NWA is the best.

IANdrewDiceClay

11 hours ago, uklaw said:

https://www.postwrestling.com/2019/10/13/the-post-interview-nwa-vice-president-david-lagana/

Brief interview with David Lagana on the build up to the Powerrr tapings.

Minor spoilers included but it answers the question regarding what these tapings are initially building towards. (Though I was sure it was already public knowledge)

For those of us unable to listen, could you perhaps tell us what the tapings are initially building towards?

Their social media presence has been decent on this too, with Lagana and some of the crew interacting with fans who have watched it etc. It's small things like that that work well to build a good fanbase. I remember when TNA were very loyal to the UK market and did a lot more here than WWE ever did. Sure the product wasn't exactly spectacular but it was nice to get that treatment from a bigger company. It'll be interesting to see how NWA do going forward.

• Paid Members

Given the model, you want the big show to make money at the gate as well as on PPV so it would need to be in an arena. That brings it's own risks, especially if this is essentially a loss leader to pilot for TV.

Would love it to be a success, I really want to see what they can do with this format. I already can't wait for Tuesday night.

• Paid Members

Given the authenticity of the studio show that Corgan has gone for, I'd say it's pretty fair to assume he's going for the traditional model of studio TV to build to PPV arena shows. 

I'm finding all this fascinating; Corgan isn't a multi-billionaire like the Khans, but he has enough money, connections, and promotional know-how to make the NWA a valid third competitor. I really enjoyed the first episode of Powerrr, so I'm immensely looking forward to seeing how it continues. Oddly, I didn't have too much of a problem with Aldis, even his version of Flair's promo talking about how he makes his living from professional wrestling, and how Storm wouldn't take it away from him, etc. In-ring, he still doesn't do much for me, and the "National Treasure" gimmick still makes no sense as to how he's playing it, but he's not the worst I've ever seen. Loved Tim Storm's outing, though. Really put himself across well, and looks tremendous for a guy in his 50s.

I would have reached the same conclusion regarding the venue, but the Pay Per View is December 14th, and I believe there is a 3 day block of tapings from the studio on 14th-16th December.

I’d have to watch the show again... not that I mind, of course 😊

• Paid Members

I loved Jocephus causing trouble the whole show and calling out James Storm only to get squashed by him, it was as perfect a classic wrestling angle for the retro show as the title match was.

With the popularity of GLOW they could have a great colourful retro women's division, I'm sure some guys would hate it but it's what I'd do if I were Billy.

• Paid Members

Very strong episode this week. I have no idea what Tony Falk’s Waffles and Tire Irons was about but I was almost in tears laughing at it. I have no issue with these Tim and Eric style wrestling infomercials.

Overall quality of wrestling was much higher this week. I feel like the Women surpassed expectations with Allyson Kaye looking particularly good, cracking finisher/pin combo. Trevor Murdoch as some fat hoss fits right in, and Ricky Starks will go places I think. 

Aldis is a great champ, and the fact they’re constantly reflecting and building even when some people don’t feature is great.

Only complaint this week is a few nobheads in the crowd.

The hour format is just enough, and the short matches/plenty of character work/interviews suits me fine. This is easily my favourite wrestling show now. 

Man I love Trevor Murdoch! Big belly bastard who wants to fight. And his opponent Ricky Starks was very charismatic in his post fight interview.

I want some Tony Falk waffles!

Another solid show! Everyone on the show looks like they are having fun and it's quite contagious as a viewer.