NWA is the best.

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Thought this was a great presentation again. Didn't love all the action but adore the format. The promos were very good with few exceptions and they mixed it up to avoid too much repetition of that format with some backstage and some off site. The Kingston one particularly, with it's lack of control and literal lack of focus felt completely different. 

I read about Aron Stevens in the spoilers and had no idea who he was. Dunno if that says more about him or me. He's the former Damien Sandow for anyone who doesn't know. He held the crowd like a pro. Fun interview. 

Enjoyed the opener. Always been a big fan of Murdoch. He's in horrendous shape but it sort of works here. The other kid is the epitome of indy albeit with a good body and some charisma. Felt like the early days of TNA when they were trying to make their guys from the Elvises and such.

By the Cabana interview, I'm already sick of this same promo and we've still got James Storm to come. The world title should be the focus of the promotion and they do a great job of making sure there's is but they've got everyone talking about going after titles and they're all naming all of them. It loses any sense of hierarchy. Especially when James Storm then comes out and dismisses his own belt only for Eli Drake to pretty much defend its worth. Baffling stuff. Great delivery but indyriffic content, sadly.

Don't love Cabana or Anderson/Kennedy but they were fun here and during the match. Cabana's style is perfect for this set up and it was interesting to watch them work the crowd and not the hard cam like other promotions. A jobber called Sal is traditional 101.

That Tony Falk "commercial" was absolutely gold. I've still no idea if the Austin Idol one is genuine but this was 100% hoke and I loved it. I hope they've got more lined up. Ricky and Robert's rat catching. Tommy Rich's sausage factory. Ric Flair: wedding planner.

Women's match was a good showcase. Kay has her character down and Vox was a good foil. 

Nice hook for next week with the Tim Storm interview. They did a great job throughout of recapping last week's show and it felt big.

Eddie Kingston can talk his arse off but he looks like shit. Especially when he's opposite a guy as cut as Bram. Loved the commentary being all about these street brawlers from thug neighbourhoods and Bram and Kingston have a series of lock ups and reversals. Solid TV stuff with a none finish although those Dawson fellas also look like shit. Cornette pretending he couldn't tell them apart when they look nothing alike was another weird one.

The closing interview was very well done. They built it throughout the show and the premise that the world champion just speaking is a main event is very clever. Aldis was very good here, full credit to him. Only criticism was that earlier footage of Aldis getting into his car. Liked the interview in a different location, as mentioned, and it was also clever as a hook for the promo but Aldis's outrage didn't actually fit the end result. Minor nitpick. This was really good.

I'd like to see a bit more focus on the hierarchy. Who is next in line for the World title. Or if the National championship is the gateway, who is in line for that. That was all messy. They've got this crew of guys with decent previous exposure and they're all just sort if there at the moment and all talking about the same stuff. Needs to work itself out.

7 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

Didn't know this was out yet, but love me some Tony Falk. 

Driver Tony FTW

I once met Tony Falk when he was running his promotion in Nashville in 2007!

They were running a show in a hotel that had bullet proof glass at reception and as it was in the middle of nowhere I didn't stick around long. However I did walk in the main hall where the ring was set up and he was there preparing and said hello. Used to love him on Memphis Power Pro wrestling so it was a treat to actually meet him

• Paid Members

I think Kingston "looking like shit" has always held him back, but for me has been part of the charm. Kingston feels a real human being, and a real fighter, in a way very few indie guys do, and his look leans into that. He's one of the few I'd actually encourage wrestling in street clothes rather than his ring gear, though.

• Paid Members

Really enjoying the output so far. Basic, solid, and at worst nothing offensively bad. Even the jobbers were selling properly. That Ricky Starks seems like a bit of a cut-and-paste blue-chipper, busting out lines that he's clearly been working on and hoping will get over, but at least he delivers them with some panache. Love to see Trevor Murdoch again, every promotion needs someone like him. Not so bothered about the Wild Cards (I'm surprised Bram managed to cancel ALL 18 of his contracts to get to the NWA), and whilst Kingston is a great promo, nothing about Outlaw Inc. (about as generic a tag-team name as you'll get) really stands out for me. The Dawsons are quite meh as well. But, again: nothing offensively bad. They had a good match, and sold the prospect of a three-way tag pretty well.

