Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

13 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

The Owens US title thing is another example of wins and losses being utterly meaningless, too. Owens beats Rollins at Mania, Rollins goes straight into a WWE title feud and Owens is going for the secondary belt? Just a complete lack of logic there.

Only if you're ignoring their 2019 scores as well. Rollins was the champion for most of the year and had wins over Lesnar, Strowman etc. Owens had neither the big event wins, nor the same quality of opposition in his wins.

13 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

The Owens US title thing is another example of wins and losses being utterly meaningless, too. Owens beats Rollins at Mania, Rollins goes straight into a WWE title feud and Owens is going for the secondary belt? Just a complete lack of logic there.

I don’t know if that’s a great example of how little forward planning occurs these days, how Vince can change his mind at a moments notice or how pisspoor they are at booking a babyface 

If they had it set in stone that Seth was to be Drew’s first feud as Champion, then surely Seth should’ve won at Wrestlemania in order to move on to something higher up than where he was, not just because he’s the closest thing they’ve got to a top heel. Owens winning should’ve moved him onto something above what he’s coming off of, but that would mean turning him heel in order to feud with Drew, so why have Owens win? It’s shit like that which gives credence to Roadogg’s “wins & loses don’t matter, it’s about character” bullshit.

They did something similar the other year, I think it was on Extreme Rules in 2018, when Lashley beat Reigns (more or less clean from what I can remember), that should’ve set him off onto a bigger feud. But it didn’t, it meant fuck all. Likewise Reigns should’ve been onto something bigger after beating Undertaker at Wrestlemania, not getting beaten 2 PPVs in a row by Pre-Show Battle Royale participant Braun Strowman. After beating Taker, Reigns didn’t win on PPV again until the end of September, beating Cena in a hotshotted match because they’ve realised “shit, Reigns a big win because we need to build him as a challenger to Brock”

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Maverick said:

Been watching 98 WWF through and my god am I ever sick of Austin, Taker and Kane.

That summer "are they or aren't they" story I didn't really enjoy as much as I expected watching it back. It seemed to go on forever and fizzled out to nothing. 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Maverick said:

Been watching 98 WWF through and my god am I ever sick of Austin, Taker and Kane.

Just now, Tommy! said:

That summer "are they or aren't they" story I didn't really enjoy as much as I expected watching it back. It seemed to go on forever and fizzled out to nothing. 

I'm the complete opposite. I really tired of them in the couple of years after Austin came back in late 2000 and I think I retrospectively applied that to the era prior. But watching it back a year or two ago, it was as brilliant as I remembered the first time. Just such a breeze to sit through. The crowd being into just about everything makes it but there's also the progression of guys who'd go on to be a real big deal in the next couple of years and everything with Austin in, just about, is great. I didn't watch the PPVs though. Fuck that.

• Paid Members

Did Undertaker and Kane ever have a good match? I watched their WrestleMania XIV one years ago and remember enjoying it, but any other match I’ve seen of theirs (SummerSlam 2000, the god-awful one at WrestleMania XX) has been dire, and now don’t know if I’m just remembering their first one with rose-tinted glasses.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, King Pitcos said:

Only if you're ignoring their 2019 scores as well. Rollins was the champion for most of the year and had wins over Lesnar, Strowman etc. Owens had neither the big event wins, nor the same quality of opposition in his wins.

So I'm meant to consider long-term win/loss records and strength of opponent in WWE now? Sounds a bit too much like 'real sports presentation' for me, mate.

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

Did Undertaker and Kane ever have a good match? I watched their WrestleMania XIV one years ago and remember enjoying it, but any other match I’ve seen of theirs (SummerSlam 2000, the god-awful one at WrestleMania XX) has been dire, and now don’t know if I’m just remembering their first one with rose-tinted glasses.

Yeah the WM14 match was good and still holds up as was the Inferno match the next month. They didn't really have that many matches after that until Kane's heel title run years later and they were all fairly dull.

59 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

I thought the Summerslam 2000 effort was a half decent brawl actually, Mania 14 was just alright and XX is dire. 

• Paid Members

They also had matches at Judgement Day (with Austin as ref) and Survivor Series in 98 (tournament), plus the 3-way with Austin at Breakdown. But the fact I can’t really remember anything about those matches suggests they weren’t much good. Either that or I’m getting old.

It wasn’t singles but I quite enjoyed Taker & Show vs Kane & X-Pac at SummerSlam 99. I also liked that Kane wore the alternate attire he had on the Attitude game as well. 

D29E00EF-C146-4F85-9A46-5F07AF75857D.png

I always thought the Summer slam 2000 match was alright, seen it a few times as it's one of those shows I can always rewatch. It probably looks worse being on a show with the main event and TLC. Also I remember Jericho/Benoit being decent too and the hardcore title match will always be remembered for the bump

Edited by simonworden

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I still find it baffling the amount of people who would say that Undertakers retirement match should be against Kane, considering their previous matches together have been average at best. 

The Kane and Undertaker characters are inevitably intertwined though. Does it really matter if it ends up being 5* or not? That's my major disconnect with the modern mentality. 

Edited by garynysmon

29 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I still find it baffling the amount of people who would say that Undertakers retirement match should be against Kane, considering their previous matches together have been average at best. 

Yeah but Bringing Old Things Back and revisiting the attitude era is always best. Nothing else they come up with would be as good as Kane retiring Undertaker, and nobody new is worthy of that spot.

Also, I fucking hate how WWE always relies on attitude era nostalgia. They need to come up with some new ideas and make some new stars.

In all seriousness, I recall one of the Undertaker vs Kane matches in 2010 being alright, but I could be wildly misremembering it. I'm possibly confusing it with a match Kane had with someone else during his main event heel run that year.