It's today then ... (Trump thread)

mikehoncho

• Moderators

I mean. We have them here and they work fine. You're on the electoral roll, you fill out your ballot, you sign it, seal it and send it in. What do you think is the flaw in the system?

To answer your specific questions they send you a ballot you don't just write on a bit of paper, and they are counted by hand not a PC.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

4 hours ago, neil said:

Is this is all a predicator for the UK?

In a lot of ways, yes it us unfortunately, but over here I can't see it taking weeks or months to declare a result in 2024. Postal votes are counted overnight along with all the rest.

1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

You have to also factor in the fact that the country was founded by people who left the uk because it wasn't religious enough for them...

Indeed. The only thing I'd disagree with about @BomberPat's theory is that he says it's unhinged when it sounds pretty spot on to me. I bet there are American elementary school kids who think Moses read out the Bill of Rights in the Sermon on the Mount and that the Founding Fathers wrote the Ten Commandments, because the reverence in which both texts are held are so intertwined over there. 

In this country we may still have an established Church and Bishops who sit in Parliament by virtue of their ecclesiastical position, but public policy decisions are much less likely to be informed by (and justified by using reference to) religious doctrine than they are in the States. 

• Paid Members

Biden has won Wisconsin. What does he now need to get enough of a lead that Trump can't play silly bugger(or will get told to get fucked even if he tries)?

14 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

Biden has won Wisconsin. What does he now need to get enough of a lead that Trump can't play silly bugger(or will get told to get fucked even if he tries)?

I think that puts Biden at 248. If he takes Nevada (16) and Michigan (6), that's the 270 hit.

8 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

I think that puts Biden at 248. If he takes Nevada (16) and Michigan (6), that's the 270 hit.

Swap the number of electoral college votes - 6 for Nevada, 16 for Michigan. He’s also on 237 votes currently, so it would also take Arizona being called in his favour.

18 minutes ago, Slapnut said:

Swap the number of electoral college votes - 6 for Nevada, 16 for Michigan. He’s also on 237 votes currently, so it would also take Arizona being called in his favour.

Got my numbers from the Associated Press, who've already listed Arizona as Biden's, then I obviously got bamboozled by state sizes and 6s.

248 sounds about right. Fox have given Arizona to Biden as well. 

Looks like Trump's team are taking legal action to stop the counts in Pennsylvania and Michigan. 

No, really. 

• Paid Members

What would this put the scores at if these counts are stopped and the reported figures are accurate? 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

I don't get what legal right they have to attempt to stop the remaining counts. Those states that allow late absentee voting were given the legal go-ahead before the election, weren't they? Both sides had the same rules and the Trump voters could postal vote too if they wanted.

If he succeeds in getting the counts stopped, wouldn't that basically mean that the US is no longer a democracy and make Trump tantamount to a dictator? Hopefully common sense wins and it doesn't come to that, but if it did it would become a very rocky time for world politics...

2 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

What do you think is the flaw in the system?

I've seen people on Twitter mentioning that they've effectively "sold" their vote, accepting cash to vote a certain way. Or even instances of people claiming they have been bullied or coerced into voting a certain way.

All most likely bollocks, of course, but I guess those would be flaws in the system? I dunno.

Coincidentally, if anyone wants to buy a vote at the next general election, shoot me a PM with a cash offer.