2017 Clog-Popping Thread

Gus Mears

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beyond devastated. They and especially Chester were everything to my ex-wife. They literally saved her in her teenage years with their music, when she was going through tough times.

A few years ago we both saw them at the 02. I had seen them a number of times but she had never in her life and I've never seen someone so excited for a gig. As she was part of their online community she got the chance to go backstage before the gig and meet them and was beside herself. They all lined up and said hello and my ex was in bits. As Chester got to her she was sobbing (with happiness) and he said to her "don't cry beautiful" and gave her the biggest hug, which someone got a photo of and wouldn't let her go until she stopped crying. It was one of the happiest moments of her life and a night well never forget. Her signed shirt and photos are in a frame above her TV, and she is in absolute bits. 

Add to that, Hybrid Theory was for so many people a gateway album in introducing to rock music, this has hit me inexplicably hard as I know how much Chester meant to someone so close to me. His poor children and family. I just don't know what to do. So sad. 

• Paid Members

Add to that, Hybrid Theory was for so many people a gateway album in introducing to rock music...

I think this is really true. In my case, my mum was into a lot of rock-type music so I got a lot of my taste in music from her, but Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, POD, all those sorts of bands from that time period were what really led me to develop my own tastes in rock music. I know that these days it's cool to shit on nu-metal, but it was great at the time for a teenage me. 

• Paid Members

They were so big in the early 00s that, if you are a certain age, their music takes you back to a more simpler time. Personally, I never bothered enough to buy an album, but their early hits always remind me of hanging with my mate because he was a huge fan and they were either on his CD player or on Kerrang.

Sad news.

They were a great gateway band, weren't they? A lot of young lads and lasses at the time they came out started frequenting rock bars and were looked down snobbish noses like mine.  Those Linkin Park fans may have become fans of heavier stuff, but they remained Linkin Park fans.

He had a helluva voice, and as mentioned it's always so sad when someone goes like that, especially one with a family.

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Add to that, Hybrid Theory was for so many people a gateway album in introducing to rock music

Although I've not listened to a great deal of new rock/metal etc since the 90s, Hybrid Theory was the first album I bought by a band that wasn't called Oasis since I got In Utero for Christmas in 1994. Definitely got me listening to more bands than I ever had, even if only for a couple of years or so.

Still listen to Hybrid Theory now and then, Numb/Encore even more so.

Really liked him as a vocalist, very sad news indeed. RIP

Hybrid Theory genuinely transcended genres. Before that it was literally either Rock or Garage in my Year 11. That album changed everything. I don't give a fuck if people said it was poppy. It was poppy. And it made all the difference. Everyone loved that album as it's accessible. Snobs used to say they were being cynical by making music like that, but fuck that. Melodies are prevalent throughout their whole musical cannon, and they always mixed things up from Jay Z, Reanimation to Stormzy. Always incredible live, last few albums were hit and miss but they still had crackers here and there (check Blackout from A Thousand Suns, one of the best songs they ever made). 

Mike Shinoda is an incredible musician, Chester had one of the most incredible voices (even live) and you just have to look at the outpouring of grief to see what they meant to people of a certain age. 

Someone just posted on Twitter "don't let anyone tell you how to grieve over the death of someone" and it's so true. I'm 32. My ex is 30 and we're both devastated as we can pinpoint moments in our life where that music hit hard and made a real difference to us. Fucking bawling my eyes out. 

5 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

I remember in my school it was all garage and grime and rap and one day I was listening to track seven (I forget the title right now) on Meteora and all those garage/grime/rap guys loved it. 

Lol, don't even have to look it up, Faint innit. Absolute banger 

What a bloody sad day, Was woken up by my mate to tell me of the news and the reaction was one of shock and disbelief. You are having a laugh? No, apparently not. 

LP certainly brought a lot of fans to metal going on to different bands and genres and resonates with many as a result.  I loved the first two albums  and LP was always dark lyrically, but it also helped so many to relate and articulate feelings they didn;t always know how to put into words. I loved collaborations with Cyclefly, and his time as STP frontman (Stripped back Plush is a favourite).

41 is no age at all, and being an age that is not too far off that, it hits home about life, achievements, and what you can and cant do with it. I guess that's the same for many as LP were getting big around the time people were teens and now as they are hitting late 30's music that has helped inspire, cope and been with them through a large chunk of life now has an end which is impossible to quantify.

Genuinely stunned

RIP

Archived