NWA is the best.

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Did Cornette talk about the Dawsons like that because they haven't established first names yet? I don't think they called them as anything other than Dawson & Dawson when they actually wrestled in the first episode. Henceforth, until they are given first names by the NWA, they'll be named in tribute to the greatest brother act: Paul & Barry. 

See, I'd named them "Les & Rosario" in my mind.

• Paid Members

Another great episode. Damien Sandow was really good, I think he fits into the style well.

It's going to lose a bit for me when it starts to be the same people every week. It was cool seeing Ken Anderson and Colt Cabana but it would be really cool if we didn't see them again for 6 weeks, or if they did a 3 month run and then we don't see them for a year. I'd love it if it was booked more like the territories or Indies like that, with a roster of regulars but people dropping in and out all the time. Dunno if it would be fair or feasible though.

I like the Women's champ, I don't know her but she does a good enough job of carrying herself like a champion that I can buy into her being the one to beat. Women's wrestling goes well with the retro style, looking forward to seeing who turns up.

• Paid Members

I don't know if the novelty value will wear off, but god this is such a palate cleanser from the WWE and AEW style of shows.

Power(rr?) feels more compact, immediate and deliberate and I love the format. It's simple, but without being patronising. There seems to be a logic to everything and the set up means the crowd is hot for everything.

It's a really small thing, but not having music for anyone feels so unique in this era, and it means all you get in audio terms is the reaction from the audience which in turn makes everyone seem like a big deal. 

So far, NWA is far above anything else in terms of my weekly watching priorities now. A breath of fresh air. 

• Paid Members

It's such an easy watch, and goes by so quickly. Everything seems to make sense as well. Yes it was predictable when Jocephus was out calling for "Storm" after they spoke about Tim and getting an audience with James in episode 1, but it was well executed, and combined with a crowd reacting to the action rather than trying to get themselves over made it feel more organic. Then when they brawled out into the studio during that interview and had the impromptu match later it felt great too. I just hope when they do decide to go into an arena it's a smaller one with "proper fans" rather than a "modern wrestling crowd" who sit on their hands and only pop for a big move regardless of who does it. 

Do we know if the NWA and AEW will continue to have any interactions?  I know Cody wrestled for the NWA title on one of their early PPV shows.  It strikes me that the odd crossover moment or match between the two companies every year, in the manner of the old NWA territories, would be fantastically interesting.

Tim Storm v Jericho for example.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Loki said:

Do we know if the NWA and AEW will continue to have any interactions?  I know Cody wrestled for the NWA title on one of their early PPV shows.  It strikes me that the odd crossover moment or match between the two companies every year, in the manner of the old NWA territories, would be fantastically interesting.

Tim Storm v Jericho for example.

The NWA In to the Fire PPV is on Fite, not that it indicates any form of crossover, but at least they aren’t on opposing platforms etc.

I’d be happy enough with that, providing thar it remains a 100% NWA show. Maybe a x-over like WCW & NJPW supershow could work, but I personally like the idea of NWA being NWA and not being an extension of AEW.

• Paid Members

I forgot to mention how much I bloody love the intro for this show. AEW have joined WWE in going down the barely distinguishable faux-metal shit route for their intro. This has a beautiful track with a real mid-80s feel (for obvious reasons).

42 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I forgot to mention how much I bloody love the intro for this show. AEW have joined WWE in going down the barely distinguishable faux-metal shit route for their intro. This has a beautiful track with a real mid-80s feel (for obvious reasons).

I’m with you on this. 80s nostalgia is very ‘in’ right now which weirdly makes this feel far more relevant than ‘metal’ music. I’d love to see wrestling move on from that sound. 

Watched the 1st episode. Great layout, little interview segments with Dave Marquez let me know who people are (ones I have previously seen have changed) and a compact form. The commentary is decent. I just can't believe I'm interested in a 54 year old (who looks great to be fair), Aldis and Drake. 

This is essentially what wos could have been had they known how to introduce characters and work the studio format. 

Edited by westlondonmist

• Paid Members

Dave Marquez is brilliantly cast in his role. He's exactly the type of interviewer I've been dying for WWE to use for years instead of the mannekins they put in those spots. Marquez has great expressions and a personality which enables him to bounce back and forth with the wrestlers. He cracked me up during the Aron Stevens interview when he was looking up and around at the lights after Aron instructed him not to make eye contact.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Dave Marquez is brilliantly cast in his role. He's exactly the type of interviewer I've been dying for WWE to use for years instead of the mannekins they put in those spots. Marquez has great expressions and a personality which enables him to bounce back and forth with the wrestlers. He cracked me up during the Aron Stevens interview when he was looking up and around at the lights after Aron instructed him not to make eye contact.

He’s got an absolutely perfect voice for it too.