodded off, and I gave her quite a big snack before bedtime. I stuck her in her bed, said good night, left the room, and from the first night she was far happier. She hasn't looked back since.

It's just such trial and error with these kids. Eventually something clicks though, but getting there can be demoralising.

• Paid Members

How are our kids doing?

11yo went back to school on Tuesday and had a great week there. Her sleeping subsequently went messy for a couple of days, as expected, but she seems to be back in the routine now. It's going to be cold and piss down this week so I'm grateful she's settled back in because I'm not having the front door open and freezing my tits off.

13yo is still playing Animal Crossing.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

How are our kids doing?

11yo went back to school on Tuesday and had a great week there. Her sleeping subsequently went messy for a couple of days, as expected, but she seems to be back in the routine now. It's going to be cold and piss down this week so I'm grateful she's settled back in because I'm not having the front door open and freezing my tits off.

13yo is still playing Animal Crossing.

Sleep is still an issue with my son. Up between 5 and 6 unfortunately. How were you able to get your back to school? We are worried about getting him back in his usual routine when he’s allowed back because he was really doing well but not sure how he’ll be going back? The school have been good with contact. They have called every week to check up.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Sleep is still an issue with my son. Up between 5 and 6 unfortunately. How were you able to get your back to school? 

I think they set aside a certain number of places for kids of key workers but they weren't all taken, so they handed one to me as they felt 11yo could benefit more than most from a place.

In terms of getting back to routine, what I do is put a lot of visual signs out there that 11yo is going back to school. So I put her uniform for the next day out in front of her, put her school bag in the hallway, little things like that. I don't know if it has an impact, with her being largely non-verbal, but it also doesn't harm.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I think they set aside a certain number of places for kids of key workers but they weren't all taken, so they handed one to me as they felt 11yo could benefit more than most from a place.

In terms of getting back to routine, what I do is put a lot of visual signs out there that 11yo is going back to school. So I put her uniform for the next day out in front of her, put her school bag in the hallway, little things like that. I don't know if it has an impact, with her being largely non-verbal, but it also doesn't harm.

I think the visual clues help. It definitely helped us when he was first going to school. If the bag was near the door, he would be going to school that day. He sometimes would get the bag ready himself which was lovely.

The only positive we have had during the lockdown is he is trying to speak more. Mainly parroting and it is still just odd words. But he can now say Water, Please and Thank You. And a few colours and count to 10. Its been lovely to see.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Pleased you are able to get her into school. My wife and I are both key workers and thought long and hard about putting my son into nursery but felt the change to a new nursery would be more detrimental. That was decided with a shorter lockdown period in mind however. 

• 3 months later...
  • Paid Members

Ok I have now found the right thread, apologies for bumping the other one I wrote all this out and hit post before properly checking the title. 

Hows everyone doing? My son is due back to school after nearly 5 months off. I have no idea how well or how badly it will go. 

Im also fighting the DLA over his mobility case, they have refused it twice and is now awaiting court. I’m hoping with the level of evidence I have presented they will award it without having to attend. Seems a 11 year old with a documented mental age of 3 does not have a mental impairment!?!?!

• 2 months later...