It's today then ... (Trump thread)

mikehoncho

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

It does sound like that's exactly what you're doing if you can't even remember the source let alone if there wss any reasoning or logic behind that other than scaremongering.

You're probably right. I hate it when other people spread false info, so I apologise for doing the same...

Yeah, I've seen a few people on Twitter talking about Biden as if he's just running this election for Harris, which I don't think is the case. He may be old, but he's no chump. He's not going to give up the top job after 50 years in the game, is he?

As @Chest Rockwellsays, he may run a single term, but I think he'd be short-changing himself and the voters if he was just a front for Harris.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

Thinking about it, I'm not sure where I heard/read it. I've seen somewhere though that it was expected that Kamala Harris would take over from him at some point in the term should he win.

It was one of Trump's routines in his speeches the last couple of weeks.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Astro Hollywood said:

It was one of Trump's routines in his speeches the last couple of weeks.

Fair enough. Just shows you how quick misinformation can spread and become "fact" in your head. I mean, I hate Trump, his politics and everything he stands for, but some bullshit he says has been spread, re-worded and re-posted so many times that it seems like it must have come from a reliable source so must be gospel. I'm embarrassed now that I regurgitated some of the pricks rhetoric...    

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, David said:

I dunno, maybe it was just me. I could kind of understand the upset victory over Clinton as she came with a lot of political baggage, but I perhaps naively believed that Biden could be the guy to cross the divide. Long-time politician, seemingly respected by most, former vice-president, and someone who, despite his advanced years, knows the score politically. 

A steady hand to bridge the gap, so to speak. Like a big English football club that's floundering bringing in someone like Mick McCarthy to see them through to the end of the season. Never a long term choice, but someone who is widely respected, can do a job, and who's far better than the stroppy arsehole who somehow got the job before.

I also figured that Trump winning four years ago was a novelty. No one knew what he'd actually do, but figured once the US got four years of his shenanigans they'd have smartened up and figured that a real politician is needed for the job.

Seemingly not. And that's fucking disturbing. 

I saw a tweet that was along the lines of "most people outside the US don't realise that a significant portion of the voters are poor, uneducated people who live in towns no one's ever heard of, only watch Fox news and buy their groceries from their local gas station". A bit of a snobbish comment yes, but there's merit in it. I think people forget how massive America is. There's millions of people who just have a completely different world view and perspective that to us is just completely wrong. And they mostly vote Republican. 

• Paid Members
Just now, tiger_rick said:

Be fair to @Cod Eyefellas. The life expectancy in Barnsley is 46. To him, Biden's a walking miracle!

46? That's a bit optimistic. We usually top ourselves when our whippets and Kestrels die...

• Paid Members

A warning too late, but for the sake of your mental health, never pay attention to political betting markets on election night. The crazy movement back and forth is simply that whenever one candidate's odds lengthen, everyone who thinks they have a decent shot bets on them, which drives their odds down and the other guy's up, at which point people pile in on that guy, and you just have a feedback loop.

The outcome is clearly worse for Biden than the most likely result

* Biden had a solid plan A (Michigan/Wisconsin/Pennsylvania) with several back-ups of varying likelihood.

* Several of those back-ups fell through but the most likely (Arizona/Nebraska 2nd district) looks to be in place.

* He may need that back-up as plan A turned out more shaky than forecast.

* The back-up should be enough but it's too early to be 100% certain.

• Paid Members
Just now, tiger_rick said:

Biden leads in Michigan. Only 0.1% (7k votes) with 89% counted but big news after he trailed by 5% and 200k+ this morning.

That just highlight how strong the absentee voting is for him. Any news on Pennsylvania? According to some Republican campaign manager on the BBC this morning, Trump was up ~750k and was saying that they might as well stop counting as Biden couldn't win the state(despite there still being circa 1m votes still to be counted)...

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

Not really. He knows he's done far better in votes in person than postal votes so he was always planning to declare a victory before the postal votes could be counted. Plus, he's a dodgy bastard, we all know that too.

I think if there was a single accurate prediction that anyone could have made that could have been guaranteed to come true, it was that Trump would outwardly cast doubt on anything less than a clear-cut victory for him. It doesn't even taken any real predictive power or guesswork - he's been flatting out telling everyone he would do it for months, but now the pundits are having to pretend to be shocked this morning. 

1 hour ago, David said:

I mean, considering everything Trump has done over the past four years? What does he need to do in order to actually fucking lose decisively? I said previously that I didn't think this was the end of the shitstorm, and this has just confirmed that for me.

Further to what @LaGoosh said about wealth disparity in America, about the sheer scale of America, and even accounting for the tribal mentality of always voting for the party you've always voted for, it's difficult to really quantify the extent of the polarisation in America - in terms of a North/South divide, I have friends there who have always said that, in a lot of ways, the South have never really stopped mentally fighting the Civil War.

But even beyond that, the sources of news and discourse they get their information from are so vastly different - there was a study recently into which news sources Democrats and Republicans trust and distrust.
Republicans, almost universally, distrust more than trust 20 out of 30 news sources, whereas for Democrats its almost the exact inverse, and strengthened the more conservative the Republican or the more liberal the Democrat. Among heavy internet users, the level of distrust among Republicans increases even more, but remains around the same for Democrats.

One of the effects of that polarisation is that one third of Republicans polled said that they only used one source for political news, while one third of Democrats used a range of up to five. 

So the people who are voting for Trump are, perhaps, doing so because they simply never encounter news that paints him in an overwhelmingly negative light or, when they do, they have such a level of distrust in that news source that they instinctively believe that there's an ulterior motive, and believe the opposite of whatever they say. 

And then you can't discount the fact that some people just are exactly the sort of prick who would support him.

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

That just highlight how strong the absentee voting is for him. Any news on Pennsylvania? According to some Republican campaign manager on the BBC this morning, Trump was up ~750k and was saying that they might as well stop counting as Biden couldn't win the state(despite there still being circa 1m votes still to be counted)...

It's something like he needs to win 67% of the remaining ballots (all absentee) and he's won 65% of the absentee ballots so far. It's really down to where in the state the remaining ballots are from. It's very plausible he wins, but you wouldn't want to rely on it.

Edited by JNLister

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, JNLister said:

It's something like he needs to win 67% of the remaining ballots (all absentee) and he's won 65% of the absentee ballots so far. It's really down to where in the state the remaining ballots are from.

In true Kevin Keegan style, I'd love it if Biden wins the state! The Republican rep they had on Tv was your classic, over the top, I know more than you type who was obnoxiously and loudly laughing over the top of whatever the woman who was representing the Democrats had to say. It was pure arrogance.

7 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

In true Kevin Keegan style, I'd love it if Biden wins the state! The Republican rep they had on Tv was your classic, over the top, I know more than you type who was obnoxiously and loudly laughing over the top of whatever the woman who was representing the Democrats had to say. It was pure arrogance.

I see that guy! Total douchebag haha