Paid Members LaGoosh Posted November 5, 2020 Paid Members Posted November 5, 2020 Trump is definitely unique in that he has this weird charisma that appears to attract people. Outside of Trump does the Republican party have anyone who could draw these people in? The mad shit Trump says probably wouldn't work coming out of anyone else's mouth. Additionally Trump has spent the past 4-5 years trampling and cucking the other top Republican figures so who could step in? Basically the next decade or so will be terrible until our lord and saviour, the goddess AOC can become President and save the world ❤❤❤
Steve Justice Posted November 5, 2020 Posted November 5, 2020 5 minutes ago, stumobir said: I wonder which way Michael Rapaport voted. Was that a Joe Pesci monologue?
Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted November 5, 2020 Paid Members Posted November 5, 2020 43 minutes ago, BomberPat said: I don't think there's any guarantee of that. Nothing stopping him doing a Grover Cleveland and running again in 2024, assuming his base stand by him for that long - and the only reason they won't is if someone else comes along to do the job better. As has been discussed a little below Pat, the massive amount of lawsuits that he is going to have to deal with could be an issue. You can't campaign in prison, especially when you don't want convicted criminals to be allowed to vote.
Paid Members BomberPat Posted November 5, 2020 Paid Members Posted November 5, 2020 13 minutes ago, LaGoosh said: Trump is definitely unique in that he has this weird charisma that appears to attract people. Outside of Trump does the Republican party have anyone who could draw these people in? The mad shit Trump says probably wouldn't work coming out of anyone else's mouth. Additionally Trump has spent the past 4-5 years trampling and cucking the other top Republican figures so who could step in? Thing is, Trump wasn't a Republican party figure. It might be that the role of president eventually falls to whichever wealthy public figure is able to shout loud enough to get the nomination, and the Republicans might be canny/unprincipled enough to look outside of their party for the next Trump. A lot of it will come down to how the party establishment treats those who stood by Trump to the end, and to what extent they try and rebuild as a more rational "back to normal" party, at least on the surface. George Monbiot wrote back last year that the push towards populism has been informed by changes in how capitalism operates; basically, when capitalism was largely a system of major corporations pulling the strings, it suited the system to support bland politicians that were unlikely to rock the boat or cause much disruption on the markets, but that the balance of power is increasingly with individual oligarchs - a class that was able to rise to prominence largely because of the widespread tax cuts and deregulation of the "bland" politicians - who benefit more from chaos than stability. Any capitalist party - and the Democrats and Republicans are both capitalist parties, just that one is historically the party of labour/real capital and the other the party of financial capital - has to reckon with that world, and that's going to fall down in favour of either the "strong man" approach of a Trump-style populist, or a swing further left than the US has managed in decades (if ever) to counterbalance it. Obviously, the Republicans are more likely to go down the "strong man" route, whereas despite the rise in popularity of ideas of universal healthcare and social safety nets from the likes of Bernie Sanders and younger Democrats like AOC, there doesn't seem to be much appetite from the mainstream of the Democrats to go far enough in that direction. 8 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said: As has been discussed a little below Pat, the massive amount of lawsuits that he is going to have to deal with could be an issue. You can't campaign in prison, especially when you don't want convicted criminals to be allowed to vote. Ultimately I just have absolutely no confidence that he will face justice. Lawsuits will drag on forever with no real resolution, and I honestly believe the American political establishment will be too embarrassed to convict a former President. People like Donald Trump don't face justice.
Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted November 5, 2020 Paid Members Posted November 5, 2020 Perhaps he won't Pat, but there could be what is known as the "Full Epstein" in his future.
Members SuperBacon Posted November 5, 2020 Members Posted November 5, 2020 28 minutes ago, stumobir said: I wonder which way Michael Rapaport voted. That's the only downside to Trump losing. A lot of really awful people will be happy too.
