2017 Clog-Popping Thread

Gus Mears

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Sergio Mendacious said:

Hugh Hefner, sent to the big grotto in the sky at 91; stellar innings for a smut peddler.

Particularly for one who was born when he was. 

In my mind, Hugh Hefner has always been about 85, so I was relatively surprised to hear that he was only 91. 

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
On 9/5/2017 at 7:42 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Holger Czukay of Can has died 

No-one else commented on this, but that's a real shame. Aside from his work with Can, the albums he did with Jah Wobble and Jaki Liebezeit are top.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

A moving tribute on BBC Pidgin;

https://www.bbc.com/pidgin/world-41424388

That's fascinating, I didn't know BBC had a pidgin/patois section. Do they say which pidgin it is? Seems Caribbean initially, but there are a couple of elements of Melanesian there.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I'd assumed Nigerian - just from context clues, really, as I don't know nearly enough to make that judgement, but looks to be more broadly West African; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-40975399

That makes a lot of sense; a lot of Caribbean patois is, for obvious reasons, based in West African English pidgins. The "im Papa" ("his father") bit was what made me think it was Caribbean. Looking more broadly at Jamaican patois, it certainly misses some elements of it. Just that the "go dey missed" bit, I'm pretty sure I'd read in examples of Melanesian pidgin. But if they themselves are saying it's West and Central African, then that's clearly what it is; a lot of creoles and pidgins share many similarities. I've picked up a lot of Mauritian creole from my family, and I found it fascinating I was able to have half a conversation with a Dominican, given that that's half a world away.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Carbomb said:

That makes a lot of sense; a lot of Caribbean patois is, for obvious reasons, based in West African English pidgins. The "im Papa" ("his father") bit was what made me think it was Caribbean. Looking more broadly at Jamaican patois, it certainly misses some elements of it. Just that the "go dey missed" bit, I'm pretty sure I'd read in examples of Melanesian pidgin. But if they themselves are saying it's West and Central African, then that's clearly what it is; a lot of creoles and pidgins share many similarities. I've picked up a lot of Mauritian creole from my family, and I found it fascinating I was able to have half a conversation with a Dominican, given that that's half a world away.

I had a full conversation with a Dominican. His name was Mateo, he spoke perfect English.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Sergio Mendacious said:

I had a full conversation with a Dominican. His name was Mateo, he spoke perfect English.

Was he from Dominica or the Dominican Republic? With a name like Mateo, and given that you're resident in the US, chances are high that he's from the DR - they speak Spanish there and emigrate to the US a lot.

Dominicans from Dominica come to the UK a lot, and they speak creole as well as English. The woman I was speaking to also spoke perfect English, but she was fascinated that Mauritian was so similar, so we engaged each other in a conversation to see if we could understand each other.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Was he from Dominica or the Dominican Republic? With a name like Mateo, and given that you're resident in the US, chances are high that he's from the DR - they speak Spanish there and emigrate to the US a lot.

Dominicans from Dominica come to the UK a lot, and they speak creole as well as English. The woman I was speaking to also spoke perfect English, but she was fascinated that Mauritian was so similar, so we engaged each other in a conversation to see if we could understand each other.

I was joking, I've never spoken to a foreign :blush:

Archived