Raw is 25!

HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

Some of todays front row "Superfans" should tell their faces they are enjoying themselves. Most just sit with faces like smacked arses, giving a bit of a golf clap if someone does something decent. 

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Is there any chance our generation (watched in the 90’s) will be the last one to feel proper wrestling nostalgia?

Have this current generation (10-15 year olds) got anything they can look back at in 10 years time and think that was fucking class/shite, the same way we do?

Is wrestling nostalgia a thing of the past anyway (sigh) what with everything being accessible on the network now, that there won’t be a  proper yearning to relive a Virgil vs Bezerker match because there’s so much access? 

Will the 30th anniversary really be any different, or the 35th to what we got last night depending on who is still alive? It’s always going to be the same lot doing the same cheap pop isn’t it? There surely won’t be the same misplaced fondness for Apollo Crews vs Bo Dallas will there? It’s always going to be his dad who gets the call for a gimmick battle royal.

Or am I being very narrow minded?

Think you're being narrow minded.  It not being as popular these days doesn't matter, because people are nostalgic for the early-mid 90s, because it's what they grew up with.

Some forums, facebook pages, youtube comments are full of people saying "I wish it was as good as it was in 2009 when I started watching it (when I was 10)" etc.

There's going to be eras that get more love, but all generations will have a fondness for the era they grew up with, I'd imagine.  Using Bo Dallas vs. Apollo Crews as an example isn't fair, because no one gives a crap about reliving Mideon vs. Tiger Ali Singh either.

• Paid Members

I think you're just getting old, Kaz. What you probably think of as modern is already deemed nostalgic for younger fans. The Evolution thumbs down moments, the CM Punk pipebomb, Snitsky kicking babies etc. That pipebomb promo was what- 7 years ago? Using that time gap as an example- when I got back into wrestling in 1999 I considered what happened in 1992 as old school and nostalgic.

However I do think the overall product and presentation hasn't changed that much over the past 15 years, certainly not when you look at similar 15 year (or even 10 year) comparisons. 1985 is worlds apart from 2000, likewise 1990 & 2005 and 1995 & 2010. 

• Paid Members

In 10 years time, you'd have Randy Orton showing up to RKO someone for a cheap pop, instead of Austin showing up to hit the Stunner. Cena could be the token legend. Daniel Bryan popping up in comedy backstage skits to do a "YES" chant, and so on.

If you just narrow down any "era" to the greatest hits, there's always going to be something to be nostalgic about. I've spoken to 16-18 year olds over the past couple of years that think of CM Punk's run in WWE as a golden age, the same way a lot of us might look at the Attitude Era.

That said, I think there's a problem with too few midcarders with enough personality - there's no reason, in 10-15 years, you'd want to see a Curtis Axel or Cesaro cameo appearance, whereas with the likes of IRS, Koko B. Ware, Duke Droese, whoever, they've got an obvious, identifiable character that means you can throw them on TV and get a positive response. There's also the fact that roster turnover has been miniscule in the last 10-15 years compared to what came before; so much of the midcard have been there for the better part of a decade with little change, whereas you compare the WWF of, say, 1995 to 1998 to 2005, and the differences are vast.

It also doesn't help that WWE seem intent on telling anyone who'll listen that the Attitude Era was better than today, and that the stars are more important. If they keep making the current guys look like schmucks compared to the old-timers, they can't be surprised when we still think they're schmucks once they become the old-timers.

• Paid Members

All fair enough points and I don’t disagree, thanks for confirming. My brother agrees with you lot, I just wasn’t sure one way or the other.

I still think the network and exposure will make some impact on the desire/fondness of old. The craving will be less so to speak.

I like the idea that Tyler Reks might get the Shango run in spot at Mania 40, so I hope you’re all right.

Dart, in fairness I used Crews vs Bo as an example due to using Virgil vs Bezerker for the older generation example. I think it was fair. I think the IRS point was also valid and without using Bo, I couldn’t have used the IRS anecdote. So you know... I’ll concede.

I'm not saying this is perfect or anything, but I'm going to stick my neck out and say she gets attacked by both of the three women heel groups and either doesn't even make it to the match at all or she comes out battered, tries to put up a fight only to be eliminated by however many are in the match. The only way that anyone can take out Asuka is to have everyone gang up on her

I'm plumping for Nia. They've built the Nia and Alexa friendship thing and Nia's never really had her proper shot. Nia, with Alexa sucking up to her next few months trying to get her to take the SmackDown title shot is my pick. Then the inevitable Batista moment.

Nia can also believably dump Asuka out before the inevitable showdown for the title.

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Oh god it's going to be Stephanie isn't it? Regardless though it will all revolve around her.

My non-wrestling friend asked who else would be in the Rumble when I mentioned that they're having a 30-woman rumble and only have 18 women on the main roster. He asked whether we'd see Trish, Brooke Hogan (!) or Stephanie in it. I replied with 'very likely, no, don't think so'. My 'don't think so' was based on her campaigning the whole women's evolution and therefore she wouldn't want to take any of the limelight from the girls. Then I remember that we're talking about Stephanie, and even her winning it is even a fucking possibility to massage her ego. I hope she does the right thing and steers clear of it though, unless she goes in there to have her ass handed to her by everyone, but I don't see that happening.

• Paid Members

Cant stress how much I hated that DX segment. Fin Balor has to be the shittest character of the last few years. He looks like a swimmer who is pleased Sharon Davis walked past. Big fucking grin on his face every second of the day. I know we as wrestling fans have to accept that things are ridiculous, but DX has to be the most stupid looking people ever to someone not familiar with wrestling. Billy Gunn in his belly shirt, Old Man Chin Music with that daft hair, X-Pac looking like a infected rat boy in a Braun Strowman wig. It's like watching Still Open All Hours, when they try and write a storyline where Granville gets his leg over.

Now contrast this with Steve Austin, who is as old as the lot of them. He pisses on everyone. His charisma is off the charts, he was the total star of the show. And all it was is the same stuff he does everytime he shows up. 20 years later, it still hasnt changed. DX thinks they're the stars, but in reality that's not the case. Austin is the man.

Archived