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted November 5, 2020 Paid Members Posted November 5, 2020 1 hour ago, Factotum said: Arizona is making me extremely nervous Georgia has got really, really close but not a lot to report. PA has closed massively too. Good chances for Biden in both states. Arizona does look iffy now. As neil (I think) pointed out, lots of the remaining ballots are from out of the main cities which tend to be red. really is fascinatingly close. The Cities almost all being blue is fascinating too. Even in the Southern and Central states Trump has dominated, if you look at the map, almost anywhere with a big city is blue. You'd almost expect it to be the other way round with Republicans, and particularly Trump, being vocal on economics. But all of the big cities are against. Not too dissimilar in this country.
Paid Members garynysmon Posted November 5, 2020 Paid Members Posted November 5, 2020 25 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: That's the only downside to Trump losing. A lot of really awful people will be happy too. Find it hard to disagree with much of what he said tbh! I'd say that Pennsylvania is pretty certain, Nevada and Arizona semi-certain, but Georgia still more unlikely. So the final result might something like Biden 290, Trump 248. Biden needs to avoid finishing on 270 or anywhere near it really as it would only put more fuel on the fire.
RedRooster Posted November 5, 2020 Posted November 5, 2020 33 minutes ago, BomberPat said: Thing is, Trump wasn't a Republican party figure. It might be that the role of president eventually falls to whichever wealthy public figure is able to shout loud enough to get the nomination, and the Republicans might be canny/unprincipled enough to look outside of their party for the next Trump. A lot of it will come down to how the party establishment treats those who stood by Trump to the end, and to what extent they try and rebuild as a more rational "back to normal" party, at least on the surface. I wonder if that's even possible at this stage. Trump may well decide to stand again in 2024, or one of his children (or Jared Kushner) might fancy their chances. I'm more worried about the next Trump-like candidate is someone intelligent, someone who is smart enough to weaponise hate in an even more dangerous way. I've seen talk of some Republicans viewing Fox News's Tucker Carlson as a potential option in the future and I find that very, very scary. If you're not familiar with him I'm not going to link to any of his hate speeches, but he manages to dress up extreme viewpoints and false takes in a way that feels both convincing and reasonable. Trump is dangerous, but ultimately he's stupid. Clearly there's the potential for someone intelligent but equally willing to take advantage of bigotry and hatred to appeal to a wider audience and take that country, and by association ours, down a really dark path.
Keith Houchen Posted November 5, 2020 Posted November 5, 2020 If any Trump is going to run it’ll be Ivanka I reckon. She ticks all the GOP base boxes but is married to a Jew, so that might be a stumbling block. As I mentioned last time around, my mate is a Brooklyn Jew and he said a lot of Jews hoped Bernie wouldn’t get the nod and become president. They loved him but were scared that if any disaster happened under his watch, or the economy tanked, then it would lead to increased anti Semitism and put them in danger.
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted November 5, 2020 Paid Members Posted November 5, 2020 Trump isn't stupid. He's the human embodiment of low cunning.
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted November 5, 2020 Moderators Posted November 5, 2020 31 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: That's the only downside to Trump losing. A lot of really awful people will be happy too. Ah no way. I'm not having this. Rappaport is great. I think I'm biased because he's a huge hip hop head but he's a good actor too and seems like a decent guy. P!
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted November 5, 2020 Paid Members Posted November 5, 2020 I had to google it because I only know him from Friends but apparently he harassed a woman in the 90s. I thought that was what was being meant here. Obviously tarred for life.
Guest Posted November 5, 2020 Posted November 5, 2020 6 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said: If any Trump is going to run it’ll be Ivanka I reckon. She'll be far too busy with her Chinese patent for voting machines to take any interest in... oh.
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted November 5, 2020 Moderators Posted November 5, 2020 7 minutes ago, tiger_rick said: I had to google it because I only know him from Friends but apparently he harassed a woman in the 90s. I thought that was what was being meant here. Obviously tarred for life. Oh I never heard about that. I can't pass judgement on that because I don't know the details.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.