I'm really quite surprised as to how shit I'm not finding Nick Aldis now. He's still not great, and I think he needed and still needs a lot of work before even being put in the main event, let alone getting the belt, but he's carrying himself quite well, and I can realistically buy him as a JBL-style heel champ who doesn't really deserve the belt.

Don't know what they're going for with James Storm. Was a blue-eye last week, now he's behaving like a villain. Same with Eli Drake. Cabanderson were fun, although the simple fact that Cabana was World Champ and was able to talk about getting the championship back highlighted something to me: if and when the NWA gets to the level of respectability and exposure that Corgan wants it to have, there's going to be a lot of dross and undeserving holders of "Sweet Charlotte" that will end up making it look small-time if they keep making reference to previous champs. Does anyone buy Cabana as a main-eventer? I certainly don't. Think Corgan should just erase a load of people off the list, to be honest.

Just got to hope they don't bring back The Sheik.

Conflicted really.  Still loving the format, and some of this was great, but other bits fell flat.  Unlike everyone else apparently, I thought the women's match was pretty awful. And the 80s retro ads will get annoying quickly - as a nod to the history of the format, great, but long term they need to let those die.  This show, and the NWA need to be able to stand as a modern product, and not Southpaw Wrestling but with matches.

The promos at the table are just brilliant though, so refreshing to hear pro wrestlers clearly able to just cut their own style, everyone feels like an individual and feuds feel dynamic.

The big fella from the Wildcards has all the tools.  He was in TNA previously, is that right?

Edit: oh yeah, I asked for Mr Anderson and they delivered, and now I'm not so sure.  He doesn't look in great shape, and his schtick can get old quick.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members

Again it was a lot of fun. Pacey, the guys that need showcasing get showcased and we appear to have a PPV to build to. Holding it in the studio is a safe idea as they k ow the kind of fans they're going to get, unless they're going to change the set for more of an arena feel for it. Better a packed studio than a half empty arena. Maybe when they m ow they have a bigger fan base, and hopefully don't have dem wans to shit on the product they'll start putting on shows in different venues., 

18 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

I don’t get the “this is like Southpaw” people. Southpaw is a parody of this exact style, not the other way around.

Parody being the key word.  When Powerrr does parody bits, like the fun ads, then it's parodying the style, not emulating it.  And that's my point - as fun as that is, the product will have longevity by moving away from that and finding its own voice.

• Paid Members

Thoroughly enjoyed that again, really couldn't fault it.

Thought Aron Stevens came across pretty well, he's always been a good promo. The Trevor Murdoch match showed what a decent hand he's always been in the ring, not bad at all.

Could have done without Ken shitty Anderson and Colt Cabana turning up, but if the latter behaves himself and actually wrestles proper matches, like he did those years ago against Adam Pearce, he can be an asset. Good on Cornette mostly holding his tongue too. It was an ok match though, in fairness.

The women's match was also pretty good, I thought, although I'm surprised NWA haven't made more of the fact they signed Zendaya. She looked pretty good against Allysin Kay.

The tag title match was alright too and I'm happier seeing Eddie Kingston wrestle than listen to him droning on about the fucking streets in his boring promos. Good old fashioned run-in as well, quality.

Bring on the next one!

• Paid Members

Best on screen wrestling show for me, at present. Great 2nd episode.

MOTN: I think the woman’s match was arguably the best match of the night. 

Stevens promo was great, can’t wait to see him go at it. I think NWA will suit his flower, methodical in ring style to a T.

I popped for Murdock. I’ve always loved the big lummocks. I assumed he would have won. I’d like to see him go for the National title at some point.

Have no idea why James Storm shit over his own belt. It’s the only fault I can pick from the first 2 shows. 

• Paid Members

I guess the Storm promo was meant to explain the hierarchy of the titles, but he delivered it badly. Storm Vs Aldis could be a bit of a clunker. 

Did Cornette talk about the Dawsons like that because they haven't established first names yet? I don't think they called them as anything other than Dawson & Dawson when they actually wrestled in the first episode. Henceforth, until they are given first names by the NWA, they'll be named in tribute to the greatest brother act: Paul & Barry.