2017 Clog-Popping Thread

Gus Mears

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

Save a pic of him this morning (one of the Jim Draws or whatever, Star Trek Next Generation Game) and thought, hasn't he died? Brilliant entertainer though, easily underestimated. 

• Paid Members

That timeless thing goes with longevity. You'd have to be in your 70s to recall a time when he wasn't on the box, so basically before television became ubiquitous. 

What I loved about Bruce was that however low you felt, you would feel a bit better after watching something with him on. His positivity was infectious and not forced. I always felt like he genuinely loved interacting with people and with so little edge. The smile seemed real. 

He had that gift in entertainment that is goldust; he made it feel like he was talking directly to you at home. 

• Paid Members

The one show last night has that old bloke Len who was a judge on strictly. He discussed learning show biz from Bruce and I swear there was a hint of past tense in his rambles.

Cracking entertainment from Bruce when I was a kid watching the generation game. I was so pleased to see his legacy was never tarnished a couple of years ago with Rolf and co. 

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

The one show last night has that old bloke Len who was a judge on strictly. He discussed learning show biz from Bruce and I swear there was a hint of past tense in his rambles.

Cracking entertainment from Bruce when I was a kid watching the generation game. I was so pleased to see his legacy was never tarnished a couple of years ago with Rolf and co. 

Let's wait and see mate.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Gus Mears said:

His positivity was infectious and not forced. I always felt like he genuinely loved interacting with people and with so little edge. The smile seemed real. 

Now I'd say the opposite on this. I loved watching loads of his shows, and still enjoy watching repeats of PYCR, but as a host he always seemed the epitome of the slick false front host who was doing a great job ticking the boxes while the cameras were on. 

While I suspect I'll be going against the flow on this I thought Monkhouse was the better game show host. 

• Paid Members

My favourite show on a Saturday night when I was younger was Play Your Cards Right. I used to get a lot of satisfaction from guessing higher or lower. 

I have to say, there was a time when it seemed every old school TV host was getting busted in the wake of Saville and I was very worried that Brucie was next. 

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Now I'd say the opposite on this. I loved watching loads of his shows, and still enjoy watching repeats of PYCR, but as a host he always seemed the epitome of the slick false front host who was doing a great job ticking the boxes while the cameras were on. 

While I suspect I'll be going against the flow on this I thought Monkhouse was the better game show host. 

I'll be honest Tommy, I think there is a reason why almost everyone eulogising him in showbiz and beyond has said the total opposite. 

I also love Monkhouse, but I've never seen any evidence whatsoever to suggest that Bruce was anything other than legit.

A hell of a lot of the formulaic aspect can be explained by the fact that he basically wrote the formula.

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

When I was doing media in high school, we went to see play your cards right being filmed. In between takes and episodes he was wandering round the audience chatting and shaking hands with as many people as he could. One old fella and his wife stopped him and started talking about golf. After a few minutes he said 'we'll talk some more after' which seemed like a proper 'I don't have time for this right now' excuse. But, just as the last episode finished he came back for a chat and a runner took them backstage for a drink. 

On on another note, he made his tv debut as a child in 1939. Tv had only been broadcasting for 3 years at that point. He's essentially been on the telly since telly existed. 

I remember (sort of) an advert for cigars where loads of comics were offered one and accepted, then at the end Brucie declined one and the voiceover said something about "Favourite cigar of Britains best loved comedians", to which Bruce said "Do you mind" and as the screen faded you heard him say "I'm an entertainer".  His car was in shot and the reg was BFE 1.

Does anyone else remember this or am I imagining things again?

1 minute ago, Guy Bifkin said:

I wonder if there will be a minute's silence at the football tomorrow? 

There is at the Cov game, they say it's for the victims of Barcelona but it's not that much of a tragedy they got humped in the Super Cup.

Archived