Raw is 25!

HarmonicGenerator

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Fuck it, have Reigns win the bastard thing, and stop catering to the nonsense. I personally don't think he will win it, but I would do it. 

I'm not on board with this idea of a random guy showing up to win it at all, unless that person is going to be the company's chosen next top monster heel/next version of Cena, or else a suprise returning star. Having Pete Dunne show up, win the Rumble and face AJ for the belt on the pre-show? No thanks. The Rumble gimmick isn't too far gone in order to restore it to full glory, but the more times the winner end's up NOT being in the main event at Mania, and opening the card, the Rumble gets weaker and less important, in my view. 

• Paid Members

I remember the pop when Tripper eliminated Reigns when he won the Rumble. that Rumble was pretty terrible.

• Paid Members

He got a pop for taking out Reigns as the crowd were pulling for Ambrose to win and I guess they were hoping for Trips to get some heat by eliminating Ambrose.

• Paid Members

As someone who doesn't watch the current product at all but watched Raw 25 to see the proper stars ( ;) ) again, the booing of Roman Reigns comes across as very Cena-esque to me.

The chorus of boos when he came out just sounds a little too forced, in that there's nothing organic about it. It all sounds very, "Oh, look at me, I'm booing Roman Reigns" rather than any genuine hatred.

I didn't understand it with Cena and I don't understand it now. Basically you're at a wrestling show, watching men in underpants pretending to fight.  You're not going to be cool no matter what you do.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

The chorus of boos when he came out just sounds a little too forced, in that there's nothing organic about it. It all sounds very, "Oh, look at me, I'm booing Roman Reigns" rather than any genuine hatred.

This is very much how I see it. The hatred of Reigns basically came about because he wasn't Daniel Bryan, and while there was genuine cause for complaint in a few areas when he first got his singles push (awful promos, etc.), I think most of that is in the past, but people are stubborn.

I remember, specifically, a Reigns vs. Styles match, where they were chanting "you can't wrestle" at Reigns, and he busts out some move he never normally uses, gets a pop, and then they start chanting something like "we still don't like you". Even when he's actively proving his doubters wrong, they'll still turn on him.

I'm not sure what the solution is - because it's not just Reigns, it's this smug sense of entitlement that so many WWE fans have, that means they expect to be pandered and catered to at all turns. I place some of the blame on the booking of Daniel Bryan and CM Punk, that basically was built around telling the crowd that whoever the company chooses as champion is a corporate product, but if you cheer for someone else loudly enough they'll get given the Wrestlemania main event instead. It's left WWE in the position where anyone they push as the top guy is going to be viewed as a corporate product, and rejected outright.

The other thing worth bearing in mind is just how expensive tickets to WWE TV tapings and PPVs are. What that means is that the people who make it to TV are either wealthy enough, or enough of a die-hard fan, to have committed to going to that show - and the die-hard fans are more likely to be the "smarter" fan, that's more likely to cheer the indie darlings and boo Roman Reigns. It gives this false impression that the majority of the overall audience are rejecting him, which isn't the case.

The reigns Booing and hate to appear cool and be the same as every other tv crowd by neck beard virgins is a large part of why I hardly watch any wwe. Being in a pub in Glasgow when survivor series 16 was on, and the crowd booed the tv was one of the most cringey moments I have had as a fan. 

• Paid Members

read something online about Raw 25 being changed drastically last minute because Jimmy Fallon was running late and he was set to feature in several of the segments. Any truth to that? the source was one of those dodgy click bait type sites so im unsure.

Well according to the ad that just played on the network...the 25th anniversary is next week. So maybe this was a dress rehearsal? Or just another piece of proof, few people give a fuck anymore.

EDIT: I'm aware it was a segment bumper in the top moments show, but still...no one thought that shouldn't be there?

Archived