Autism

Nick Soapdish

• Paid Members

Ok struggling a bit now. My sons sleep pattern is now shot to shit. He is up most days at 2am goes back to sleep at 3ish then wide awake at 5. 

I’m completely knackered most days. He’s been doing a good 2 mile walk everyday but it’s not making any difference. I have no idea what else to try with him. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, quote the raven said:

Ok struggling a bit now. My sons sleep pattern is now shot to shit. He is up most days at 2am goes back to sleep at 3ish then wide awake at 5. 

I’m completely knackered most days. He’s been doing a good 2 mile walk everyday but it’s not making any difference. I have no idea what else to try with him. 

mine is up at 5 as well at the moment. Is he on any medication?

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I've got the opposite problem with mine - she doesn't wake up until 10am and I've got to get her up at 7 tomorrow for school and it's going to be some morning.

Is she going to bed at a decent time? We went through  a phase with my boy when he was sleeping 6.30pm-9.00. 

• Paid Members

My sleep is all over the place as well now. It's going to be a nightmare when I can go back to work and have to start getting up at 4 again. 

• Paid Members
On 1/31/2020 at 6:15 PM, Hannibal Scorch said:

One of the things I struggle with is plans. The best example I have is Saturday is the day I normally am at home with the kids while the wife works. She’ll tell me when she’s coming back. If she comes back at a different time then what she told me I find it a massive annoyance when all it means is an extra 30 minutes of family time. But it’s because in my head I’ve worked out what time things are going to happen/be done, and that changes those plans. I know it’s stupid

To be honest I'm the same. I can't cope at all with people cancelling plans willy nilly. If I commit to something, then its happening. The fact that some people have no problems in cancelling something or changing plans at the last minute, for no real good reason, infuriates me much more than it should really.

The Mrs has always been convinced that I'm on the low end of the spectrum too, although not in a way that would affect my social life or work in any way. My Dad has pretty similar traits so it could well be nurture, but my main issue is how I will delve in a bit too deep into a subject for a few days before getting completely sick of it and moving on to something else. 

My (horrendous) musical habits, for example, consist of me hearing a song and listening to it almost ad-nauseum on repeat until I get sick of it, and moving to another one. I won't listen to the album or anything, just a particular song.

Its the same with hobbies. I may not watch any Wrestling at all for a good 3-4 weeks, until something sparks me off and then I'll spend my downtime doing nothing but reading up about wrestling and catching up on podcasts until I get bored, before moving on to something else again, like old World Cups etc. 

I once watched Dances with Wolves and spent a good 2-3 nights just reading up about Native Americans on Wikipedia. It was the same last year when all the Apollo 11 celebrations were going on.

Its never reached the socially awkward stage and doesn't affect my day to day life, having always prioritised going out and doing social stuff. But always wondered if it was just a quirk of my character or something else, not that it particularly matters by now. 

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

I'm incredibly struggling at the moment with isolation after so many weeks and my Aspergers. 

I'm just finding it hard to get any routine going that isn't sitting around the house or going back to bed, it's causing Havoc with my sleep and eat patterns and I'm getting incredibly down as I've worked really hard the last few years to increase my social abilities and its something I pride myself on and now just talking to screens all day is making me wonder if people really can be bothered with me etc. 

I think going from being so busy with school and lessons to now just not having anything (and the universities changing deadline dates and assessment types on the daily it seems right now) is just freezing my brain and I'm struggling to even read books or watch anything that can help my teaching. 

I guess I just needed somewhere to ramble. 

I'm growing an excellent mustache though. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

but my main issue is how I will obsess over something and delve in a bit too deep into a subject for a few days before getting completely sick with it and moving on to something else. 

The first time I realized this was when I was looking to buy a Barbecue. I spent days looking up different companies, different places to buy from, comparing each model before ending up buying one from Asda in the sale. I didn't notice I was doing it, it was my wife

I am doing the same right now with bikes as I want to buy my first bike in about 15 years and it's taken me a good few days, spending a few hours each day, looking and comparing. It drives me nuts, but I cannot help it. 

@Shy Dad sorry to hear that. I have been lucky to be kept working so I have it easier in a lot of ways sticking to a routine of sorts.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, ElCece said:

Is she going to bed at a decent time? We went through  a phase with my boy when he was sleeping 6.30pm-9.00. 

I put her to bed at half 8 and she then proceeds to arse around with her toys for about 4 hours before passing out. She'll realign her sleeping pattern over the next week or so (she's always slept really well) but the next couple of mornings are going to be quite something!

20 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

I'm incredibly struggling at the moment with isolation after so many weeks and my Aspergers.

This may sound as if I am being patronising and I really don't want it to sound like that at all. Have you tried making a time table for the week or even just daily? Something really visual could help keep your routine on a more consistent level. 

I get quite twitchy when my routine changes hugely so I have kept to a fairly standard routine as much as I can.  

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I put her to bed at half 8 and she then proceeds to arse around with her toys for about 4 hours before passing out. She'll realign her sleeping pattern over the next week or so (she's always slept really well) but the next couple of mornings are going to be quite something!

I am going through similar. Happy and larry with his toys but isn't able to fall asleep as he usually would. He still gets up OK in the morning although does prefer a lie in. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Joe Blog said:

This may sound as if I am being patronising and I really don't want it to sound like that at all. Have you tried making a time table for the week or even just daily? Something really visual could help keep your routine on a more consistent level. 

I get quite twitchy when my routine changes hugely so I have kept to a fairly standard routine as much as I can.  

Not patronising at all chap. Sadly yeah, literally had three or four daily schedules I've tried to keep too so far but something keeps messing them up. I can't get myself to go outside at all even for a daily walk as my anxiety issues make me think I'll bump into someone and I really don't want to be near anyone right now. 

The worst part of this for me is that it's not just isolation that's making me bad, it's knowing it'll take weeks at least to get myself back right again once people are allowed out because I'll still be fearful of being around people and having to make a new schedule and I worry people will get pissed off that I'm not making an effort to see them. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, ElCece said:

I am going through similar. Happy and larry with his toys but isn't able to fall asleep as he usually would. He still gets up OK in the morning although does prefer a lie in. 

It's her usual routine, in fairness, which is why I put her to bed comparatively early. She actually fell asleep earlier last night, so this morning wasn't as tortuous as expected.