2017 Clog-Popping Thread

Gus Mears

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Not to detract from the Forsyth discussion, but I only just found out that Manoel de Oliveira, the world's oldest film director, and the only film-maker whose career spanned from the silent era into the digital era, died two years ago. I was always massively impressed by the guy; the fact he was making films until he was 106 was incredible.

In fact, if you think about it, it ties in with what Gus was saying about Bruce Forsyth, in that Oliveira had been around long enough to cross into modern film, and Forsyth had been around since the beginning of television, a star crossing eras of entertainment.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

I remember (sort of) an advert for cigars where loads of comics were offered one and accepted, then at the end Brucie declined one and the voiceover said something about "Favourite cigar of Britains best loved comedians", to which Bruce said "Do you mind" and as the screen faded you heard him say "I'm an entertainer".  His car was in shot and the reg was BFE 1.

Does anyone else remember this or am I imagining things again?

This definitely existed. "I'm an entertainer!" was a bit of a catchphrase at our school for a while. Better than when everyone kept going "DIME BARRR" anyway.

A weirdly-clipped version is about 10 seconds in:

• Paid Members

I have to say I thought Jerry Lewis passed away years ago.  Could've sworn I'd seen something about it in the early 2000s.

It seems he was something of an avid film-maker mid-career. There's a Friars' Club Roast of him which frequently rips the piss out of his movies and his "Jerry Lewis Movie Houses" business.

Archived