Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

Au contraire, surely a wrestler changing their appearance is the perfect reason to commission a new t-shirt design or action figure? Kids are going to pester their parents for a new [insert name] figure if it has the same hair style and attire as one produced and sold three years ago.

Perhaps - but it would need to perfectly coincide with when the new figure goes into production and so on, so that the figure on release matches what the wrestler looks like then, not how they looked when they started designing it, for optimum success. Otherwise you end up in situations like the video game being released with a roster that feels a year out of date.

They did change Roman, but in all the wrong ways. His look didn’t need changing and I don’t think his music was make or break really. The problem was he had changed from limited promos, mainly being the cool but quiet badass and letting the other two carry the work. They started giving him longer promos that tried to be funny but just came off as lame. They are doing the same with McIntyre now, having the Scottish Pychopath grinning like a fool and saying happy Mother’s Day. Strowman waving like a goon is an even sadder go home segment than Reigns and Lesnar doing a tug of war over the belt. 
They build people up and their idea of pulling the trigger is turning them into a dork. I understand why they would want a top guy who is able to do long promos, but if someone can’t do the smiley Cena promo, don’t force it. Let someone like Big E be that guy if they need one.

Not everyone can be the same type of performer. If they had given Austin a character like The Rock’s he would have been booed out the arena too

• Paid Members

FWIW, there is an episode of Table for Three (think it's a KOTR winners one with Sheamus & Barrett) where Regal gives the advice to change your look up every now and again precisely to coin on that sweet action figure money, IIRC.

But equally, I totally get that Reigns would be a different kettle of fish to many - aside from the figures & the video game, he's the "Big Dog" on all the lunchboxes, group posters, WWE Monopoly box etc etc etc.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

It’d be great if the powers that be could figure out how to break out of the WWE vs Hivemind dynamic, purely because they wouldn’t then have to try to keep redoing the Austin vs McMahon storyline. But I’ve not got the answer for how to do break it, and seemingly neither have they. Have you got any ideas?

If they actually put whoever they picked as the chosen one in engaging, long term storylines and regular unique angles I think that would work. They don't really do proper storylines anymore, they just do matches and it's why no one really gets over.

For all the talk of Daniel Bryan, his great matches got him over to a point but it was the angles and storylines with AJ, Kane, The Shield and Bray Wyatt that really took him to that next level. Likewise Braun Strowman was right on the verge of being the top guy because they booked him to do something different and cool every single week and gave him a great long term fued with Roman. And it was no surprise that Roman was getting less boos and more momentum during this feud too. 

It all comes down to the writing and presentation. A section of the fanbase latches onto the us vs them mentality mostly because there's literally fuck all for them to latch on to when WWE don't actually present them with any other cohesive, relatable or intriguing story to engage with. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Is Bill Apter up to anything these days? He must be old as fuck but he used to be such a fixture of anything to do with wrestling and I haven't heard his name in years.

very active on Twitter, does predictions/recap stuff on YouTube. He did have a podcast a couple of years ago, don't know if that's still going.

Some indies still trot him out for interview segments etc

• Paid Members

Very active on Twitter, youtube, podcast and occasional documentary talking head - I think that's the full bingo for old blokes that hung around wrestling their whole lives. Hope he's not making a twat of himself, he was a really nice guy when I met him a few times.

I haven’t rewatched it in years so this may be faulty memory but at the USS Intrepid who can slam Yokozuna event; when the helicopter landed I’m sure the fans initially chanted “Hogan, Hogan” as they assumed it was Hulk, event host Todd Pettengill was having none of that and down the microphone attempted to get the crowd to chant “Lex, Lex”. Nobody wanted any part of that and he got the same treatment as when someone tries to start a chant at a sporting event but nobody buys it and they then get a chorus of “on your own”. Instead the crowd chanted “Luger, Luger” as his voice sadly trailed away. 

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Maverick said:

Is he not into mad conspiracy theories? Remember him saying some mad stuff about the Benoit murder suicide.

Something to do with the Yakuza calling a hit/assassination on Benoit. Probably trying into Benoits paranoid behaviour in the year prior to the murder/suicide. 

I've no idea why but the name Karrion Kross annoys me no end, I don't watch nxt (or anything but Raw highlights really) so I only just saw his new name in the nxt thread, it just sounds like one of those shite names they all used to have in ECW from 2008 til it finished 

I appreciate its probably so they can copyright it but fucking Karrion? 

Unless him or whoever came up with the name are massive British Sea Power fans then its my least favourite name ever, and even then its with a k and not a c

Tl;dr - Kross'll never headline Wrestlemania because I have an irrational hatred of his fake first name