Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Vamp said:

I can't imagine Austin would have been anywhere near as selfless as The Rock was against Hogan. 

Wasn't it rumoured that Austin was that way because of Hogan? I often remember hearing and reading all those pieces over the years, articles, shoot interviews, and whatnot, that said he hated Hogan for politicking to prevent guys like him from progressing, hence not wanting a match with him, and that that same politicking was also why he was so paranoid about ever potentially losing his spot, hence his regular refusal to job.

I don't know how much of that was ever confirmed, though, so I'd be interested to know from the more informed on here as to whether it was true.

45 minutes ago, Vamp said:

I can't imagine Austin would have been anywhere near as selfless as The Rock was against Hogan. 

Anytime Austin lost on PPV back in the 90s he’d be up straight after the 3 count chasing the heels out of the ring.

Going back to the invasion storyline....back then I was a proper WWE mark. Didn't know much about WCW/ECW, didn't even watch it or give a shit about it so for people like me I kind of get why they used Shane/Stephanie as it gave me some reason to get involved into the storyline in a 'holy shit, where is this going' kind of way.

In hindsight I understand why it could have been done better knowing the talent they had at hand and some they might have used. I remember asking my mate about some of the WCW superstars and he said most of them were crap and Booker T was a shit version of The Rock which told me everything I needed to know, not helped by WWE making many of them look weak anyway.

Would it not have made sense to have WCW take over Smackdown?  

Edited by Briefcase

12 hours ago, Michael_3165 said:

WCW should have come in and mowed down the WWF guys. Really hammered them with the WWF guys having to pull out all the stops to overcome the big adversary. I am dismayed at how incompetent they were (though I do "get" that they didn't have half the stars). Booker, DDP, Awesome et al should have steamrolled over Taker, Austin and Angle. The problem was the simply wasn't enough big name talent to work. I would have bought in Flair earlier as the WCW frontman - furious at Vince for destroying the company that made him a megastar. The whole thing should have made mega money, not a damp squib. 

Mike Awesome should have steam rolled the Undertaker . . .

10 hours ago, Briefcase said:

Think this would've been impossible due to how relatively recently UPN had signed Smackdown up, plus the failure of the XFL only weeks before which UPN had signed up to. Of course everything needs to be taken with a pinch of salt, but the word was that WWE's television partners were pretty insistent on not turning their show over to what they perceived as a 'failed' brand.

I seem to recall WWE had a Saturday night repeat on USA at the time which was considered, but obviously nothing came of it.

10 hours ago, Briefcase said:

The original plan was for WCW to take one of the shows, or to get a new slot for it, but the networks told them to get fucked. In his first few WWF appearances, Booker T was a babyface and was meant to be the top guy in the WCW relaunch. But when networks said no, and fans reacted poorly to the WCW matches they tried out on TV, the idea to make it its own thing was dead in the water and they turned it into a heel faction instead.

I’ve been watching some WWE on the network from 2002, the Eric Bischoff debut just happened - they really ruined it by having him appear backstage first right?

its kind of been airbrushed from history that him being announced as the GM isn’t his actual first appearance and we’ve all just seen him backstage with Booker T so are expecting him, I don’t understand why they did that.

Just now, garynysmon said:

Just to hazard a guess, did the Booker T interaction take place just before a commercial break in order to keep people tuned in?

Yeah it was, can't blame them for the way they did it, it's not like they showed him backstage then had him do a run in on the main event, the crowd was at fever pitch when Vince came out to introduce him a few minutes later