Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Even if they did get all the WCW top stars it still would have been shit, let's be honest. WCWs top stars were fucking rubbish at that point in time. What dream matches were there in a 2001 WCW vs WWE scenario which would have actually delivered outside of Hogan/Rock?  

29 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Even if they did get all the WCW top stars it still would have been shit, let's be honest. WCWs top stars were fucking rubbish at that point in time. What dream matches were there in a 2001 WCW vs WWE scenario which would have actually delivered outside of Hogan/Rock?  

I dunno Austin v Goldberg wouldn't have been awful from a spectacle perspective. Sting v Taker. Nash and Hall v HHH andd Austin. 

Edited by Michael_3165

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

I dunno Austin v Goldberg wouldn't have been awful from a spectacle perspective. Sting v Taker. Nash and Hall v HHH andd Austin. 

American Badass Taker vs Sting? No thanks. Austin v Goldberg would never have worked because Austin at that time wouldn't have wanted to bump or look weak to Goldberg. And neither Nash or Hall had anything left in the tank at that point. 

2 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

American Badass Taker vs Sting

That would still have done big business, then the rematch would have done even better once Undertaker had reverted back to being dead. Could have put Sting in Kane’s spot at Wrestlemania 20 with some small changes to the story. 

• Paid Members

The injury Scott Steiner sustained that effectively hampered his WWF/E run - did he get that before or after the Invasion? Because if it was after, I'd have been intrigued by a Steiner/Angle match then. Or Steiner/Austin - imagine the promos.

6 hours ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Steph made even less sense since Heyman was actually there. Shane made sense but they should have gone with a mystery financial backer to later be revealed as Flair. Could have been a good higher power angle but with an actual pay off.

the Steph thing is the funniest shit ever. There's probably better examples but that's a shining example of them getting it so wright then so wrong in record time because the mid match reunion with RVD and Dreamer was the same show wasn't it? I was a fully converted tye dyed in the wool ECW mutant and I was fucking furious at the finish of the show

Booking the WCW lot like muppets made the WWF look like they'd spent the 90's in a hard fought battle against a bunch of losers. It made WWF look weaker. 

The Invasion angle gets a lot of criticism but it was what it was, Vince obviously wanted rid of the WCW name, but I don't know what other way you could've done it really. The only difference would've been trying to push the incoming talent stronger. It was a short, quick pay off that was never going to be done any other way though. You'd be as well to fantasy book what would've happened if WCW bought Vince out. 

In hindsight, it sounds logical to say they should've brought in wrestlers individually on their own merits without the Invasion stuff, but the fans were salivating for some kind of on-screen WWF vs WCW programme. They had to do the us Vs them angle.

Wrestling moved at such a pace back then that anything that ran for more than 3 months felt like an age. Trying to book a programme that ran for a couple of years might be doable now, with the Network and whatever, but 2001 was a different world.

WCW should have come in and mowed down the WWF guys. Really hammered them with the WWF guys having to pull out all the stops to overcome the big adversary. I am dismayed at how incompetent they were (though I do "get" that they didn't have half the stars). Booker, DDP, Awesome et al should have steamrolled over Taker, Austin and Angle. The problem was the simply wasn't enough big name talent to work. I would have bought in Flair earlier as the WCW frontman - furious at Vince for destroying the company that made him a megastar. The whole thing should have made mega money, not a damp squib. 

• Paid Members
Just now, Cannibal Man said:

I know it's probably covered on a million podcasts re why it never did, but it's still mental to me they never went with Hogan vs Austin when they had the chance

They tried and Austin flat out refused didn't he, just wasn't interested in working with him because he thought he was a massive cunt who'd try and get himself over at anyone else's expense. Then when he was paired with hall he moaned about loosing and got it changed because he didn't want to put someone over who'd more than likely get pissed up and fired 6 weeks later. 

He could read people well Austin, you can't argue with that. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Cannibal Man said:

I know it's probably covered on a million podcasts re why it never did, but it's still mental to me they never went with Hogan vs Austin when they had the chance, at two different Wrestlemanias

Hogan/Austin just feels like such a weird pairing to me. Total clash. I can't see Austin working a typical Hogan match and no way Hogan could have kept up with an Austin style match.

4 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Hogan/Austin just feels like such a weird pairing to me. Total clash. I can't see Austin working a typical Hogan match and no way Hogan could have kept up with an Austin style match.

Some dream matches work better as "name vs name" but in execution they're a clash in styles, Austin would've suited working with Steiner in a crazy brawl or against Sting as safe hands but not against Goldberg or Hogan.

On Subject of Austin you have to wonder how much longer he'd have been able to go on 2002, he left in June and returned in Feb 03 then retired in March, did the time off do more harm than good? Or did the booking and lack of passion from 02 make him think "fuck it" and call it a day.