2017 Clog-Popping Thread

Gus Mears

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Out of nowhere! Such a shame. I'm so glad I went to that festival in Hyde Park a couple years back when Soundgarden played. They played Superunknown from start to finish, it was totally out of the blue, didn't know until he said it at the start of their set. Amazing experience.

• Paid Members

Big shock waking up to that this morning. Immediately thought of Herbie as he was a big fan.

Saw them live at Sunstroke in 1995 with White Zombie, Mudhoney and Pennywise, and although Pennywise blew everyone else on the bill to shreds with their set, and Soundgarden were quite lethargic and boring, I was standing there thinking “I’m obviously in the presence of greatness, so even if they’re shite today, it’s nice to be able to see them live”

• Paid Members

Gutted. Superunknown is fucking great, and Cornell is so tied to so many memories of home and my family for me, that this has felt like a real kick in the teeth.

My half-brother's house was broken in to while was at university, and they stole all the CDs from the rack in his living room, but left Chris Cornell's solo album, Euphoria Morning. That story always makes me smile.

• Paid Members

very sad news.

i didnt get into Cornell/Soundgarden till post-Audioslave really, i always skipped over them during my teens for some reason, became a big fan though.

Saw Soundgarden touring King Animal a few years back in Birmingham, absolutely outstanding, then caught Cornell solo for my Birthday last year. Great voice, great talent, great songs. 

It's absolutely mad when you think of US grunge, you tend to think of the big ones being Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Stone Temple Pilots and Soundgarden. Then you realise that Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, Scott Weiland and now Chris Cornell are all dead, and all from either suicide (if that is true about Cornell) or drug overdose

1 hour ago, mikehoncho said:

Agh FFS; You Know My Name is one of the best Bond themes.  RIP.

No it isn't.

Christ, genuinely saddened by this, one of the most powerful and distinctive voices of his generation.  I saw Soundgarden and Corrosion Of Conformity when I was about 18 and was blown away by them.  Badmotorfinger was an important album for me.  Shocked.

Just now, Keith Houchen said:

No it isn't.

It's a million times better than the one for Spectre (Writing's On The Wall??), & Skyfall ... it's got a great drive to it & Cornell's vocal is outstanding.

1 minute ago, mikehoncho said:

It's a million times better than the one for Spectre (Writing's On The Wall??), & Skyfall ... it's got a great drive to it & Cornell's vocal is outstanding.

Yes, you're right, but it isn't one of the best Bond themes.  Now take thyself to this thread.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

It's absolutely mad when you think of US grunge, you tend to think of the big ones being Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Stone Temple Pilots and Soundgarden. Then you realise that Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, Scott Weiland and now Chris Cornell are all dead, and all from either suicide (if that is true about Cornell) or drug overdose

Eddie Vedder is probably quaking in his boots right now. And pissed off that you forgot PJ.

RIP Chris Cornell. That is a genuine shocker. He seemed to be on course to be "the one who survived".

Archived