2017 Clog-Popping Thread

Gus Mears

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Similar story up, Hybrid Theory was fucking massive for its time and whether you liked them or not, you can't deny its impact. No other metal band were selling 30 million copies of a single album at the turn of the century.

Like I say I was never a fan personally, and outside of what they put out as singles I wouldn't be able to say whether that's a Linkin Park tune or not if you just randomly played me one. I don't think I've heard anything of theirs since 'What I've Done' (at least not knowingly), but I know they were still put out material at a steady rate and from what I've read they had pretty much free-reign on their material which is always a good thing, for a band to make the album that they want to make.

• Paid Members

What a shock and such a shame he's gone. He was a great singer who many had thought had overcome a lot of his struggles. I guess we never really know. Hybrid Theory, Meteora and Reanimation were great albums, especially Hybrid Theory which I played constantly as a teenager and still listen to and love to this day. 

• Paid Members

Hybrid Theory was cracking. Reanimation was some crazy experimental stuff. That version of One Step Closer with Jon Davies from Korn is marvellous. I really love Collision Course with Jay-Z/ It's a great way to fill 20-30 minutes or so if you're on a bus journey or somesuch. I had a proper listen to some of their newer stuff on the way into work this morning, and was surprised how many of their songs were about not giving into your demons, or somewhat biographical about some of the mental health problems they'd been having. I bet they've saved some lives through their music.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

Another one for the list - Deborah Watling, companion to the second incarnation of Doctor Who, has died at the age of 69.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40684318

"Leather Lungs" as she was known, due to the amount of screaming she had to do.

• Paid Members

His best performance was in Cutter's Way. He should have got a pile of lead roles off the back of that but unfortunately nobody went to see it. Great character actor.

49 minutes ago, Slapnut said:

John Heard has died, probably best known for playing Kevin's dad in Home Alone.

I loved watching him pop up in things. He was great in The Sopranos.

He was excellent as Vin Makazian. An absolute desperado, and the scenes with him and Dr Melfi and her boyfriend were superb. So unsettling 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

His best performance was in Cutter's Way. He should have got a pile of lead roles off the back of that but unfortunately nobody went to see it. Great character actor.

My old company rereleased a few of Newton Thornburg's novels (spoke to him a couple of times about a promotional project, nice bloke), including Cutter and Bone ‚ can endorse Devon on the film version, and recommend any of the books I've read by him (Dreamland and To Die in California, too).

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Such a huge fan of Glen Campbell who was so much more than Country. A seriously great guitarist, a wonderful singer and incredibly brave during such a awful cruel illness. All the collaborations with Jimmy Webb were golden. And his 2000's album Meet Glen Campbell is a joy too.

Very sad news about Glen Campbell. Alzheimer's has sadly silenced one of musics greatest ever voices. The collaborations with Jimmy Webb produced some excellent songs. By the Time I Get to Phoenix is in my opinion a timeless classic. Glen Campbell crossed over from country into the mainstream. Not only was he a great vocalist but a very talented guitarist too. He was part of the legendary Wrecking Crew studio musicians and also stepped in to replace Brian in the touring Beach Boys for a few months.

The BBC have a documentary on Friday at 9.45pm and an Evening with concert at 11.45pm on BBC4. The documentary movie I'll Be Me I highly recommend but it's very moving because it goes into detail about Glen Campbell's battle with Alzheimer's. It's on tonight on Sky Arts at 9pm

RIP Glen Campbell

Archived