2017 Clog-Popping Thread

Gus Mears

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

By The Time I Get To Phoenix, Wichita Lineman, Rhinestone Cowboy. Any singer worth their salt would kill to have one song half as good as any of them under their belt - do have recorded them all, and done so much more besides, is one hell of a career.

I wish I'd given more thought to him while he was alive - he was someone who'd always raise a smile when I heard him, and I'd never skip past Wichita Lineman if it came on shuffle on the iPod, but it's not a song, and he's not an artist, that I'd have ever listed amongst my favourites, he was just always there. Hearing so much of his stuff on the radio yesterday made me realise how much I'm missing out. Definitely going to go out of my way to listen to more now.

• Awards Moderator

Wichita Lineman has been in my scrupulously-culled Desert Island Discs playlist (8 songs only, as per) for over fifteen years. It's achingly sad, evocative and the perfect length. It's just staggeringly beautiful. 

• Paid Members
Just now, Onyx2 said:

Wichita Lineman has been in my scrupulously-culled Desert Island Discs playlist (8 songs only, as per) for over fifteen years. It's achingly sad, evocative and the perfect length. It's just staggeringly beautiful. 

It's on 6Music now...like I said, I've always loved it, just never given it much thought. Evocative is exactly the right word - it just sounds of wide open space, of loneliness, but with a hopeful tinge. And the strings and bloody gorgeous. It's perfect, not a thing you could change about it.

All that and it's only 13 lines, and one of those is repeated!

1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

It's a favourite of our Butch as well.  REM do a wonderful cover of it, certainly does the song justice.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

It's a favourite of our Butch as well.  REM do a wonderful cover of it, certainly does the song justice.

Greatest love song of all time, dealing with pure need and also is a bit dark and stalkery. Has it all. 

Johnny Cash also did a fine rendition during the American Recordings years. 

• Paid Members

Ah man, gutted. Such a fixture of all of our childhoods I would imagine. One of the true greats of entertainment that this country has produced. Doing his entrance to the Generation Game followed by a crap 'good game, good game' has been a key part of a night out for as long as I can remember. Absolutely loved Brucey. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

There was a bit of me that thought he'd live forever. 

He's one of those who will.  The catchphrases and the pose has been going for as many years as I can remember, and will carry on now he's gone.

Archived