2017 Clog-Popping Thread

Gus Mears

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I've got Friday off work. Going down the cricket with a few mates and then we've decided to bring the beer-based refreshment back to mine for a Roger Moore Bond marathon. I am going to blub like a baby when the theme to The Spy Who Loved Me hits.

As others have said, lovely, lovely bloke by the sound of things. That story above brought a tear to my eye earlier Wretch.

• Paid Members

That story is brilliant. I was in the Doctor's waiting for my other half to come out of her physiotherapy appointment when I saw he'd passed away, and it took everything I had not to burst into tears when I saw. He was my favourite James Bond, I remember reading his biography and listening to the audio version as well. It's a brilliant book, and the things he's done in his life are pretty inspirational as well. The world has truly lost one of the greats today.

• Paid Members

Same here. I'm watching The Spy Who Loved Me right now. He was my Bond. I grew up watching his Bond films - they have always been my favourites and he has always been my favourite Bond.

But he also did some good stuff elsewhere - North Sea Hijack, The Man Who Haunted Himself and Shout At The Devil are all great fun. Just a massive part of my childhood and adult life too, and always seemed such a genuinely nice man. 

• Paid Members

He was the only decent Bond to open up in those DVD \ Blu Ray documentaries as well. All the rest wanted to clam up about their experiences, especially Connery.

Connery is a few years younger than Moore was. Sean is 86, George Lazenby is 77 and Dalton is 71, Brosnan is 64 (which both surprised me a bit).

ADDED: Regarding "North Sea Hijack" or "Ffolkes" (various channels have it named as different things) mentioned a few posts ago, Anthony Perkins would have been a brilliant Bond villian like he was in that film. Basically another 70s Bond-ish film right there.

• Paid Members

He had a good run, but it's still very sad.

Loved him and Les Dawson as Cissie and Ada, absolutely hilarious. RIP.

Archived