Raw is 25!

HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

It’ll never happen, but I am intrigued by the idea of a wild outsider winning the Rumble one year, not only to get over the unpredictability of it, but also to strap a rocket to someone new. Similar to how Brock came in and immediately won King of the Ring before getting the title shot at Summerslam 2002. 

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Supremo said:

It’ll never happen, but I am intrigued by the idea of a wild outsider winning the Rumble one year, not only to get over the unpredictability of it, but also to strap a rocket to someone new. Similar to how Brock came in and immediately won King of the Ring before getting the title shot at Summerslam 2002. 

Couldn't agree more. WWE is so flat that it desperately needs something like this to happen. The past few Rumbles have been shite, a shame as there was a run of cracking Rumbles/Wrestlemania builds before that. I can't see what they'd have to lose either. No current main eventer's gonna lose anything by not winning. Giving the win to somebody totally out of left field would at least go some length to redeeming themselves for the bland, forgettable TV they've given us since they launched the Network.

I, for one, am pre-disappointed that this won't happen. I wonder if they will bleed Dunne into 205 with a view perhaps maining him later in the year. If only for the logic "Well he calls himself the Bruiserweight, stick him in 205 to fill the gap"

Yeah, this was pretty shit considering the hype. Just a whole show of ''look who it is'' basically. I don't actually get excited about these older guys coming back anymore because they never even do anything. The Manhattan Centre show was a colossal waste of time.

• Paid Members

I was looking forward to watching this show. I haven't watched an episode of Raw in months and months but, given the roster of old timers and the fact it was the Rumble go home show, I figured it'd be good. It, of course, was shite. The only bright spot was Austin. God damn, Austin doesn't really look any older than he did in 1998. He looks fit and healthy. And he oozes charisma. He's never going to do another match, is he? Shame. 

Also, the Rumble is in Philly? And from what I've been reading, 'The Plan' is for Roman to be crowned (how many times now?) at Mania against Lesnar? Therefore Roman is probably winning the Rumble? In Philly? 

• Paid Members

I don't think Reigns is winning the Rumble - them having two belts now means there's two different routes Reigns can take to the title shot, and (in spite of plenty of evidence to the contrary) I actually don't think they're daft enough to have Roman go over at the Rumble again.

For all the talk of Reigns as being shoved down people's throats and getting pushed to the moon, the last year or so they've booked him to lose way more often than anyone in his position ordinarily would - losing to Miz on RAW this week, to the Club last week, to Strowman multiple times, to Samoa Joe, in multi-man matches at Summerslam and Extreme Rules, and that's all just within the last year. Compare that to Cena, Austin or Hogan when they were in Reigns' position.

They know that there's criticism of Reigns going over all the time, and they've been trying to fight that - but the whole "wins and losses don't matter" mentality (largely their own fault) means that people don't really remember the times he loses. But I don't think they'll have him go over at the Rumble - he can always find another way into the Wrestlemania main event, while giving an internet darling from Smackdown the Rumble win.

There being two titles really does mean they should try a complete out of nowhere winner for the Rumble one year, though, now it's not a guarantee of the Wrestlemania main event. Someone like Dunne winning it and fighting AJ, even just in the opening match of Wrestlemania, would do a better job of creating an "anything can happen" atmosphere than anything they've done in years. And the Rumble's a special match, in that while it can elevate someone who needs it in an instant, no one really loses any credibility by not winning the thing.

Spot on there as usual, Pat. However reading that has made me think seeing Reigns win in Philly would be worth it for the reaction. It'd be like 70's Puerto Rico. I'd rather it be a complete surprise winner this year as I mentioned before, but if they're going the safe route and giving it to someone they've already tried pushing, I'd rather them give Reigns the win. Especially if the last two were Reigns against someone people really wanted to win. 

51 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I actually don't think they're daft enough to have Roman go over at the Rumble again.

Whoa, c'mon Pat, you are pretty much the smartest lad on here but????

This is a company that has been steadfast in it's ignorance to the boo's of Reigns for 3 years, every few months we see an act get over and them fail so miserably to capitalise on it, look at the steam Rusev and the whole Rusev day thing has lost in the last month or two. They have no idea how to take the proverbial ball and run with it, with neither faces or heels. I am convinced in my mind that Vince see's no issue with Roman winning this Rumble, and the Yes men around him whilst decrying behind his back won't say a word.

Reigns/Cena to me seem the favourites to win the Rumble but does come across boring in that its the same two. Cena/Styles could happen for Cena to have a chance to break the title winning record or you could have Undertaker win the belt somewhere and Cena face him (if Undertaker is not retired).

Strowman I think will face Triple H based on Survivor Series. 

Nakamura can face Styles without the belt on the line.

Reigns/Brock for the Raw title.

The only other curveball they could do is have Jason Jordan win the Rumble with Angles help and then have Jason Jordan defect to Smackdown to take on Styles. 

Would be good to see them try something different. I would have loved Strowman to win the Rumble but he is in the title match, although knowing WWE they will do what they did the other year and have Triple H cost him right at the end. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Ambulance Chaser said:

Whoa, c'mon Pat, you are pretty much the smartest lad on here but????

This is a company that has been steadfast in it's ignorance to the boo's of Reigns for 3 years, every few months we see an act get over and them fail so miserably to capitalise on it, look at the steam Rusev and the whole Rusev day thing has lost in the last month or two. They have no idea how to take the proverbial ball and run with it, with neither faces or heels. I am convinced in my mind that Vince see's no issue with Roman winning this Rumble, and the Yes men around him whilst decrying behind his back won't say a word.

Ha, this is exactly why I said "despite all the evidence to the contrary". It seems like a ridiculous opinion for me to have, for all of those reasons. But I honestly don't see them doing it, especially with Elimination Chamber being a RAW pay-per-view - I doubt Brock's working that show, so they need a reason for a Chamber match, and it'll most likely be a number one contendership match for the Universal Title match at Wrestlemania, which means a Smackdown guy has to win the Rumble.

I honestly think that they've spent the last year doing all they can to rebuild Reigns in front of the "smart" fans while retaining his position to the "casuals"; he's still enough of a top guy that he won't lose any legitimacy with the kids and whatnot, but he's spent a lot of time away from the main event scene, and jobbed way more than someone in his spot would be expected to, and that all strikes me as a concerted effort to try and diminish the idea of him as the over-pushed chosen one. And, obviously, the Shield reunion, as much of a damp squib as it's been, has been put in place to try and win him back some cheers. The problem is that wrestling fans are a stubborn bunch, and when we decide we don't like someone, that can take a lot of effort to shift.

As for the likes of Rusev who get over and then aren't capitalised on - 'twas ever thus. Vince's booking has always been to build up a monster heel to take on the top babyface, then shuffle them down to the midcard once that's done. Rusev only really ever existed to be built up strongly enough to lose to Cena afterwards. It's King Kong Bundy's fall from grace after Wrestlemania 2, Umaga and Khali as title contenders against Cena, and so on. There have been exceptions, and it's frustrating when it's a guy you think deserves better, but it's just how they do business, and more or less always have.

• Paid Members

I can't see them being as stupid as to have Reigns win the Rumble in Philly again after the last time he did, but if he puts in a strong performance like he did the year before where the fans were baying for him to win then maybe they could try and redeem him a little more. The flipside of that is people would then see it as guys being "fed to Roman" as part of the plan.

If Raw is doing HIAC then as has already been said here it'd make sense for a Smackdown guy to win. Apparently the bookies' favourite is Nakamura for the inevitable NAkamura/Styles "main event" at Mania, but we know the last match on will be Brock & Roman.

Archived