Raw is 25!

HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

Thought I was being miserly thinking that was all a bit underwhelming. That they couldn't think of anything to do with the ex-GMs and women but line them up was disappointing. The APA stuff showed they don't know how to write funny anymore. The DX stuff was pretty much what I expected and Austin stunning Vince is reunion 101. Otherwise all a bit dull.

Easy to forget how old some of these people are now and it didn't half show on some. Torrie Wilson though. She looked better than ever.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Usually WWE manage to avoid critical maulings, mainly through a combination of a low bar and all the critics who care being marks, but Jesus the response to this has been bad.

What amazes me is how willing they seem to be to set themselves up for a fall. The hype for this would have made it near impossible to feel good value, save for a resurrected Eddie winning the tag titles with CM Punk. And it’s not the first time they’ve pulled this high-risk shit either. They deserve to finally get called on it.

As ol’nan used to say: “if you ain’t got the shaft, don’t threaten the shag!”

....Nan never used to say that. She should have, though.

• Paid Members

Funny thing about this show is that it would have had a lot of people just tuning in who don't normally watch. And they did little to hook them or make them want to see the Rumble. Their "guy" jobbed for fuck sake. Only Elias looked like a star. The overrun might have interested people. Though Strowman, their other decent creation recently got smashed.

• Paid Members

It’s early days yet, but between this show and that Survivor Series main event, I worry about the Rumble and Mania. Each time there are these big events, that seem impossible to screw up, they somehow manage to reach new levels in how tone  deaf they can be. That whole DX renunion was just RAW 1000 again, only shitter. 

But yeah, Torrie Wilson. I don’t even remember her being that attractive in her prime.

The "big events" have become such a mess in recent years since they have gone to 4 hours (6 with the preshow!) It's hard to look forward to them anymore.

Wrestlemania you need a week to watch it, it's ridiculous. It should be about putting on the best 9/10 matches you have available to you in 3 1/2-4 hours, not a day long event where you have to get everyone on the card.

• Paid Members

Worst of all, if your entire show is just going to be parading guys from the past, the least you should do is not release an extensive list of everyone who’s going to appear a week earlier. There wasn’t even the intrigue of “who’s going to make a pointless cameo next?” It was literally a tick box, where you’d go, “Chris Jericho, Dudleys and Scott Hall are still to come.”

Just woke up on the back of 5 hours sleep after staying up to watch that shitfest, first time in five years I’d done it purely cos it was supposed to be a big show, will be going back to just Youtubeing everything from now on

They should have flipped the show around and had the Austin/McMahons segment be the closer to do a beer bash celebration, save the Lesnar/Braun/Kane stuff for an hour topper and opened with the IC title match

The thing that irritated me most was the wasted cameos, you had Fink introduce Taker and nothing else, MVP, Jeff Hardy, The Usos, Natalya and New Day on the poker game, all the people on the two parade segments outside of Bryan facing up to Miz, Jericho on the backstage bit with Elias and so on

I just can’t understand why they fell off the cliff so much, the last Anniversary show they’ve seemingly got spot on was Raw 1000 and that was nearly 6 years ago

• Paid Members

I'm just livid I woke up earlier for that. I guess it's my fault for thinking a show of Raw 1000's quality was in the works. This show highlighted how little I could give a care about most of what the current roster are up to. Even Brock Lesnar seems to be feeling the weight of their mediocrity, these days.

Thing is, I thought the show started out great, with Vince being a goofy bastard, leading to Stone Cold arriving. That segment was a bit "play your hits", but the crowd were into it and Vince was brilliant throughout.

Pretty much from that moment on it turned into another Raw, with them occasionally going to the other venue for nonsense and going "look its...".

It's worrying, because nostalgia is so easy to pull off in wrestling and WWE used to be boss at it, but this was so boring.

The Raw 1000 episode is worth a comparison, because after that show we were all buzzing about how we love wrestling and, more importantly, they did a fantastic job setting the table for the coming months with CM Punk v John Cena and CM Punk turning heel on The Rock - again exposing how little you give a care about the current roster. Where as Raw 1000 felt like a carefully crafted combination of nostalgia and future stories, this was a bit "how are we going to fill these three hours?". With a shite poker game, it turns out.

• Paid Members

Is it right the tickets for the Manhattan Centre were eye wateringly expensive? 

I watched the show live last night for the first time in ages as I'm struggling with my depression and anxiety and can't sleep, and couldn't believe how little they used the brilliantly nostalgic Manhattan Centre. Why not alternate where the matches were held if they wanted to run both venues. 

Can see it coming back to bite them on the arse as it would be a PR nightmare if they were inundated with refund requests...

Well, that was underwhelming. Entertaining, but underwhelming.

The best parts of the show were the opening and the IC title match. The first segment was brilliant because of Vince being a crazy old cranky bastard. It looks like he isn't even playing a character at this point. Reigns vs Miz proved you don't need a thousand moves and near-falls to make a match compelling. Just simple stuff done to perfection.

Everything else was just there for the sake of being there. Pure nostalgia with little to no story line progression.

"25 Years." "A lot has happened." "It's because of you." Rinse, repeat.

If you like hollow "moments" and empty platitudes, this Raw was for you. Everything that could be said mostly has been, but this to me was the very definition of chickens coming home to roost, with the reverting to the past to try and impact the audience in lieu of creating genuine stars. They had absolutely nothing for anybody to do, and almost everybody felt like "Yep, there's that person they told us would be here, standing there". The fact I saw people marking out for that DX/Club garbage says it all. Best part of the entire angle was the fans chanting "1-2-3" at Waltman. Austin and Vince were great because they always are, but why they don't give Steve Austin a microphone is beyond me. Heath Slater got more TV time than Chris Jericho. Undertaker came out looking like a Bludgeon Brother and said absolutely nothing. While they had little to work with, I don't think JR and King have ever had a worse night together.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

• Paid Members

Complete shambles. Liam got it spot-on.

Imagine having the roster WWE have, with the litany of guest stars they had available to them, with the prestige of your 25th anniversary show, and not being able to come up with anything better than trotting out a group of vaguely connected people to wave to the audience. Not even an old-timer Battle Royal, which is about the easiest, most obvious bit of booking imaginable.

The only positive I would say is that, with the exception of the Heath Slaters of the world, nobody on the main roster was used as fodder for a nostalgia pop, no old-timers were put over full-timers. But I'd almost have preferred it the other way around if it meant they'd have actually bloody done anything.

The Austin/McMahon stuff was fine, and probably necessary to acknowledge, but either because I've never really bought into that as the biggest, best, most important feud of all time or the "beat up your boss" wish fulfilment angle, or because it's just been played for laughs and nostalgia plenty of times over the years, it didn't feel special. It feels like a waste of a star like Steve Austin to just trot him out to go through the greatest hits, and adds nothing to the product today.

A real pet hate of mine in WWE is DX. It's hardly an uncommon opinion to say that DX reunions are the shits, but I hate how Triple H can be a manipulative, evil corporate suit one week, then just change his T-shirt and it makes him a gimmicky babyface. So fucking lazy.

Archived